Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elway....Lynch Will Be Ready Sooner Than People Think

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...n-people-think

Paxton Lynch has been talked about as a quarterback needing time to bloom and develop at the NFL level.

First-round passers, though, don't sit for long. Jared Goff and Carson Wentz will play this season -- and Lynch won't be far behind.

"Is that going to happen tomorrow? Probably not, but you never know when it can happen," Broncos football czar John Elway told KDSP-AM on Friday, per Pro Football Talk. "We think he's going to be ready quicker than a lot of people think."

At 6-foot-7 and 246 pounds, Lynch is a fascinating prospect with prototypical size and a powerful arm. Mobile for his build, the former Memphis star would make for a tantalizing fit in coach Gary Kubiak's bootleg-heavy attack. It's no surprise he's drawn comparisons from scouts to Marcus Mariota, Cam Newton and Ben Roethlisberger.

"He's a young guy with tremendous athletic ability," Elway said. "He's got the strong arm, can make all the throws, he's smart, and he's a guy that can fit into this offense real well."

The argument for sitting him draws partially from the offense he ran at Memphis, where the quarterback didn't call plays in a huddle or take snaps under center. Digesting and taking command of a weighty playbook will take some time, but the idea of a redshirt campaign -- in today's NFL -- is ridiculous. Especially with Mark Sanchez penciled in as Denver's starter.

"You might hit the home run with Lynch, but because of the mental you might strike out," one scout told Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "He has the best arm. It ain't even close. That big, tall son of a gun can run, too. He's a little spacy, a little different."

Said another talent-evaluator: "For a tall guy he doesn't act like (Dan) McGwire or somebody. He can get out of trouble. He can run. He can make all the throws. Accuracy is good, not great. Just give him a minute ... but Jacksonville gave (Blake) Bortles only four games."

It's a fair point, especially after the Jaguars vowed all offseason to keep Bortles on the sideline for his 2014 rookie campaign. Those promises sound pretty in May, but the rugged autumn makes mincemeat of offseason myths.

