Three of Pat Bowlen’s children no longer working for Broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three of Pat Bowlen’s children no longer working for Broncos

I just read that 3 out of the 4 Bowlen kids are not with the team any more. Since there is a trust setup by Pat that one of the kids would take over the team if they showed they could run the team. That only leaves one Bowlen family member left with the team to learn the ins and outs of running the team.

I may be reading too much into this but it sounds like the Bowlen family kids do not have much interest in running the team which according to Joe Ellis could lead to a surrogate to run the team or the sale of the team.

I would be bummed if there was a change in the ownership of the team since the Bowlen family has done such a great job of building this team. Currently Joe Ellis is running the team for the Bowlen family and I would not mind that to continue.

Has anyone else heard anything about the ownership of the team?

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/06/21...g-for-broncos/
    Last edited by Peanut; 06-22-2016, 12:46 PM. Reason: Added link to article.
    sigpic
    Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
    I just read that 3 out of the 4 Bowlen kids are not with the team any more. Since there is a trust setup by Pat that one of the kids would take over the team if they showed they could run the team. That only leaves one Bowlen family member left with the team to learn the ins and outs of running the team.

I may be reading too much into this but it sounds like the Bowlen family kids do not have much interest in running the team which according to Joe Ellis could lead to a surrogate to run the team or the sale of the team.

I would be bummed if there was a change in the ownership of the team since the Bowlen family has done such a great job of building this team. Currently Joe Ellis is running the team for the Bowlen family and I would not mind that to continue.

Has anyone else heard anything about the ownership of the team?
    I wouldn't read too much into it. The other children are furthering their education (aside from dingbat that got arrested) and the team is in solid hands with Ellis. When the time comes, the right person will end up with the team.
    sigpic

Comment

I don't really think the rest of the family has much interest in running the team. I think they will end up selling and split up the cash among themselves.

Someday, I think Elway will wind up part of an ownership group of the team. He has expressed the desire to own a portion of the team in the past, and he has shown he is very good at business. He did pass up an opportunity after he retired to purchase a 10% stake in the team, which I am sure he is kicking himself for not taking now. But if he can figure out a way, I can see where this could happen. He is worth about 150 mil, so he has the resources to be at least part owner. I think the days of one person owning these 2 billion dollar teams are mostly over anyway. Could be a good thing anyway....it would keep one idiot like Snyder or Jerry Jones from making stupid decisions over and over and over....

Comment

Two thoughts:

1) How sweet would it be to date Brittany Bowlen right now?

2) I wonder if Broncos corporate is hiring to fill those positions...

Comment

Don't be surprised if Elway gets ownership, some how
          "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Where can I apply?
            sigpic

Comment

In the article below, it really sounds like someone is trying for some drama. I guess that would be Mike Florio since he wrote it.

One of the seven children has got to love the Broncos. Get trained. Get business-minded. Learn what you have to to be "worthy/qualified" to be owner.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-to-sell-team/

In response to Tuesday’s item from the Denver Post explaining that three of Broncos owner Pat Bowlen’s seven children have exited the employment of the team, we pointed out that the development invites speculation that the team eventually will be sold. In response to that response, Broncos V.P. of communications Patrick Smyth reiterated that the Pat Bowlen Trust doesn’t plan to sell the team.

“No plans for the sale of the team,” Smyth said on Twitter. “The hope remains to keep the Broncos in the Bowlen family.”

“Hope” is the key word here.
              Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Extremely disappointing that there appears to be little interest, and "quality" participation by the Bowlen family off-spring. And, we are seeing it, league-wide with the deaths of the Owners who actually WANTED to own NFL/AFL teams. People who actually cared about football, only to be replaced by kids who don't have the same entrepreneurial spirit necessary to run a successful Franchise.

I was really hoping for a solution, other than Joe Ellis, to be put into place before Pat had lost the wherewithal to make those decisions.

I was hoping that John Elway would be brought aboard as a minority owner, that maybe Peyton Manning would have some interest, as well. Clearly, at this point, those two would be like mixing oil and water.

Another actual solution could have been something like Green Bay has done where the team would be taken Public, with some over-sight and accountability that would protect the Taxpayers who cashed out for the stadium, and the fans who support the Team. I believe that would have been a "win-win" for ownership and the fans who could have invested in the team they love.

But, I'm sure, like most things, every thing will turn out in the end.

Comment

In summary:

Two of the Bowlen daughters are pursuing their education (kudos to them), while the dingaling of the family John Bowlen is "leaving the team to pursue other opportunities" (or a nice way to say the Denver Broncos franchise wants nothing to do with you).

Comment

Owning and running a professional franchise team is not sunshine and rainbows. As a family there would have to be a significant amount of pride in football in order for this to be a multi-generational - 'thing'. I do not think that the ownership of teams by one person will be a thing of the past. There are just too many wealthy people accumulating too much wealth for that not to still be a common practice.

One other thing to question is do you really want a non-passionate owner? - Part of the reason why Pat has been such a fantastic owner is that he was so passionate about the game and winning. He just got 'it'. If the team were to be forced upon one of his kids and they were not cut from the same cloth as their father then the team could be run much differently and we could be in for some very rocky time ahead...I am not saying that is the case I am just saying it is always better to have an owner who LOVES the game and the team rather than someone who is not into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                      Owning and running a professional franchise team is not sunshine and rainbows. As a family there would have to be a significant amount of pride in football in order for this to be a multi-generational - 'thing'. I do not think that the ownership of teams by one person will be a thing of the past. There are just too many wealthy people accumulating too much wealth for that not to still be a common practice.

One other thing to question is do you really want a non-passionate owner? - Part of the reason why Pat has been such a fantastic owner is that he was so passionate about the game and winning. He just got 'it'. If the team were to be forced upon one of his kids and they were not cut from the same cloth as their father then the team could be run much differently and we could be in for some very rocky time ahead...I am not saying that is the case I am just saying it is always better to have an owner who LOVES the game and the team rather than someone who is not into it.
                      Great points you make. PS, I tried to cp you and I accidentally hit enter before I was done. So, cp to you.
                      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                        Great points you make. PS, I tried to cp you and I accidentally hit enter before I was done. So, cp to you.
                        Thanks. I think so often we think that every kid should be exactly like their parents when they grow up in a family like the Bowlen's or even celebrities kids. The fact is kids and their parents while they often do have some of the same character traits and perhaps some of the same aptitudes the very often do not have the same interests. There are always exceptions but having a child follow directly in the same career path as their parents - especially nowadays is not all that common.

Comment

I think it is to early to tell. They have to go out and find themselves before they could even hope to own a team. There still young and not all of life is about Football. Most of us struggle with our identity early in life and need to step back just to figure out who we are. I don't see it being any different for those kids.
                          sigpic

Comment

The hard part about this is the original owners bought into NFL teams as fulfilling a dream. For the kids it is continuing a family business. Big difference in passion and willingness to be successful.

How often in life do kids decide to follow their own dreams instead of the parent's? It is rare that a smooth transition is accomplished. At least it just takes one Bowlen kid to be interested and sit in the big office and hopefully let the professionals do their jobs. Its when the kids think they can do better that franchises start to see issues.

Not just an NFL issue either. Look at the Lakers. Same issue with the Buss kids only a few years ahead of the Bowlen kids and much more media scrutiny.

Comment

Working...
                            X