Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ward-Broncos' D "Light Years Ahead"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ward-Broncos' D "Light Years Ahead"

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...last-offseason

    With the Broncos losing a handful of starters off last year's defense, T.J. Ward has heard all the chatter about Denver taking a step back this season.

    The Pro Bowl safety swatted that down this week, telling Cameron Wolfe of The Denver Post that he expects better in 2016, with the Broncos setting goals for more interceptions, fewer missed tackles and less mental errors than a season ago.

    The loss of defensive lineman Malik Jackson and linebacker Danny Trevathan won't help, but there's still plenty of talent at every level of Denver's defense. The hope inside team walls, per The Post, is that rookie safeties Justin Simmons and Will Parks can also help mask over David Bruton and Omar Bolden leaving in free agency.

    Besides, Broncos players feel all the more confident in Denver's Wade Phillips-led scheme, with Ward saying the team is "light years" ahead of where they were at this time last offseason.

    Much has been made about Denver losing both quarterbacks from 2015, but Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler threw a league-worst 24 combined interceptions last season, while posting a quarterback rating (76.2) that fell far short of the NFL average (89.6).

    It's dangerous to walk into the season with Mark Sanchez as your starter, but football czar John Elway also addressed the position by picking up the tantalizing Paxton Lynch in the first round of the draft.

    "We think he's going to be ready quicker than a lot of people think," Elway said of Lynch, adding: "He's a young guy with tremendous athletic ability. He's got the strong arm, can make all the throws, he's smart, and he's a guy that can fit into this offense real well."

    Whoever starts under center is set up for success. The offense still has plenty of weapons and the defense came out of Super Bowl 50 touted as one of the most disruptive units since the 2000 Baltimore Ravens.

    If Denver is being ignored this offseason, Ward isn't sweating it, saying: "It's a new season. We lost a couple guys on defense. Maybe they like to see us play with a chip on our shoulder. It's more entertaining that way."


    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Although it is sometimes easy to assume our D will automatically be as dominant as it was in the playoffs, and for most of the last season, reading this article gives me added encouragement to what I believe will transpire this season.....our D will again be dominant!

    Yes, we lost some folks this offseason. But we are one year more experienced under our fabulous DC, and we have some young men waiting a for a chance to prove themselves. Like one of the folks on NFL Network said recently, we still have 9 starters returning on D.....and for my money, their replacements may surprise. You know what they say, "the kids are alright."

    You pumped???

  • #2
    Well, to be fair, after a year in the system I should expect they'd be light-years ahead of where they were at this time last year.

    I love that they are striving to be even better! :thumb: I would hate to learn that 2015 would be thought of by the players as the defense's ceiling, hoping to achieve something close to all they did last year.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Rastic View Post
      Well, to be fair, after a year in the system I should expect they'd be light-years ahead of where they were at this time last year.

      I love that they are striving to be even better! :thumb: I would hate to learn that 2015 would be thought of by the players as the defense's ceiling, hoping to achieve something close to all they did last year.
      I concur, but then again, there is some basic wisdom to Wards' commentary. You can have great players, and you can have a great DC, but putting it all together needs time. Therefore I believe that who we have lost will be matched in a positive way by how much smoother we employ the system that Wade has in place. It becomes more and more second nature. Not to mention, some of the folks we have are quite young, with upside to be reached. Think of the young studs we have - Von, Wolfe, Williams, Roby, Ray, Barrett, and others. And yes, we do have experience and proven talent to complement the youth, with Ware and Talib. But they bring other key intangibles, including leadership and inspiration, and yes.....talent!

      Comment


      • #4
        They can be better on third downs. They stepped it up in the playoffs as far as allowing third down conversions, but it is something that they can improve on in the regular season. And, yes, I do feel guilty even typing this out. It's like having a super model wife and telling her that sometimes the wind blows her hair into her face.
        Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by listopencil View Post
          They can be better on third downs. They stepped it up in the playoffs as far as allowing third down conversions, but it is something that they can improve on in the regular season. And, yes, I do feel guilty even typing this out. It's like having a super model wife and telling her that sometimes the wind blows her hair into her face.
          I get you.....the closer you get to perfection, the easier it becomes to point out what is not perfect.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hopefully they keep the chip on their shoulders and go out there and execute. It would almost be poetic for this defense to whip out a back-to-back Superbowl win. 50-51. These guys deserve it with how hard they played last year. With the addition of Booker and a FB in the backfield with hopefully average play at the QB, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

            Top 5 run game, top 5 defense = Championships.

            I hope we can play healthy, and run hard. The D can do the rest.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by IAMRED View Post
              Hopefully they keep the chip on their shoulders and go out there and execute. It would almost be poetic for this defense to whip out a back-to-back Superbowl win. 50-51. These guys deserve it with how hard they played last year. With the addition of Booker and a FB in the backfield with hopefully average play at the QB, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

              Top 5 run game, top 5 defense = Championships.

              I hope we can play healthy, and run hard. The D can do the rest.
              The bolded part is the model I see this season, and at least until we have a big time passer back in the helm. I suspect it will be Paxton, but I do not expect that he will be a top passer at any point in this season. That would be a bonus.

              But yes, a top 5 D is very realistic. And with the improvements made to our run game, top 5 is also very realistic. If we can achieve that, and we get timely/effective passing, we will be a contender in my opinion.

              Comment


              • #8
                They say our D will take a step back this year, and its probably true. That all being said there is no way our offence will be nearly as bad... which should balance out things.. Give up a few more points... score a few more..
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Staying healthy and avoiding stupid mistakes and turnovers are the key to winning the Super Bowl again this year! We have plenty of talent but we still have to play angry and avoid stupid mistakes on both side of the line of scrimmage!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    We lose 2 starters and folks act like there was this mass exodus. Everybody I talk to keeps saying "the broncos defense wont be good they lost half their team" lol we lost 2 starters on D

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                      We lose 2 starters and folks act like there was this mass exodus. Everybody I talk to keeps saying "the broncos defense wont be good they lost half their team" lol we lost 2 starters on D
                      Yeah, but apparently those two starters were 90% of the defensive production last year.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                        They can be better on third downs. They stepped it up in the playoffs as far as allowing third down conversions, but it is something that they can improve on in the regular season. And, yes, I do feel guilty even typing this out. It's like having a super model wife and telling her that sometimes the wind blows her hair into her face.

                        not having malik commiting a stupid penalty after a 3rd down stop will help
                        sigpic
                        when do native Americans become human and not mascots

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by arapaho View Post
                          not having malik commiting a stupid penalty after a 3rd down stop will help
                          Malik is a really good Dliner, but one concern I have had with him were the needless roughing infractions he seemed to incur a little too frequently. That seemed more of an issue in the past, but I am not sure he has mastered that as of yet.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            Malik is a really good Dliner, but one concern I have had with him were the needless roughing infractions he seemed to incur a little too frequently. That seemed more of an issue in the past, but I am not sure he has mastered that as of yet.
                            Good d-liner no doubt about that. I doubt you'll hear his name like you did Julius Peppers though.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by arapaho View Post
                              not having malik commiting a stupid penalty after a 3rd down stop will help
                              not having malik creating pressure up the middle on a consistent basis will hurt. I hope the replacement they put in is close to his equal. His presence will be greatly missed if they can't find a decent replacement. People are greatly undervaluing his contributions to the defense. He was the best Dlinemen the broncos have had in a long long time.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X