Lynch will play -- and he'll do so this season. It's just a matter of when.

~~~~~~~~~~

Lots of good takeaways from this article. Paxton will play this season. Paxton has an arm. Paxton can run.

Ha ha, a little "spacy"....that's ok. When you're that tall, you get used to having "space".

Kubes' variant of the WCO is complex with a big playbook that needs to be memorized backwards and forwards first. A rookie will need that edge if he's going to start, but that takes time to learn unless the kid is some kind of genius. I can see him getting garbage time snaps if we have them though.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
      Kubes' variant of the WCO is complex with a big playbook that needs to be memorized backwards and forwards first. A rookie will need that edge if he's going to start, but that takes time to learn unless the kid is some kind of genius. I can see him getting garbage time snaps if we have them though.
      Ball security will be a big deal regardless of who is at QB. Kubiak's signal caller needs to know the playbook, as you say, and be able to get everyone lined up right and on the same play. That needs to be done as automatically and with as little hesitation as possible. The script will help.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

A lot of the talking heads in sports media think he needs to sit for 2yrs or more. I think he is a bright enough and skilled enough guy to be capable of starting late season.(week 10 in then on) Maybe even sooner, who knows.

But as long as our D is just as good as it was last season, as long as there is no turnovers on offense, we'll be in good shape.
        Last edited by InsaneBlaze23; 05-08-2016, 01:06 PM.
        sigpic
        Adopted Broncos:
        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
          A lot of the talking heads in sports medai think he needs to sit for 2yrs or more. I think he is a bright enough and skilled enough guy to be capable of starting last season.(week 10 in then on) Maybe even sooner, who knows.

But as long as our D is just as good as it was last season, as long as there is no turnovers on offense, we'll be in good shape.
          Right. It won't take 2+ years. Whoever said that has some 'splainin' to do.

Kubiak says that, for the moment and in TC, the QB reps will be split evenly. They may even give each guy a start with first team in preseason.

As far as Paxton is concerned, the volume of offense he would be required to run, in the event he must start, doesn't need to be huge, and it would be carefully scripted as well.

Comment

Week 11 is the bye week, would make for a nice transition time. Just sayin
            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
              Week 11 is the bye week, would make for a nice transition time. Just sayin
              Makes sense at this point. Then again, and some may not like it, but a lot of this depends on our record.....similar to our situation last season. Say Sanchez is winning games, even if with little flair, I don't think you need to make a QB move unless we are completely convinced Paxton is ready. I do not like messing with the formula if we are kicking butt as a team.

This is not like when someone qualified is injured and is ready to return. We are talking a rookie who has some learning curve considerations. I am sticking with my take on how Elway/Kubes handled things last year.....and I still support their decisions. I am sure they will handle this year's QB situation wisely as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                Makes sense at this point. Then again, and some may not like it, but a lot of this depends on our record.....similar to our situation last season. Say Sanchez is winning games, even if with little flair, I don't think you need to make a QB move unless we are completely convinced Paxton is ready. I do not like messing with the formula if we are kicking butt as a team.

This is not like when someone qualified is injured and is ready to return. We are talking a rookie who has some learning curve considerations. I am sticking with my take on how Elway/Kubes handled things last year.....and I still support their decisions. I am sure they will handle this year's QB situation wisely as well.
                I was saying the same thing. Even if he puts up very basic Alex smith numbers if the team is winning there is no justification to pull him. People tend to rally behind average and below average QB play aslong as the team wins. Why? Idk. It would only chase a rift on the locker room at that point. Only way Sanchez gets removed as the starter is b2b losses with poor performances or a performance so terrible you have no choice but to pull him mid game.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...n-people-think

Paxton Lynch has been talked about as a quarterback needing time to bloom and develop at the NFL level.

First-round passers, though, don't sit for long. Jared Goff and Carson Wentz will play this season -- and Lynch won't be far behind.

"Is that going to happen tomorrow? Probably not, but you never know when it can happen," Broncos football czar John Elway told KDSP-AM on Friday, per Pro Football Talk. "We think he's going to be ready quicker than a lot of people think."

At 6-foot-7 and 246 pounds, Lynch is a fascinating prospect with prototypical size and a powerful arm. Mobile for his build, the former Memphis star would make for a tantalizing fit in coach Gary Kubiak's bootleg-heavy attack. It's no surprise he's drawn comparisons from scouts to Marcus Mariota, Cam Newton and Ben Roethlisberger.

"He's a young guy with tremendous athletic ability," Elway said. "He's got the strong arm, can make all the throws, he's smart, and he's a guy that can fit into this offense real well."

The argument for sitting him draws partially from the offense he ran at Memphis, where the quarterback didn't call plays in a huddle or take snaps under center. Digesting and taking command of a weighty playbook will take some time, but the idea of a redshirt campaign -- in today's NFL -- is ridiculous. Especially with Mark Sanchez penciled in as Denver's starter.

"You might hit the home run with Lynch, but because of the mental you might strike out," one scout told Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "He has the best arm. It ain't even close. That big, tall son of a gun can run, too. He's a little spacy, a little different."

Said another talent-evaluator: "For a tall guy he doesn't act like (Dan) McGwire or somebody. He can get out of trouble. He can run. He can make all the throws. Accuracy is good, not great. Just give him a minute ... but Jacksonville gave (Blake) Bortles only four games."

It's a fair point, especially after the Jaguars vowed all offseason to keep Bortles on the sideline for his 2014 rookie campaign. Those promises sound pretty in May, but the rugged autumn makes mincemeat of offseason myths.

Lynch will play -- and he'll do so this season. It's just a matter of when.

~~~~~~~~~~

Lots of good takeaways from this article. Paxton will play this season. Paxton has an arm. Paxton can run.

Ha ha, a little "spacy"....that's ok. When you're that tall, you get used to having "space".
                  I disagree, IMO the "ideal" situation will be that he doesn't need to start/play this season and can be our starter come 2017. If he ends up starting this season it is because he was great in camp/preseason - which would be great but probably isn't going to happen - or Sanchez really sucks or gets hurt. I would prefer that the Broncos are winning with Sanchez starting and we are able to allow Paxton to develop for 2017, I think that is very possible to happen. Sanchez could surprise and as long as we are winning there will be no reason to change QBs.
                  Nowadays too many QBs a pressed into service their rookie year and for most that isn't ideal for their career, I don't care how many teams are doing it, it isn't working for most.
                  sigpic

Comment

One thing to consider is not all QB situations are the same. Starting a rookie on a bad team is not the same as on a good team with players , coaching and a system around him to help with the learning curve.

