Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denver agrees to extension with Marshall

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Marshall says he wants to be a Bronco so maybe they're giving him a good deal now and down the road will give us a hometown discount his next contract? It's a possibility. I mean once these guys get paid the first few years they usually aren't as greedy as the first time

    Comment


    • #32
      I love it, love it, love it, love it!

      Now I want to go tackle something.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
        Not sure why I find the contract so surprising but l do.

        Have loved the impact that Marshall has had the last few seasons. But I never really put him that elite ILB group. Perhaps my own oversight.

        Elway just signed him for contract that ranks him among the league's elite.
        agreed...$8M per sounds like an awful lot.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #34
          Awesome news...such a big key to an awesome defense. I read that he only missed one tackle in the run game, which was top of the league for ILB last year with more than 100 snaps.

          Comment


          • #35
            They are getting the core of the defense signed long term. Marshall, Wolfe, Harris, Von
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
              which leads me to believe there was something more to Trev than we all knew. A baller, appeared to be healthy, positive attitude in public.. why not even an offer to match ?

              This isn't a bad deal to match for a player like him, IMO.

              Contract: 4 yr(s) / $24,500,000, Signing Bonus $5,000,000, Average Salary$6,125,000, Guaranteed:$12,000,000
              Trevathan was just a guy. Admittedly I've never been a big fan of his, but to me Marshall has been the player the Broncos needed to keep. And based on the contract they gave him, it seems they agree.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                I agree.....

                8mil a year.....In contrast Danny T received around 7 mil a year...The question we as a team need to ask is if MArshall's production last season was a product of our system or being that darn good.

                For me as other have said...I am just not sure.
                I think Elway showed his answer already.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                  agreed...$8M per sounds like an awful lot.
                  Except it's not $8M. This is an extension of his existing contract (The RFA contract he is on) He'll play this year on the RFA contract for 2.5M and it evens out to slightly over $6M per year.

                  In essence, we signed him to an additional 4 years. He's on contract this year and the next 4 for 5 total.
                  Last edited by Freyaka; 06-14-2016, 04:12 PM.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    In fact, in essence he and Danny T are making the same average. Danny T's average per year is $6,125,000 as is Marshall's. We aren't paying him more than Danny T, we're paying him the same 12th highest for ILB's
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                      Except it's not $8M. This is an extension of his existing contract (The RFA contract he is on) He'll play this year on the RFA contract for 2.5M and it evens out to slightly over $6M per year.

                      In essence, we signed him to an additional 4 years. He's on contract this year and the next 4 for 5 total.
                      When viewed with that in mind, it's a fairly sizable contract for an ILB as some have mentioned, yet added to his existing contract makes it affordable and very team friendly. I really couldn't be happier. Well, if they gave me a contract I could be happier but they won't so this will have to do.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                        When viewed with that in mind, it's a fairly sizable contract for an ILB as some have mentioned, yet added to his existing contract makes it affordable and very team friendly. I really couldn't be happier. Well, if they gave me a contract I could be happier but they won't so this will have to do.
                        Ya I was going to say...lets not get carried away, it would be easy to make me happier, it could be me with the fat wallet instead of him.

                        It's a good deal once you realize that we get him for only 2.5M this year.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                          Ya I was going to say...lets not get carried away, it would be easy to make me happier, it could be me with the fat wallet instead of him.

                          It's a good deal once you realize that we get him for only 2.5M this year.
                          Exactly, which means Marshall has been signed with no negative effect to our cap this year. He was tendered for $2.5 M and that's what we have him for.

                          Next. #10

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                            I think Elway showed his answer already.
                            Marshall did great things in coverage and did an alright job tackling but Trevathan from what I recall was just always there. Fumble recoveries, and participating is tackles. Now the question is do I think 8 Mil a year for Marshall is reasonable...no. Ultimately I think some of these contracts will come back to bite us. For example DT's contract puts him in the top 3-5 of Wr's. He did not play to his contract last season. I have not checked, but I suspect that Marshall has not been a top 5 ILB for long if ever. Yet we paid him as one or close to one.

                            Do I like him...yes. Is he a good player...for sure. At some point though we will need to take stalk of what types of positions we truly see as valuable as a team. One of the reason why we have won so often recently is because we have not had massive contracts to pay out. Now we are looking at several.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                              which leads me to believe there was something more to Trev than we all knew. A baller, appeared to be healthy, positive attitude in public.. why not even an offer to match ?

                              This isn't a bad deal to match for a player like him, IMO.

                              Contract: 4 yr(s) / $24,500,000, Signing Bonus $5,000,000, Average Salary$6,125,000, Guaranteed:$12,000,000
                              Both danny and b marsh have had injuries maybe dannys was more scary to commit to

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                                Marshall did great things in coverage and did an alright job tackling but Trevathan from what I recall was just always there. Fumble recoveries, and participating is tackles. Now the question is do I think 8 Mil a year for Marshall is reasonable...no. Ultimately I think some of these contracts will come back to bite us. For example DT's contract puts him in the top 3-5 of Wr's. He did not play to his contract last season. I have not checked, but I suspect that Marshall has not been a top 5 ILB for long if ever. Yet we paid him as one or close to one.

                                Do I like him...yes. Is he a good player...for sure. At some point though we will need to take stalk of what types of positions we truly see as valuable as a team. One of the reason why we have won so often recently is because we have not had massive contracts to pay out. Now we are looking at several.
                                I don't know...we have Wolfe, Marshall and Miller, and Chris harris all locked up...or soon will be anyway...that's at least 1 solid defender at every level of the D signed long term. Then we have other guys Like Ward signed for a couple more years with young guys developing behind them. I think they have a great plan in place and I am not worried at all about the cap or future of the team.
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X