Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aqib Talib says he gave Osweiler 'fair warning' not to leave Denver for more money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aqib Talib says he gave Osweiler 'fair warning' not to leave Denver for more money

An older article, but one I found and liked nonetheless. If it's a duplicate thread or doesn't belong please delete.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/aqib...denver-broncos

Former teammate Aqib Talib said he did his best to convince Osweiler to stay with the defending champs. The veteran cornerback told the Russilo & Kanell show on ESPN Radio that he tried to warn Osweiler about the dangers of choosing money over the right situation:

“I did [talk to Osweiler about free agency]. What I do, I tell the young guys — young guys like Malik [Jackson] and Brock — I tell them it’s not always greener on the other side. I’ve been on the other side before. It may look like $100 million but after about two 3-13 seasons, that whole contract is gone. There’s a whole new staff in there. Once the guaranteed money is all gone, it ain’t really what it look like. I gave him fair warning, man.”

While it’s hard for any young player to turn down that much money, Talib does have a point. A lot of Osweiler’s value was based on team success. The first thing Osweiler supporters will mention is his 5-2 record. His stats (and performance as a whole) were underwhelming last season. The Broncos may have offered him less money but that doesn’t factor in the added value winning brings to any quarterback. And without team success, teams are less inclined to pay out the full value of a contract. If the Texans are losing, Osweiler will not see all of the $72 million he signed up for.

Talib gets a lot of heat for his attitude and penalties. But this is the kind of mindset I like having in our backfield. He does a lot for our leadership, and I don't mind one bit if our corners learn from this guy. Hopefully a few less personal fouls, but I'll take the toughness!

I had that conversation already. So based on Os's contract and what I see as his TRUE value he will make 18.5 million per year. He is guaranteed 37 million in the first two years of his contract. So even if he doesn't pan out there he will make about 13 million per year over a three year period. Now if we were to assume that he fails with the TExans he will never see the money past the guaranteed $$. This means he will likely wind up being cut after year 2-3. Assuming he gets another chance elsewhere he might end up making 5-7 mil a season as a backup for the remaining 2-3 years.

All in all his salary with the Texans and prospects thereafter still net him more money then what the Broncos offered. Despite what Talib said. Now the real question then becomes is money more important to you when your earning 15+ mil a year or is winning important as well?

Comment

Never understood why people use the teams success to overrate/underrate QBs. People get a "pay the man" attitude towards players when they win.

Comment

Hey, not bad cash for a backup QB that was benched in the season finale for a QB that was playing worse than him when he took over..

Talib has a great point though... good on him.
        sigpic

Comment

Make no mistake about it nearly everyone in the USA makes a living on 100k a year or less. Do not need 18 mil instead of 16m to pay the bills....10m guarenteed would be more then a lot of families make in a lifetime.

Oz would have been set for life signing a 18m a year contract or a 16m a year even if the guarentees were only like 10m total.

To Oz, and Malik, it was more important to make a couple EXTRA million dollars.

I see Talib's point....he enjoys winning and being a millionaire more then losing and being a bigger millionaire.

Maybe Oz and Malik never see the playoffs again....maybe their teams become contenders this year. Who knows.

Me...I think taking the 16m a year and playing for a team like the Broncos who have a pretty good setup for a young qb means I will probably sign a rediculously large contract next time if I am any good at playing qb.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

This, among other reasons, is why I laugh when people bring up the idea of cutting or trading Talib or saying he's overpaid. Talib has the right attitude, and helps establish the culture of kicking and screaming and WINNING that John Elway has wanted since he took over. Talib is not going anywhere. I hope he retires here. He seems like the type of guy who'd be willing to move to safety when his cover skills diminish.
            :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
            sigpic

Comment

i hope that means he will be willing to restructure if Elway asks him
              sigpic

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

Comment

Originally posted by canadiansbronco View Post
                Lol. He's not overpaid.
                :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by canadiansbronco View Post
                  Hes underpaid if anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                    I had that conversation already. So based on Os's contract and what I see as his TRUE value he will make 18.5 million per year. He is guaranteed 37 million in the first two years of his contract. So even if he doesn't pan out there he will make about 13 million per year over a three year period. Now if we were to assume that he fails with the TExans he will never see the money past the guaranteed $$. This means he will likely wind up being cut after year 2-3. Assuming he gets another chance elsewhere he might end up making 5-7 mil a season as a backup for the remaining 2-3 years.

All in all his salary with the Texans and prospects thereafter still net him more money then what the Broncos offered. Despite what Talib said. Now the real question then becomes is money more important to you when your earning 15+ mil a year or is winning important as well?
                    Also keep in mind that Texas is a "NO STATE TAX" state so 'financially speaking' Houston's grass is greener even if Denver had been foolish enough to match.