I was speculating last week that Lynch has a good shot at beating out Sanchez. He is the better talent.

Instead of comparing rookies failing for Cleveland. Where coincidentally vets fail too. I compare Lynch's opportunity to Flacco, Big Ben and Wilson. A talented rookie earning the spot over a marginal journeyman. Ironically, you could also add Sanchez's success his rookie / sophomore years to the list.

My ideal situation is Lynch winning the job and respect of his teammates in training camp. And beats the Panthers opening night. That is ideal!

Comment

Let's not discuss since the experts know everything, they are so smart they had us losing to the steelers, pats and panthers

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                        One thing to consider is not all QB situations are the same. Starting a rookie on a bad team is not the same as on a good team with players , coaching and a system around him to help with the learning curve.

I was speculating last week that Lynch has a good shot at beating out Sanchez. He is the better talent.

Instead of comparing rookies failing for Cleveland. Where coincidentally vets fail too. I compare Lynch's opportunity to Flacco, Big Ben and Wilson. A talented rookie earning the spot over a marginal journeyman. Ironically, you could also add Sanchez's success his rookie / sophomore years to the list.

My ideal situation is Lynch winning the job and respect of his teammates in training camp. And beats the Panthers opening night. That is ideal!
                        If last year is any indication, our qb is not gonna have to do everything that some quarterbacks do. I could see Lynch succeeding with a slightly vanilla scheme, starting out as a game manager whose job is to not turn the ball over. At this point I don't think I'd be surprised if Lynch is starting game 1.
                        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                        sigpic

Comment

Have a feeling Lynch path has not even been decided at this point.

My guess is Kubes and Co will watch Lynch through OTAs and if everything looks good move forward when pads get put on.

Looks good...move forward...rinse repeat

If Lynch shows signs he is not rdy then a longer development path will be taken ....with I hope certain milestones that will trigger acceleration paths.

If it gets all the way to preseason and it is felt a certain path is required we may see Seimien before Lynch this year.

We may see Lynch starting week 1 if everything goes amazing.

My guess is coaches have things they want to see but at this time there are many different development paths ready for whatever the coaches see Lynch needs to become our franchise qb.

My opinion....if Sanchez is still available to us in 2017 then we probably do not want him anymore. If he does well he will get paid.

Unless it is a really bad thing I would get Lynch a couple games this year at the min to have film to study and work on for offseason 2017. I really trust Kubiak will do this better then Fox ever did.

Lynch may or may not be our starter in 2016 but imo unless something real bad happens he is definitely our starter 2017.
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

In his interview last week, Trevor Siemian said something I found noteworthy. He said that what a football player does physically is limited by his mental command of the game. That would seem especially true for the QB position.

I think Elway has put together a good group of QBs who will work together for team success. Preseason will be interesting ... if it ever gets here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                              Have a feeling Lynch path has not even been decided at this point.

My guess is Kubes and Co will watch Lynch through OTAs and if everything looks good move forward when pads get put on.

Looks good...move forward...rinse repeat

If Lynch shows signs he is not rdy then a longer development path will be taken ....with I hope certain milestones that will trigger acceleration paths.

If it gets all the way to preseason and it is felt a certain path is required we may see Seimien before Lynch this year.

We may see Lynch starting week 1 if everything goes amazing.

My guess is coaches have things they want to see but at this time there are many different development paths ready for whatever the coaches see Lynch needs to become our franchise qb.

My opinion....if Sanchez is still available to us in 2017 then we probably do not want him anymore. If he does well he will get paid.

Unless it is a really bad thing I would get Lynch a couple games this year at the min to have film to study and work on for offseason 2017. I really trust Kubiak will do this better then Fox ever did.

Lynch may or may not be our starter in 2016 but imo unless something real bad happens he is definitely our starter 2017.
                              That's why I'm pretty much reserving any further judgement until after camp/preseason. We really aren't going to have a clear picture until then. It's all going to be dependent on how fast he progresses and we really won't know that until further along in the process.

I still don't anticipate him starting, but who knows. We'll know more in a few months.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X