Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles, Broncos 'couldn't agree on' Sam Bradford price

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...bradford-price

Was Sam Bradford's ill-fated pre-draft trade request merely a power play to join the Super Bowl champions?

In a Wednesday appearance on The Rich Eisen Show, agent Tom Condon confirmed that the goal was to place Bradford in Denver once the Philadelphia Eagles traded up with the intention of drafting Carson Wentz at No. 2 overall last month.

"We thought we had a chance to go to a really good football team and be there for a long time," Condon explained. "And that opportunity was there and actually the attempt was made.

"When the Broncos contacted the Eagles and talked about the trade, they couldn't agree on the price and so they drafted somebody in the first round," Condon continued. "Now, at that point, our options are pretty limited. So our next best option is to go back and prepare for the season."

It's certainly not unusual for NFL teams to exercise leverage when they boast it. With his future ostensibly blocked in Philadelphia, Bradford went for a leverage grab of his own, attempting to parlay Denver's quarterback vacancy into increased job security and a chance to join a perennial playoff contender.

The Broncos called Philadelphia for a very basic discussion about Bradford's availability, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported prior to the draft, but the Eagles made it clear they wanted to hold onto the sixth-year veteran.

With Bradford off the table, Broncos general manager John Elway found his quarterback of the future by trading up for Memphis star Paxton Lynch late in the draft's first round.

Once Denver's quarterback vacancy was filled, Bradford had little recourse but to report back to Philadelphia with the intention of holding off Wentz and Chase Daniel for the 2016 starting job.
    It sounded like talks were just preliminary. But now it seems like Brad's a little sore with Denver. That's what you get driving your price up when the team that has you to begin with trades up for a QB in the first.
    Last edited by Strip Sacked; 05-11-2016, 05:38 PM.

Thank goodness we didn't trade for him. Bradford on this team would have been worse than Kap, RGIII, Fitzpatrick, etc. He's accomplished nothing in the NFL except collecting huge paychecks.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
      Thank goodness we didn't trade for him. Bradford on this team would have been worse than Kap, RGIII, Fitzpatrick, etc. He's accomplished nothing in the NFL except collecting huge paychecks.
      Yea. Plus he's been a complete turd with Philly since they drafted Wentz.
      :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
      sigpic

Comment

This pretty much blew up all in Bradford's face and now he looks like a fool. I can't blame him for trying. We have an improved line solid run game 2 pro bowl receivers one of which is top 5 when his mind is right and the best defense in the NFL above all that stability in the coaching staff and front office.

Comment

I get the criticism of Bradford. He's a 1st Pick Bust who has done zilch in the Pro's other than to be constantly injured. But let's get real here, it was Philadelphia that signed this zero to 2-year $36 million dollar contract with $26 million guaranteed, on March 1, completely skewing the NFLs salary structure for 3rd-rate QBs. And then Philadelphia turns around and packages a bunch of Picks to move up in the Draft to take another QB.

And then, a week after the bradford signing, the Texans sign a "benched" QB with only 7 games of experience, to a 4-year $72 million dollar Contract.

To me, Philadelphia's Front Office is the "real" problem.

Comment

Dodged a massive bullet with that one!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
              I get the criticism of Bradford. He's a 1st Pick Bust who has done zilch in the Pro's other than to be constantly injured. But let's get real here, it was Philadelphia that signed this zero to 2-year $36 million dollar contract with $26 million guaranteed, on March 1, completely skewing the NFLs salary structure for 3rd-rate QBs. And then Philadelphia turns around and packages a bunch of Picks to move up in the Draft to take another QB.

And then, a week after the bradford signing, the Texans sign a "benched" QB with only 7 games of experience, to a 4-year $72 million dollar Contract.

To me, Philadelphia's Front Office is the "real" problem.
              I think a few years down the road we will see this whole offseason as a blessing in disguise.

We lost BO in a ridiculous manner but we now have a possible franchise and true Gary Kubiak QB on our roster with a fifth year option.

Comment

Funny comments of how badly Bradford "sucks" yet there is continued praise for Sanchez and how wonderful he will be this season all over these forums.

Seems to be a contradiction of opinions to me. I am happy that Bradford did not make his way to Denver but in all honesty he is the better QB and would have given the Broncos a better chance to repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                  Funny comments of how badly Bradford "sucks" yet there is continued praise for Sanchez and how wonderful he will be this season all over these forums.

Seems to be a contradiction of opinions to me. I am happy that Bradford did not make his way to Denver but in all honesty he is the better QB and would have given the Broncos a better chance to repeat.
                  Until proven otherwise, Sanchez is our QB. We know as an Eagle, Bradford sucks, he's not a Bronco, we don't have to have his back, we can call a spade a spade... he's a terrible QB. While it is likely Sanchez isn't any better, we've never seen him play in Kubiak's offense. If these boards had been as prominent when we picked up plummer, people like you would be making the same comments about plummer because his numbers pre-denver were very sanchizesque. So yes... He has been a bad QB in the past, but some of us choose to give him the benefit of the doubt because we realize if anyone is going to squeeze every last drop out of him, it'll be Kubiak.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                    Until proven otherwise, Sanchez is our QB. We know as an Eagle, Bradford sucks, he's not a Bronco, we don't have to have his back, we can call a spade a spade... he's a terrible QB. While it is likely Sanchez isn't any better, we've never seen him play in Kubiak's offense. If these boards had been as prominent when we picked up plummer, people like you would be making the same comments about plummer because his numbers pre-denver were very sanchizesque. So yes... He has been a bad QB in the past, but some of us choose to give him the benefit of the doubt because we realize if anyone is going to squeeze every last drop out of him, it'll be Kubiak.
                    So if that trade for Bradford actually was made you would be changing your tune about how badly he is overrated and sucks and "supporting" his abilities by giving him the benefit of doubt.

