Von (maybe ?) Threatening To Hold Out 2016 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Von (maybe ?) Threatening To Hold Out 2016 Season

According to Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson, there is "now a possibility" Broncos franchise player Von Miller "could sit out the 2016 season entirely."

Robinson reports Miller accepted the years and total money in the Broncos' six-year, $114.5 million offer, but "everything fell apart" when the sides weren't in the same ballpark on guarantees. Per Robinson, the "six-year" offer can be "dumped" after two seasons at $38.5 million guaranteed. Ndamukong Suh accepted less total money from the Dolphins, but landed $60 million in guarantees. The Giants guaranteed Olivier Vernon $52.5 million. The Broncos "shut down negotiations" when Miller refused, viewing it as "nothing less than a total rejection of terms." As Robinson tells it, the Broncos leaked the offered terms to the media on Wednesday, which might "seem to be an effort to put Miller in less-than-flattering light."

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6500/von-miller

It will get settled soon. Miller isn't going to lose that kind of money! Denver will up their guarantee and they will kiss and make up!

Comment

I heard Chad Brown and Dmac say that if he were to sit out the entirety of the season that it would mean a lot less compensation to the Broncos if they tagged him again after this season.

Meaning another team wouldn't have to give up much to sign him.

I didn't click the your link or read the article.
      I see it as nothing more than click Bate.
      it's not a big deal but you should always copy and paste the entire article here so the rest of us can read it that way we don't have to give these jokers any clicks.
      Last edited by Sam_Z; 06-09-2016, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Wow, what a stretch.

Miller will not sit out the season. Both side are posturing and will eventually meet somewhere near the middle.

Click-bait, nothing less. This guy is reaching.
        Last edited by Rastic; 06-09-2016, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Wait where did Miller say he would hold out?
          What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
          I don't know and I don't care

Comment

I am viewing this negotiation way too simplistically but why does this have to become so contentious that either side needs to posture and flex their media muscle?

The deal is on the table. Both sides want to get it done. Market value is established and worth is acknowledged. Deal should be completed and both sides go happily on their ways into another glorious season. Miller steps into the leadership void and face of the franchise role. Broncos have a marquee player to market and promote. So simple!

And then the Broncos low ball the guaranteed money. Followed closely by releasing the info to the public to establish the "Miller is being greedy" theme to all the middle class fans that begrudge Miller getting millions for a game anyways. Miller steps away and now the threat of sitting out the season comes into play. Makes no sense to negotiate this way.

Pay the man and lets move on. This is ridiculous. The market is established. Give Miller a bit more guaranteed then Houston (apporx. $55M) and sign the contract.

Not a good week for the Broncos in the news. Top stories this week are either "star player shot under questionable circumstances" or "arguably the best defensive player in the League in contentious contract negotiations" overshadowing the visit to the White House celebration and OTA's. Then again it might be a good thing to distract from the QB situation.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
              I am viewing this negotiation way too simplistically but why does this have to become so contentious that either side needs to posture and flex their media muscle?

The deal is on the table. Both sides want to get it done. Market value is established and worth is acknowledged. Deal should be completed and both sides go happily on their ways into another glorious season. Miller steps into the leadership void and face of the franchise role. Broncos have a marquee player to market and promote. So simple!

And then the Broncos low ball the guaranteed money. Followed closely by releasing the info to the public to establish the "Miller is being greedy" theme to all the middle class fans that begrudge Miller getting millions for a game anyways. Miller steps away and now the threat of sitting out the season comes into play. Makes no sense to negotiate this way.

Pay the man and lets move on. This is ridiculous. The market is established. Give Miller a bit more guaranteed then Houston (apporx. $55M) and sign the contract.

Not a good week for the Broncos in the news. Top stories this week are either "star player shot under questionable circumstances" or "arguably the best defensive player in the League in contentious contract negotiations" overshadowing the visit to the White House celebration and OTA's. Then again it might be a good thing to distract from the QB situation.
              that isn't arguable. the best defensive player is JJ Watt. no question about it....
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                that isn't arguable. the best defensive player is JJ Watt. no question about it....
                Are you trying to start an argument?
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                  Wait where did Miller say he would hold out?
                  I took the article as speculation of what they thought he would do. I don't believe his camp has said he would hold out yet
                  sigpic

Comment

In your opinion...
                    sigpic

Comment

So for your purposes only, insert "Miller is arguably the 2nd best defensive player in the league".

My point is the guaranteed money among the top defenders has been established. The top tier is getting paid in the $50-60M range. Or 50-65% of their overall contract.

So why do the Broncos decide to offer $39M guaranteed or approx 35% of his contract?

I understand why Miller and his agent would be a bit frustrated with that offer. It's not realistic and just opens the door for resentment and argument. I appreciate that Elway is trying to preserve the cap and negotiate a good deal but why the low ball offer? Why quibble over a third year when I assume the expectation is Miller will be productive through it?

Comment

Jj hasn't taken over any games against the leagues top offenses in the playoffs.

He's yet to hoist a lombardi trophy over his head or earn super bowl MVP honors, so until that happens, we can't make the comparison when it comes to compensation for Von. Von is the man!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                          Jj hasn't taken over any games against the leagues top offenses in the playoffs.

He's yet to hoist a lombardi trophy over his head or earn super bowl MVP honors, so until that happens, we can't make the comparison when it comes to compensation for Von. Von is the man!
                          Careful, that sounds like an argument, there isn't room for argument on this matter..... /s
                          sigpic

Comment

His entire value is based on the last 2 games of the year which are still fresh in everyone's mind. Von doesn't want to go into this year without a deal because he value would significantly decrease. How many games like SB50 did he have throughout the regular season? How many moments did he take over game last year like he did SB50? He is trying to get a 3rd year guaranteed out of this. This is pretty much the thing talib was talking about von wont see the entirety of this mega deal.

Comment

It would be idiotic for Von to play hardball.

All the advantage goes to the Broncos

It is why you only hear media reports about it with no real source from the player side.

I am pretty sure Von and his agent praying the Broncos do not decide to play hardball because if that happens Von will probably only see 30 million the next 2 years with no security beyond that.

In the very physical game of football pretty sure Von and his agent want nothing to do with that when the Broncos are offering to make Von the highest paid defensive player ever in the history of the NFL.
                              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Working...
                              X