X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos' defense confident it can repeat 2015 performance

Jeff Legwold
    ESPN Staff Writer

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- It’s only May, the Denver Broncos are months away from games that matter and already tired of the Broncos-defense-will-take-a-step-back narrative that has trailed them since their Super Bowl 50 win.

They are closing in on next month’s expected trip to the White House, the fruits of their win over the Carolina Panthers will officially close the celebration, and the guys on what was the league's No. 1 defense want to know why so many believe they can't do it again in 2016.

“We’re going to the White House in a few weeks,’’ safety T.J. Ward said recently. “It’s a new year. It’s a new season. We lost a couple guys on defense. Maybe they like us to play with a chip on our shoulders. It’s more entertaining that way.’’

The Broncos' defense in the playoffs stymied the Nos. 1, 3 and 4 scoring offenses in the league.
    "They" is a popular word these days. Broncos defenders have certainly made notes of every mention of defensive end Malik Jackson’s and linebacker Danny Trevathan’s departure. While both were highly productive for the Broncos, neither was named to a Pro Bowl, and the Broncos return nine starters (defensive coordinator Wade Phillips put the number at 10 since cornerback Bradley Roby is on the field so much) on a defense that lead the league in almost every category last season.

You’ll have to excuse the Broncos when they get a little testy that some believe -- because Peyton Manning retired and Brock Osweiler left in free agency with Jackson and Trevathan -- they will follow the franchise’s third Super Bowl win with an 8-8 or 7-9 record.

“I think people are just saying that because we lost two quarterbacks,’’ Roby said. “I don’t know the last time that’s happened, but when people see events that haven’t happened before, they automatically doubt. We know that defense was a big reason why we got to the game and why we won the game. We’re very confident that we’ll be better this year. I think we’ll be a lot better this year.”

There is also the matter of Von Miller, the Super Bowl MVP and the best edge rusher on a team. He led the league in sacks and pass defense. Miller, who was designated a franchise player, has not attended the Broncos’ offseason program as his representatives try to negotiate a long-term deal.

The deadline for Miller to sign a long-term contract is July 15. The Broncos are hopeful Miller is taking care of his workouts in between his travel as the face the of the Broncos’ long victory celebration.

Miller and the Broncos, as well as players including cornerback Aqib Talib, have expressed confidence a deal will get done and Miller will be ready to return to his role in the defense. And with that, all would be well.

“Ultimately defense is about effort,’’ said defensive end Derek Wolfe. “Our defense plays with a ton of effort. It doesn’t matter what adjustments people will make. We’re going to play hard. That’s what it comes down to. I think a lot of defenses lose it not just because of people adjusting to what they do, but it’s because they lose guys to free agency. You lose that chemistry. You’ve got to keep that chemistry. That’s why we’re such a great defense. We care about each other. That’s why we’re such a good team because we all have each other’s back.’’

As the Broncos plow through their offseason workouts they continue to believe that they will be a Super Bowl contender again, with a defense worthy of a title. That they have covered their losses in free agency and that the starters who remain will maintain their level of play.

“Everybody is entitled to their opinions, but we’re just going to keep working and keep getting better,’’ safety Darian Stewart said. “This is our second year together. It’s going to be hell for teams this year.’’

Source: ESPN.com

I have to agree with Steward. Going in to their second season in Phillips system nearly 90% in tact, there is no reason to believe they should not be able to be as good or better.

Darian Stewart:
    It’s going to be hell for teams this year.
    I'm on board with that! :thumb:

Edit: Interesting, with all the talk of loosing Trevathon and, especially, Jackson, I was surprised to learn neither was voted to the Pro Bowl last season, not that they would have gone had they been.
    Last edited by Rastic; 05-26-2016, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
      I have to agree with Steward. Going in to their second season in Phillips system nearly 90% in tact, there is no reason to believe they should not be able to be as good or better.

I'm on board with that! :thumb:

Edit: Interesting, with all the talk of loosing Trevathon and, especially, Jackson, I was surprised to learn neither was voted to the Pro Bowl last season, not that they would have gone had they been.
      Shane ray is going to be a beast this year.... just you wait.