Got it. Thanks for explaining that to me. Sounds a bit hypocritical but why judge. We all have our opinions.

Comment

My issue with Bradford in this whole thing is less about his play and more about his attitude, history of injury, and whinyness.

First of all Bradford has been paid a ridiculous amount of money and hasn't really ever done anything to earn any of it. He seems to be made of glass and can't stay on the field because he always gets hurt.

Then he accepts $26M guaranteed to play in PHI but when he realizes they drafted Wentz and he might have a little competition, he demands a trade? Seriously? You're worried about a rookie beating you out?

I then compared Bradford's presser and response to potential competition to Sanchez's presser after we drafted Lynch. Completely different attitude and approach. Sanchez said he welcomed it, would do anything to help Lynch and if he got beat out, so be it. I respect that. I want someone with that kind of attitude on my team. Not some whiny baby who's afraid of competition.

Perhaps Bradford is a better QB. But who knows at this stage.

But if he can't stay on the field and has no fire in his belly to enter into a battle, then I'd rather have the guy who demonstrates leadership and fight over being a baby any day.

So I guess we'll have to see how it plays out on the field as to who is the better QB. And I wonder how much Bradford's teammates will be behind him after all this. Will certainly be interesting.
                      Last edited by broncoslover115; 05-12-2016, 07:43 AM.
                      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

I think its the amount of uncertainty that comes with Bradford. He is often injured and I don't ever recall him being in the playoffs. At least with Sanchez we know he can play a full season and we know he can perform in the playoffs. I agree that Bradford is better but for this team and what we are trying to accomplish I would put more faith in Sanchez to do it.

Comment

So if that trade for Bradford actually was made you would be changing your tune about how badly he is overrated and sucks and "supporting" his abilities by giving him the benefit of doubt.

Got it. Thanks for explaining that to me. Sounds a bit hypocritical but why judge. We all have our opinions.
                          Honestly? Probably not mainly because I have zero respect for the guy, he's made of glass, over paid and threw a hissy fit because the eagles gave him some competition.

What really changed my tune on Sanchez was the fact that since he got in the door he's busted his butt off... He didn't say a negative word about us drafting Lynch because it didn't impact him, he knew there was going to competition and he's already been putting in maximum effort to be ready for it.

I still have zero faith in the guy, but he's earned my respect as a person by his work ethic. It's not so much that I support his abilities, it's that I know he's our best shot until Lynch is ready and while he hasn't been a great QB at times, he has shown promise.

Plus there is this...

QB A prior to coming to Denver averaged 2,937 yards, 15 TD's, 19 INT's and 9 fumbles per season.

QB B averaged 2,902 yards, 16 TD's, 16 INT's and 10 fumbles per season.

QB A is Jake Plummer, Sanchez is the other. That by itself should be enough for we as fans to cut Sanchez some slack Sanchez may not have it in him to make a plummer-esque turn around, however we know that Kubiak has already taken a QB similar in performance to Sanchez and turned him into a star.

Plummer's numbers post-Kubiak (excluding 2006)
                          3,212 yards, 20 TD's 11 INT's and 4 fumbles per season.

Kubiak has proven throughout his coaching career that he gets the most out of QB's that others might not want...That is why we give Sanchez a chance.
                          sigpic

Comment

I respect the reasoning. There is even a part of me that is hoping for the best from Sanchez too. I agree the stability , coaching and system gives reason to believe.

But the Sanchez "attitude and hard work" does not impress me as much. I am a longtime USC fan. I tend to follow ex- Trojans out of interest. I have seen this part of Sancez before. He has always been charismatic, said the right things and worked hard. Even plays well for the most part. Until he makes the critical mistake at the wrong time. It is who he is.

I am fine with him as a backup. He is very professional and does not have the same ego driven hissy fits as Bradford just had. Hope he stays with the Broncos a few years in that role in fact. Or until Siemian takes that role from him.

My issue is with this mentality that just because a player puts on a Bronco uniform he suddenly becomes a different player. I understand optimism and faith in the organization but at times it becomes absurd around here. I commented above because some of the Bradford comments were going that way.

Comment

I personally don't blame Bradford for trying, The writing is on the wall in Philly, a place he didn't choose to go. He saw a chance at going to a SB champ team with an offense that would likely fit him well with a coach who is known for taking qb's and coaching them to their most successful years. I don't blame him a bit for trying it. That said, I'm glad Elway didn't go for it. He is way overpaid let alone giving up anything to get him. I feel like he would've been better than Sanchez probably, but not enough to take his salary on. I also don't think he was the long term future here either. Rather roll with Sanchez until our rookie is ready and move forward
                              My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Working...
                              X