Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Elway (Not Tom Brady) is the Greatest NFL QB of All Time

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • John Elway (Not Tom Brady) is the Greatest NFL QB of All Time

    http://athlonsports.com/nfl/john-elw...fl-qb-all-time

    Elway comes out on top, with Manning second. I like his methodology, but of course not everyone will, and it obviously won't settle any arguments.

  • #2
    You can setup the criteria and weightings to produce the output you want. Statistical production could be viewed differently based on the rules and officiating at the time each QB played. Athletic ability is subjective based on the ability required with the offensive line and opposing defenses. For example one QB may have needed more running ability based on decision making while another the ability to shift in the pocket. The QB perceived to be less athletic could have greater ability to move up or shift in the pocket compared with another that could run really well. The same could be said for throwing talent - one offense may have required longer throws while another may have required precise timing. One QB may have been a better pocket passer while another could throw better on the run, each just as valuable. Supporting cast is also subjective - sure there is some objectivity to this measure however once you factor in opposing teams, a team with a "poor" supporting cast could have been playing teams with equally poor supporting casts.

    In any case, I like the output of this article

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm all in for an analysis that says John Elway is better than Tom Brady, but a comparison of QBs that doesn't include Sammy Baugh, Sid Luckman, Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr in the conversation is incomplete IMO.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        I'm all in for an analysis that says John Elway is better than Tom Brady, but a comparison of QBs that doesn't include Sammy Baugh, Sid Luckman, Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr in the conversation is incomplete IMO.
        Good point. The article should have been titled "Greatest quarterback of the past 30 years".

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          I'm all in for an analysis that says John Elway is better than Tom Brady, but a comparison of QBs that doesn't include Sammy Baugh, Sid Luckman, Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr in the conversation is incomplete IMO.
          And don't forget the often forgotten Y.A.Tittle. Though I'm no where near old enough to have seen him play, what I've heard from others who have is that he was on a completely different level than any QB in his era and probably for most eras as well.
          #swapping

          Comment


          • #6
            Supporting cast focuses on coaches primarily and does not account for the fact that Brady threw to a whole bunch of no name wide outs early on in his career. This, coming from a Colts fan.

            It also does not factor in defensive field position and turnovers, which is a huge part of winning games in the playoffs. Like someone said, it is incomplete.

            Comment


            • #7
              1. John Elway (BRONCOS)

              2. Peyton Manning (BRONCOS and Colts)

              3. Tom Brady (Patriots)

              4. Brett Favre (Packers)

              5. Joe Montana (49ers)


              WINNER: BRONCOS

              Comment


              • #8
                Elway
                Favre
                Marino
                Brady
                Manning
                "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

                Comment


                • #9
                  I know I have always been biased for Elway, but I have no problem with people arguing Montana as the best, but I do think a big thing people never think about is Walsh and Belichick and the effect they had on those teams, Steve Young who struggled early in his career went on to a hof career in Walsh's system, while Elway won two Superbowl's in just 4 years in that system. Terrell Davis 6th rd pick, Shannon Sharpe 7th rd pick, Rod Smith undrafed, and McCaffrey a free agent who couldn't break into the starting lineup in SF the year before he came to Denver. Elway took a group nobody wanted and won back to back Superbowls.
                  Shannon Sharpe in an interview talked about how Elway had to tell him what to do on each play.
                  Whoever you want to call the best QB all time I think Elway should be in the conversation, and he would be my pick if I needed a qb for one drive.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Even before he was a bronco Peyton was always the greatest to me. Cant compare anything to him his knowledge and ability to be his own OC. Also the level of impact he had on not 1 but 2 franchises. The colts rose to prominence with him and fell off hard when he left. He helped rejuvenate our franchise giving us consistency in winning and the ability to draw in quality free agents without grossly overpaying. We might not have been able to pull in ware ward talib and especially sanders if we had someone else at the helm. I can go on longer.

                    And for the record. I didn't grow up on elway I actually became a bronco fan because of TD when I was a kid so I only caught the tail end of elways career. Which is why I have much more of an opinion on manning than elway.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by flosstein View Post
                      And don't forget the often forgotten Y.A.Tittle. Though I'm no where near old enough to have seen him play, what I've heard from others who have is that he was on a completely different level than any QB in his era and probably for most eras as well.
                      His daughter wrote a book that is amazing. Highly recommended.
                      Giants and Heroes: A Daughter's Memories of Y. A. Tittle
                      Last edited by CoryWinget81; 05-07-2016, 02:24 PM.
                      sigpic

                      Hooray, beer!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                        His daughter wrote a book that is amazing. Highly recommended.
                        Giants and Heroes: A Daughter's Memories of Y. A. Tittle
                        Is it Giants and Heroes: A Daughter's Memories of Y.A. Tittle by Dianne Tittle De Laet?

                        P.S. That was it! I will get it.
                        Last edited by samparnell; 05-07-2016, 03:06 PM.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by chad72 View Post
                          Supporting cast focuses on coaches primarily and does not account for the fact that Brady threw to a whole bunch of no name wide outs early on in his career. This, coming from a Colts fan.

                          It also does not factor in defensive field position and turnovers, which is a huge part of winning games in the playoffs. Like someone said, it is incomplete.
                          Brady didn't throw much to those no-name wide outs. That's why they remained no-name wide outs. He had a great line, great run game support, top 10 defenses, and the best coach/GM perhaps in the history of the game. Brady was a glorified game manager when he got his first three rings, and we saw the team average over 400 yards per game with Cassell at the helm. He's great, but has never been the reason that team moves. Brady in his early years was to the Patriots what Manning was to the Broncos this last year; only not as veteran or intelligent.

                          Funny thing is, Manning's ranking would look even better since he broke a few more records, and won 3 more playoff games and a Super Bowl this past season.
                          Last edited by Doogansquest; 05-07-2016, 03:41 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            How many points do they deduct for asterisks?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                              I know I have always been biased for Elway, but I have no problem with people arguing Montana as the best, but I do think a big thing people never think about is Walsh and Belichick and the effect they had on those teams, Steve Young who struggled early in his career went on to a hof career in Walsh's system, while Elway won two Superbowl's in just 4 years in that system. Terrell Davis 6th rd pick, Shannon Sharpe 7th rd pick, Rod Smith undrafed, and McCaffrey a free agent who couldn't break into the starting lineup in SF the year before he came to Denver. Elway took a group nobody wanted and won back to back Superbowls.
                              Shannon Sharpe in an interview talked about how Elway had to tell him what to do on each play.
                              Whoever you want to call the best QB all time I think Elway should be in the conversation, and he would be my pick if I needed a qb for one drive.
                              Ditto!

                              Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X