Clear All

• Sanchez IS the starter - according to 2 players

Broncos players reportedly know Mark Sanchez is the starter

The Sports Daily
    Zach Kruse

4 hrs ago
    -
    -
    At least two Denver Broncos players say they know exactly who will be the team’s starting quarterback come Week 1 of the 2016 regular season.

Mark Sanchez.

According to Mike Freeman of Bleacher Report, there’s “no mystery” about Denver’s starter at quarterback. The two players are convinced it’ll be Sanchez, not Trevor Siemian or rookie first-round pick Paxton Lynch.

The report comes as no surprise.

Siemian is a seventh-round pick from the 2015 NFL Draft, while Lynch is a rookie entering his first NFL training camp. Meanwhile, Sanchez has played seven years, making 72 starts and attempting over 2,000 passes. He’s the safe, veteran option, and his experience—however poor or embarrassing he was at times for the New York Jets and Philadelphia Eagles—gives him a huge advantage over two quarterbacks who have never attempted a pass in the NFL.

Sanchez isn’t a world-beater, but Siemian and Lynch would likely need to have kill it at training camp to win the job.

In fact, Freeman made it patently clear what it would take for Sanchez not to start against the Carolina Panthers to begin the season:

“The only way Sanchez doesn’t start is if he throws 400 interceptions in the preseason or aliens zap the stadium, Independence Day-style. Sanchez throws a lot of interceptions, but not that many.”
    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

This is a tremendous opportunity for Sanchez, He only has to manage games, and not turn the ball over, and he could have a good year.
    And if he stinks, Then put the next guy in.

Comment

Originally posted by capt. Jack View Post
      This is a tremendous opportunity for Sanchez, He only has to manage games, and not turn the ball over, and he could have a good year.
      And if he stinks, Then put the next guy in.
      Essentially something he has never done in his career.

Excuse me if this bit of "good news" does not inspire too much confidence. IMO he is only the starter by default because the other options apparently are even less appealing at this point.

I am still holding out hope that Lynch earns the starting position in camp.

Comment

I am not excited about Sanchez, I just hope he surprises us and plays well, till Lynch is ready.

Comment

Well the quarterback play couldn't be any worse than it was last year.

Assuming Sanchez does stink it up and turn the ball over often, Kubiak will not hesitate to bench him and put the next guy in. We seen him do it to a certain Hall of Fame quarterback last season.

Go Broncos

Comment

I can already see how much were going to rely on our run game
            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
              I can already see how much were going to rely on our run game
              Which brings up another point, if the running game sucks, Sanchez will need to be more than a manager at times. Hopefully that doesn't get ugly.
              Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                Essentially something he has never done in his career.

Excuse me if this bit of "good news" does not inspire too much confidence. IMO he is only the starter by default because the other options apparently are even less appealing at this point.

I am still holding out hope that Lynch earns the starting position in camp.
                Neither had Jake Plummer before he got here, Jake the Snake was eerily similar in stats to Mark Sanchez. Give the guy a chance under Kubiak. Worst case scenario he sucks and we find someone else, but don't write him off until he's had the chance to prove you right or wrong.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by capt. Jack View Post
                  I am not excited about Sanchez, I just hope he surprises us and plays well, till Lynch is ready.
                  Exactly.
                  My prediction.. is that Lynch will be starting after the bye week.
                  -
                  I hope we have at least 5 wins by that point.

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post
                    Exactly.
                    -
                    Heaven forbid Sanchez prove us wrong and remain the starter all season....I wish more people would just back off and take a wait and see approach for a little while. He may came out in the preseason and surprise us all, he may suck. But none of us know what he'll do with Kubiak coaching him up. I've said it before, I'll say it again, everyone loves and misses Plummer, but his stats were every bit as ugly as Mark's when he came to Denver, Kubiak made him what he was. If he can do it for Jake, who is to say he can't do it again?
                    sigpic

Comment

Why is the surprising? Also, if Kubes works his magic and is able to reduce the amount of INTs Sanchez throws then Sanchez will be solid.
                      sigpic

Comment

Heaven forbid?

It's about Elway's Plan.
                        -
                        Ummmm, first round draft pick QB.. 4 year deal at 10 million....
                        gotta get the kid up to speed, experienced, BEFORE he starts next year.
                        -
                        Sure if Sanchez is flawless, Broncos are undefeated at the bye....
                        they likely stick with Mark.. if he is "Super Sanchez"... like he has never been before.
                        -
                        but...... Sanchez is on a 1 year deal.
                        -
                        LAST thing Elway wants is to Ride Sanchez into the playoffs...
                        and then create yet ANOTHER UFA wanting to sign a big contract.
                        -
                        Also.. I did say "my prediction".....
                        meaning I was speculating..
                        here in the Dead Zone.
                        -
                        lol .... You "wish people would back off"?
                        -
                        Well, I wish I was the king of all the puppies and unicorns....
                        and here on the internet.... I probably could make that happen.

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

I reckon Trevor will be the back up....
                          the role he was likely drafted for....

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post
                            Exactly.
                            -
                            If we go into the bye 5-5, and Sanchez is average it's possible we make a switch IMO. Anything under, and I think we change. Higher, and I think we stay the course.
                            What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                            I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                              Heaven forbid Sanchez prove us wrong and remain the starter all season....I wish more people would just back off and take a wait and see approach for a little while. He may came out in the preseason and surprise us all, he may suck. But none of us know what he'll do with Kubiak coaching him up. I've said it before, I'll say it again, everyone loves and misses Plummer, but his stats were every bit as ugly as Mark's when he came to Denver, Kubiak made him what he was. If he can do it for Jake, who is to say he can't do it again?
                              I would like nothing better then to have Sanchez win and thrive at the the position. Sadly I just can't take that leap of faith you and others seem to be able to do so easily.

I get there are exceptions to every rule. Plummer switched teams and played well, Brady was a late round QB that excelled, even last year winning the SB with sub-par QB play. I get it. But I am skeptical it is so easily duplicated with Sanchez or to another extent Siemian.

I find it funny how before March 1st the idea of Mark Sanchez as a starting QB was cringe worthy. Outside of Denver it still is. Step back a moment and insert his name into another contending team's starting QB spot and honestly consider that smirk and smile you just had at the thought of playing them. How concerned are you with a "coached up" Sanchez running the Pats, Panthers, Steelers Chiefs, Seahawks, Packers, etc.... You get my point.

Even if the Broncos become "run heavy" that means maybe a 50/50 percentage in a 60/40 pass heavy League. QBs will still need to make plays, or not as the case may be. I will not judge you too harshly for putting your faith in Sanchez but how about the same respect if I continue to choose to hope the QB competition is won by the talented rookie.

Kubiak can play call to protect Lynch just as easily as the other two. Just more upside and hopefully less turnovers.

Comment

Working...
                              X