Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shawinkerpoppin
    replied
    This is essentially a 5 year 34.5 mill deal. Great deal for a great player.

Leave a comment:

• #87Birdman
    replied
    Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
    Exactly.

The only thing that concerns me is the Lisfranc injury. Marshall had the screws removed in February, after the Superbowl.

However, I'm assuming that he wouldn't have gotten the Contract if the Trainers hadn't given the foot an "OK". It certainly didn't seem to affect him last season. I hope it doesn't crop up as another issue, in the future.
    If I Remember correctly he has been at OTAs and I don't remember him just being worked in like Sombrillo and those coming off off injury. So I'm guessinghe is fine.

But I think he might have also had surgery on one of his fingers if I remember correctly also so he might not be fine lol.

Leave a comment:

• gtown53
    replied
    Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    To take that a step further, In the two years that he's been on the 53-man roster, no one has played more defensive snaps.

http://www.9news.com/mb/sports/bronc...hall/243887004

He led the team in 2014 in tackles, second only to Danny T last year and now we've got him under contract for the next 5 (not 4) years. Awesome sauce! Glad to have him back.
    Exactly.

The only thing that concerns me is the Lisfranc injury. Marshall had the screws removed in February, after the Superbowl.

However, I'm assuming that he wouldn't have gotten the Contract if the Trainers hadn't given the foot an "OK". It certainly didn't seem to affect him last season. I hope it doesn't crop up as another issue, in the future.

Leave a comment:

• PAINTERDAVE
    replied
    Kubiak and Elway expect Marshal to become a leader...
    an anchor... a solid corner stone.
    They are making plans for the defense in 2017...
    when Talib and D Ware will be gone...
    it's not all about position...
    it's about character, drive, leadership and TEAM.
    -
    Glad to see this signing.
    WE have yet to see the best Marshall has it in him to deliver.

Leave a comment:

• Freyaka
    replied
    Originally posted by Mercy8 View Post
    Marshall is a 3 down lb. Trevethan was not, therefore marshall got the bump from JE.
    To take that a step further, In the two years that he's been on the 53-man roster, no one has played more defensive snaps.

"The last two years he played more snaps than anybody on the defensive side," Elway said of Marshall. "We know what kind of defense we've had and he's been a big part of that. He's a guy that can play three downs. And really think he's just scratched the surface of what he can do. We're thrilled that we were able to agree on a new contract with Brandon and really have big expectations for him.''
    http://www.9news.com/mb/sports/bronc...hall/243887004

He led the team in 2014 in tackles, second only to Danny T last year and now we've got him under contract for the next 5 (not 4) years. Awesome sauce! Glad to have him back.

Leave a comment:

• Houshmazode
    replied
    Put a smile on my face to see the news. He's been a consummate pro, supporting his teammates and being at OTAs without any type of contract. Glad he'll be around another 4 years.

Leave a comment:

• Mercy8
    replied
    Marshall is a 3 down lb. Trevethan was not, therefore marshall got the bump from JE.

Leave a comment:

• Freyaka
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    Marshall did great things in coverage and did an alright job tackling but Trevathan from what I recall was just always there. Fumble recoveries, and participating is tackles. Now the question is do I think 8 Mil a year for Marshall is reasonable...no. Ultimately I think some of these contracts will come back to bite us. For example DT's contract puts him in the top 3-5 of Wr's. He did not play to his contract last season. I have not checked, but I suspect that Marshall has not been a top 5 ILB for long if ever. Yet we paid him as one or close to one.

Do I like him...yes. Is he a good player...for sure. At some point though we will need to take stalk of what types of positions we truly see as valuable as a team. One of the reason why we have won so often recently is because we have not had massive contracts to pay out. Now we are looking at several.
    Again, to clear up the rampant misconception, he isn't getting $8M a year. The average is $6M per year over the length of the contract. He's not making top 5 moneys. It's top 15...

Even if you want to say his money next year will top 5, next year other LB's will sign contracts that will be way higher than his is, it is the nature of the NFL. We got him at a steal.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    Marshall did great things in coverage and did an alright job tackling but Trevathan from what I recall was just always there. Fumble recoveries, and participating is tackles. Now the question is do I think 8 Mil a year for Marshall is reasonable...no. Ultimately I think some of these contracts will come back to bite us. For example DT's contract puts him in the top 3-5 of Wr's. He did not play to his contract last season. I have not checked, but I suspect that Marshall has not been a top 5 ILB for long if ever. Yet we paid him as one or close to one.

Do I like him...yes. Is he a good player...for sure. At some point though we will need to take stalk of what types of positions we truly see as valuable as a team. One of the reason why we have won so often recently is because we have not had massive contracts to pay out. Now we are looking at several.
    I don't know...we have Wolfe, Marshall and Miller, and Chris harris all locked up...or soon will be anyway...that's at least 1 solid defender at every level of the D signed long term. Then we have other guys Like Ward signed for a couple more years with young guys developing behind them. I think they have a great plan in place and I am not worried at all about the cap or future of the team.

Leave a comment:

• captainbronco
    replied
    Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
    which leads me to believe there was something more to Trev than we all knew. A baller, appeared to be healthy, positive attitude in public.. why not even an offer to match ?

This isn't a bad deal to match for a player like him, IMO.

Contract: 4 yr(s) / $24,500,000, Signing Bonus $5,000,000, Average Salary$6,125,000, Guaranteed:$12,000,000
    Both danny and b marsh have had injuries maybe dannys was more scary to commit to

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I think Elway showed his answer already.

Leave a comment:

• Rastic
    replied
    Ya I was going to say...lets not get carried away, it would be easy to make me happier, it could be me with the fat wallet instead of him.

It's a good deal once you realize that we get him for only 2.5M this year.
    Exactly, which means Marshall has been signed with no negative effect to our cap this year. He was tendered for $2.5 M and that's what we have him for.

Next. #10

Leave a comment:

• Freyaka
    replied
    Originally posted by Rastic View Post
    When viewed with that in mind, it's a fairly sizable contract for an ILB as some have mentioned, yet added to his existing contract makes it affordable and very team friendly. I really couldn't be happier. Well, if they gave me a contract I could be happier but they won't so this will have to do.
    Ya I was going to say...lets not get carried away, it would be easy to make me happier, it could be me with the fat wallet instead of him.

It's a good deal once you realize that we get him for only 2.5M this year.

Leave a comment:

• Rastic
    replied
    Except it's not $8M. This is an extension of his existing contract (The RFA contract he is on) He'll play this year on the RFA contract for 2.5M and it evens out to slightly over $6M per year.

In essence, we signed him to an additional 4 years. He's on contract this year and the next 4 for 5 total.
    When viewed with that in mind, it's a fairly sizable contract for an ILB as some have mentioned, yet added to his existing contract makes it affordable and very team friendly. I really couldn't be happier. Well, if they gave me a contract I could be happier but they won't so this will have to do.

Leave a comment:

• Freyaka
    replied
    In fact, in essence he and Danny T are making the same average. Danny T's average per year is $6,125,000 as is Marshall's. We aren't paying him more than Danny T, we're paying him the same 12th highest for ILB's

Leave a comment:

Working...
X