Comment

Seems to me it's easier to maintain the continuity of a great D much easier than maintaining a great O. Lose 1 major part of an O like your QB or star RB and you're in deep trouble. On D, lose a major contributor or 2 and those around him can step up their game to fill the void...maybe because great D's are made up of "overlapping" parts where great O's are made up of "interlocking" parts.

Just a crazy thought on a morning where I'm still half asleep
        "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
        PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
        LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

They can do it for sure. But someone else on that defensive line will have to step up. We know Wolfe will bring it. But who else will elevate their play the next level?

Comment

Not only do I think they will be just as good, but I believe they will be even better. I think they will find another gear and really press the limits of opposing offenses.
            #swapping

Comment

Wade phillips said the Defense is already way ahead of where they were last season ...
              in this 2nd year of his scheme.
              -
              LOVE IT.
              -
              Let all the other teams keep underestimating us. With an even better defense...
              and a much better, run first smash mouth, protect the ball offense..
              it aint gonna be any fun to be in the visitors locker room at Mile High.
              - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
                Shane ray is going to be a beast this year.... just you wait.
                Shane Ray.. AND Shaq Barret...

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Broncos gonna be good.. gonna prove 'em all wrong...
                  however... Raiders gonna compete.
                  -
                  Thank God Jack Del Rio will figure a way out to screw it up for his talented team, though.
                  -
                  Bad Coaching overcomes good talent every time.

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

I think 2nd year in the system is being so overlooked.

Less mental mistakes which is really the only weakness we seemed to have last year were big plays where nobody was there

Malik is being overrated...Treathan I'm disappointed we didn't at least offer a contract to...I feel 7mil was matchable but otherwise...

QB situation can't be any worse....oline should be better

Injury is a huge factor but if we stay healthy...can't wait to watch the ridiculous entertainment that is our defense. Hopefully offense can actually be entertaining this year as well

Rooting for Lynch to grab the job. But cool with Mark at least starting up front or maybe...with so much less pressure at this stage in his career....he can really be an effective quality QB

I like Sanchez...one goofy play doesn't define a guys' career...yeah he's made some poor mistakes as well...but he's also never been in this good of a situation before with this much talent everywhere.

Comment

This much talent...
                      but also.
                      this scheme and Wade Phillips system.
                      -
                      I heard today... that Wade's system is very adaptable....
                      to the strengths of the players, yet still being in the system.
                      -
                      An example given...
                      was to look for defensive schemes..
                      where it is ZONE on one side of the field...
                      and MAN coverage on the other.
                      -
                      That will drive opposing QB's crazy.
                      What to do?
                      -
                      It aint like Madden... where a kid simply plugs in a defenseive scheme.
                      Man or Zone.
                      -
                      Wade is crafty, and has an intricate system...
                      that shifts and flows....
                      and the players are now used to it...
                      so they will not be
                      "thinking, questioning themselves and wondering if they are doing it right"
                      instead they will be functioning well within the scheme Wade plans.

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                        They can do it for sure. But someone else on that defensive line will have to step up. We know Wolfe will bring it. But who else will elevate their play the next level?
                        There's not much difference from the DL in last year and now.

Antonio Smith/Malik gone, close to the same DL as last year.

Sly, Wolfe, Walker, Crick, Gotsis, Kilgo, Taylor, even Anunike is still better than most DL's in the NFL.

Comment

Year two in the system is a good point.

Losing Danny/Malik will hurt but the media makes it seem like they're Luke Kuechly and JJ Watt.

Wade's defenses usually decline some in the 2nd year.

But he hasnt had this much talent on defense. The defense is built off edge rushers/secondary and thats still intact. The DL is still better than alot of teams.

Comment

Knowing Marshall wants a long time contract with Denver, he's already awesome, I say he steps up his game even more this year with the loss Trevathon ... I'm so looking forward to seeing how are defense looks this september, I think their going to be very tough, and still with the lack of respect they got for all they did last year, they'll just have to do it again.
                            sigpic
                            Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
                            Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                            Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                            Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

If they can stay healthy this defense has an opportunity to perform as the best ever-- there are no flaws and almost every position is scary with starting and backup talent.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X