Denver agrees to extension with Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    Marshall did great things in coverage and did an alright job tackling but Trevathan from what I recall was just always there. Fumble recoveries, and participating is tackles. Now the question is do I think 8 Mil a year for Marshall is reasonable...no. Ultimately I think some of these contracts will come back to bite us. For example DT's contract puts him in the top 3-5 of Wr's. He did not play to his contract last season. I have not checked, but I suspect that Marshall has not been a top 5 ILB for long if ever. Yet we paid him as one or close to one.

Do I like him...yes. Is he a good player...for sure. At some point though we will need to take stalk of what types of positions we truly see as valuable as a team. One of the reason why we have won so often recently is because we have not had massive contracts to pay out. Now we are looking at several.
    Again, to clear up the rampant misconception, he isn't getting $8M a year. The average is $6M per year over the length of the contract. He's not making top 5 moneys. It's top 15...

Even if you want to say his money next year will top 5, next year other LB's will sign contracts that will be way higher than his is, it is the nature of the NFL. We got him at a steal.
    sigpic

Comment

Marshall is a 3 down lb. Trevethan was not, therefore marshall got the bump from JE.

Comment

Put a smile on my face to see the news. He's been a consummate pro, supporting his teammates and being at OTAs without any type of contract. Glad he'll be around another 4 years.
        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mercy8 View Post
          Marshall is a 3 down lb. Trevethan was not, therefore marshall got the bump from JE.
          To take that a step further, In the two years that he's been on the 53-man roster, no one has played more defensive snaps.

"The last two years he played more snaps than anybody on the defensive side," Elway said of Marshall. "We know what kind of defense we've had and he's been a big part of that. He's a guy that can play three downs. And really think he's just scratched the surface of what he can do. We're thrilled that we were able to agree on a new contract with Brandon and really have big expectations for him.''
          http://www.9news.com/mb/sports/bronc...hall/243887004

He led the team in 2014 in tackles, second only to Danny T last year and now we've got him under contract for the next 5 (not 4) years. Awesome sauce! Glad to have him back.
          sigpic

Comment

Kubiak and Elway expect Marshal to become a leader...
            an anchor... a solid corner stone.
            They are making plans for the defense in 2017...
            when Talib and D Ware will be gone...
            it's not all about position...
            it's about character, drive, leadership and TEAM.
            -
            Glad to see this signing.
            WE have yet to see the best Marshall has it in him to deliver.
            - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
              To take that a step further, In the two years that he's been on the 53-man roster, no one has played more defensive snaps.

http://www.9news.com/mb/sports/bronc...hall/243887004

He led the team in 2014 in tackles, second only to Danny T last year and now we've got him under contract for the next 5 (not 4) years. Awesome sauce! Glad to have him back.
              Exactly.

The only thing that concerns me is the Lisfranc injury. Marshall had the screws removed in February, after the Superbowl.

However, I'm assuming that he wouldn't have gotten the Contract if the Trainers hadn't given the foot an "OK". It certainly didn't seem to affect him last season. I hope it doesn't crop up as another issue, in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                Exactly.

The only thing that concerns me is the Lisfranc injury. Marshall had the screws removed in February, after the Superbowl.

However, I'm assuming that he wouldn't have gotten the Contract if the Trainers hadn't given the foot an "OK". It certainly didn't seem to affect him last season. I hope it doesn't crop up as another issue, in the future.
                If I Remember correctly he has been at OTAs and I don't remember him just being worked in like Sombrillo and those coming off off injury. So I'm guessinghe is fine.

But I think he might have also had surgery on one of his fingers if I remember correctly also so he might not be fine lol.

Adopted Broncos:
                (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                Adopted posters:
                Everyone

Comment

This is essentially a 5 year 34.5 mill deal. Great deal for a great player.

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                    I'd be surprised if Sanders signed in the near future
                    If Sanders signs for anything less than 4 years $50 mil., I'd be shocked, to be honest.

All the knocks on his size not being the same as an A.J. Green or Julio Jones or even DT is made up with his production and Sanders playing bigger than his size, IMO.

If the elite ones can go for $15 mil. per, the above has to be the ballpark price his agent will be negotiating.
                    Last edited by chad72; 06-14-2016, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chad72 View Post
                      If Sanders signs for anything less than 4 years $50 mil., I'd be shocked, to be honest.

All the knocks on his size not being the same as an A.J. Green or Julio Jones or even DT is made up with his production and Sanders playing bigger than his size, IMO.

If the elite ones can go for $15 mil. per, the above has to be the ballpark price his agent will be negotiating.
                      well...he isn't the same caliber of WR as Julio....I think $12.5M is a little high for him.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                        well...he isn't the same caliber of WR as Julio....I think $12.5M is a little high for him.
                        I'd put him ahead of Julio, only because he helped lead DEN to a SB, and Julio hasn't won a playoff game
                        "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by Mercy8 View Post
                          That's news to me. What made our defense so dynamic was having 2 great coverage LBs in Trevathan and Marshall. That's why I think Corey Nelson will be the surprise starter.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                            That's news to me. What made our defense so dynamic was having 2 great coverage LBs in Trevathan and Marshall. That's why I think Corey Nelson will be the surprise starter.
                            Danny T did play a good chunk of the snaps. Marshall played more.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Last year Danny T had 823 total snaps. Marshall had 1000 (more than anyone else by over 100 snaps) Same with 2014.
                            sigpic

Comment

Again, to clear up the rampant misconception, he isn't getting $8M a year. The average is $6M per year over the length of the contract. He's not making top 5 moneys. It's top 15...

Even if you want to say his money next year will top 5, next year other LB's will sign contracts that will be way higher than his is, it is the nature of the NFL. We got him at a steal.
                              There aren't 5 ILBs I'd take over Marshall. Kuechly and Wagner, maybe Bowman. There's a dearth of ILB talent in the NFL. Shazier and Mosely are the only other 2 great ILBs off the top of my head. But Marshall is one of the best as he's great in coverage, rarely misses tackles, and doesn't over pursue. Trevathan is right there with him IMO but we could only keep 1.

Comment

Danny T did play a good chunk of the snaps. Marshall played more.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Last year Danny T had 823 total snaps. Marshall had 1000 (more than anyone else by over 100 snaps) Same with 2014.
                                Oh I know Marshall had more snaps but it wasn't like Trevathan was subbing out very often, usually in short yardage situations for Todd Davis. Plus Trevathan missed a game.

Comment

Working...
                                X