In the un-guaranteed world of NFL contracts and short NFL careers, I don't blame any player for 'taking the money' for hopefully securing their life after football.
                    Last edited by Mel B.; 05-30-2016, 09:25 AM.

Comment

While I wholeheartedly agree with Talib's advice... I will also see it from Malik & Brock's perspective too (putting the $$$ aside).

For both, it's almost as if this was 3-parts pride (respect) and 1-part spite (respect). Athletes are mostly all ego (as well as all for the money).

For Brock, he probably didn't like the Kubiak offense (maybe didn't even like the coach) and he probably felt miffed he was benched (and robbed of his glory). Since Elway never did give him an extension, he was probably worried about his job security.

For guys who aren't really the "man" they get pissed when somebody douses them with a bucket of reality... OZ wanted to be the man, he felt he paid his dues and he wanted to be handed something he didn't necessarily earn... Along comes TEX, with more money in a warmer climate, a no state tax environment... QB friendly coach who sold him on an offense, and promised him shiny new toys...

Players get caught up in the courting process and become inebriated when swept off their feet with praise. He wants to go to a place that view him as "the man" (HOU only knows that they get a guy who was 5-2... They haven't seen the warts)... OZ can act like he is something that he could never get away with in DEN.

For Malik, maybe he wants to get out of the Von and Ware shadow. Maybe he was upset he wasn't offered an extension last summer... This is his 1 payday, and maybe he wanted every last penny. He might think that Bortles is better than DEn's QB situation, and he sees the young defense they are building... He also goes to a warm, no state tax environment... He, like Brock, get to be the man now... Not a supporting cast member.

In a way, it is about the money, but in so many other ways, it's about the ego.

You see it all the time... Often, players will take 1 penny more just to leave and feel welcome... Sign for same money they would scuff at if their former team proposed it.
                      Last edited by fraguela09; 05-31-2016, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Looking back at the situation with Brock and Malik, I think we will miss Malik but Brock......meh. I am glad that Denver ended up with the QBs they have. The offense will be just as good if not better without him. IMO the only thing that Brock brings to the table that is better than other options is the knowledge of the playbook. They money saved vs players attained I think is a win for Denver

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                          ... Along comes TEX, with more money in a warmer climate, a no state tax environment... QB friendly coach who sold him on an offense, and promised him shiny new toys...
                          Brock didn't have a single conversation with O'Brien until after he was signed.
                          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

[QUOTE=JvDub95;5436951]Looking back at the situation with Brock and Malik, I think we will miss Malik but Brock......meh. I am glad that Denver ended up with the QBs they have. The offense will be just as good if not better without him. IMO the only thing that Brock brings to the table that is better than other options is the knowledge of the playbook. They money saved vs players attained I think is a win for Denver[/QUOTE]

When considering the QB situation, it is only a win for the Broncos if Lynch is successful. And relatively soon too.

If Lynch does not reach the potential we all "think" he can then looking back on this series of moves will be considered disappointing. Broncos are in a win now scenario with this roster, primarily on defense.. Hope that it is not squandered because of misplaced indifference by management.

This continued criticism of Osweiler just indicates how hard some fans are trying to convince themselves of the Broncos "better without him " mentality. Until Lynch develops or Sanchez manages to be successful the Broncos are not better. I am excited about Lynch. IMO he can and will be better. But until he actually proves it on the field he is just another prospect in a league with a high QB failure rate.

Your ex broke up with you, let them go. It is all right if they move on and are happy. Same with you.

There were several other players that left too. Turnover rate in the NFL is usually pretty significant. Especially on good teams. Broncos still have a solid roster. Players leave for all kinds of reasons. Including a bigger payday. Elway made his decisions. So did the players. Aren't we past bitterly complaining about those decisions?

New season. New roster. New direction. Lets enjoy the ride. Go Broncos!

Comment

Putting things in perspective and doing a little bit of simple math, I've turned down the same pay increase percentage that brock took (18 to 16 mil or 11ish %) to keep my family in it's current schools and keep all my friends and family close and to stay at a job where I like the people and know exactly what I'm doing.

The only real reason Brock could have to leave was because he wanted to stick it the Broncos for embarrassing him and I think his money siphoning parasite agent filled his brain with images of greatness on a new team. Kind of reminds me of Rocky V when Tommy Gunn goes with the Don King-like promoter George W. Duke. I can just hear Jimmy Sexton (Brock's Agent) whispering to Brock "Do you want to live in Manning's shadow forever? Time to put some hustle behind this muscle." as he tells the Bronco's "touch me and i'll sue".

Comment

Working...
                              X