Elway....Lynch Will Be Ready Sooner Than People Think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    In his interview last week, Trevor Siemian said something I found noteworthy. He said that what a football player does physically is limited by his mental command of the game. That would seem especially true for the QB position.

I think Elway has put together a good group of QBs who will work together for team success. Preseason will be interesting ... if it ever gets here.
    You took the words out of my mouth Sam
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

In his interview last week, Trevor Siemian said something I found noteworthy. He said that what a football player does physically is limited by his mental command of the game. That would seem especially true for the QB position.

I think Elway has put together a good group of QBs who will work together for team success. Preseason will be interesting ... if it ever gets here.
      That's why I suspect Siemian, with a year of Kubiak's Playbook under his belt, may be a bigger factor than some on these Boards suspect. I mean, we saw he could do it, physically, last summer. How much "cramming" can Sanchez do to take the lead on this Team?

Should be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
        That's why I suspect Siemian, with a year of Kubiak's Playbook under his belt, may be a bigger factor than some on these Boards suspect. I mean, we saw he could do it, physically, last summer. How much "cramming" can Sanchez do to take the lead on this Team?

Should be interesting.
        Against people who aren't even in the NFL currently...Lets see him do that against guys that are good enough to make an NFL team before we start proclaiming him the top candidate...

Sanchez has actual experience as a starting QB in both regular season and the playoffs. Trevor played against a bunch of scrubs in the pre-season.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
          Against people who aren't even in the NFL currently...Lets see him do that against guys that are good enough to make an NFL team before we start proclaiming him the top candidate...

Sanchez has actual experience as a starting QB in both regular season and the playoffs. Trevor played against a bunch of scrubs in the pre-season.
          Siemian was playing behind players, on his own team, some of whom are no longer in the NFL, too. Actually, Siemian was playing on an NFL team, playing against players on another NFL team. Did the games count? Were the teams playing for keeps? Of course not. That's obvious to the most casual observor.

Brock osweiler also never had a single NFL start until Manning went down. And the only lengthy experience that HE had was in pre-season games, as well. And yet there were plenty of people arguing that he should be starting, soon after last season even started. Now, thank God, he is a "Franchise QB" on another team commanding a $18 million dollar contract.

Every player has to start somewhere. And Kubiak wasn't afraid to see what the likes of brock osweiler could do over a another 1st Round "Veteran" QB who was on the Broncos Roster at the time.

My point was that Siemian had the "physical" end of it down, and he has more time with Kubiak, now, than Sanchez. Sanchez has a lot of experience for other teams in other systems.

And as I said, it should be interesting.
          Last edited by gtown53; 05-09-2016, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Should be interesting.
            Except that last year was not Kubiak's system. It was Manning's with a little Kubiak sprinkled in. Heard Polumbus commenting on this while he was co-hosting on one of the local radio shows. Tailoring a hybrid for Manning to be successful is much different then what Kubiaks' offense normally looks like.

Playbook will change considerably this year. Siemian has a slight advantage with some familiarity with coaches and parts of the system. Sanchez has the vet advantage. and Lynch has the raw talent.

Depending on how much of a sponge and fast learner Lynch can be this summer he might have another advantage of not having to break bad habits or tendencies.

Comment

In the only interviews of him that I have seen, he came across as very restrained. Maybe cerebral is the correct word. I can't shake the feeling that it's playing out like something we have (kind of) seen before. Lynch=Elway, Siemian=Kubiak, Sanchez=DeBerg. That ended up working out pretty well.
              Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                Except that last year was not Kubiak's system. It was Manning's with a little Kubiak sprinkled in. Heard Polumbus commenting on this while he was co-hosting on one of the local radio shows. Tailoring a hybrid for Manning to be successful is much different then what Kubiaks' offense normally looks like.

Playbook will change considerably this year. Siemian has a slight advantage with some familiarity with coaches and parts of the system. Sanchez has the vet advantage. and Lynch has the raw talent.

Depending on how much of a sponge and fast learner Lynch can be this summer he might have another advantage of not having to break bad habits or tendencies.
                I don't agree with the idea that Siemian didn't have the "real" Kubiak playbook because of Manning, but the bolded portion is ....... fair.

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                  In the only interviews of him that I have seen, he came across as very restrained. Maybe cerebral is the correct word. I can't shake the feeling that it's playing out like something we have (kind of) seen before. Lynch=Elway, Siemian=Kubiak, Sanchez=DeBerg. That ended up working out pretty well.
                  For the few of us who were actually around to see that dynamic, first hand, I find the analogy very interesting. I will never forget Elway's rookie year when people on the local Sports Talk (Irv and Joe), were saying that they wished Gary Kubiak's brain (knowledge of the Offense, and coach on the field abilities) could be transplanted into Elway's body (gifted arm and athletic ability).

If it works out as you suggest, we should have a duo of Lynch and Siemian that will last for years. And although DeBerg would have been conservative Dan Reeves choice for Elway's rookie season, as Tommy Maddox was going to be Elways replacement later on, it was my understanding, at the time, that Reeves was told by Ownership (Edgar Kaiser), in no uncertain terms, that John Elway would indeed be the Starter, and to make it happen. The good news is that Kubiak experienced that period, first hand, and should be able to make the transition for Lynch more .... seamless.

Comment

I don't agree with the idea that Siemian didn't have the "real" Kubiak playbook because of Manning, but the bolded portion is ....... fair.
                    Not sure what you would disagree with about the playbook.

Fairly well documented that the offense ran last year was a hybrid with more compromises by Kubiak then Manning. Broncos did not even have a FB on the roster. Also reiterated by Polumbus last week when he was co-hosting on The Fan. He made several comments of the differences. And the QB qualities best suited to handle the Kubiak offense.

He was pretty clear this year's offense will look and function very different then last years. Who am I to argue with a SB winning OT.

As a compromise, I will agree there will be some chapters of the playbook that may be the same. Just seldom used last year and emphasized this year.

All three QBs are starting on relatively equal terms IMO.

Comment

I dont buy it. I am not saying he doesn't play this year, but why would you say that and kill any momentum sanchez has going? Why put public pressure on pax to be ready? It makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Gsam View Post
                        I dont buy it. I am not saying he doesn't play this year, but why would you say that and kill any momentum sanchez has going? Why put public pressure on pax to be ready? It makes no sense.
                        the public can't add any more pressure than there already is.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X