X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Emmanuel Sanders, Broncos deal talks on hold

By Conor Orr
    Around The NFL Writer
    Published: July 7, 2016 at 08:50 a.m. Updated: July 7, 2016 at 12:45 p.m.
    Lost in the news that Denver has re-opened talks with star linebacker Von Miller is this nugget from Broncos beat man Mike Klis of KUSA-TV in Denver:

Contract talks with (wide receiver Emmanuel) Sanders, by the way, have been put on hold. Not off, but on hold. He is scheduled to make $5.6 million in the final year of his contract this season.

This is interesting. Out of the three deals that Denver had to get done this offseason (linebacker Brandon Marshall, Miller and Sanders), Sanders' deal was leaning more towards slam-dunk territory than Miller, who was always going to have the most complex set of negotiations.

A boffo deal signed by Seahawks receiver Doug Baldwin and a smart extension signed by Chargers receiver Keenan Allen probably didn't make negotiating with Sanders any easier for the Broncos. The manpower devoted to Miller's deal alone could also be sapping resources.

Interestingly enough, the Broncos turned to Sanders when Miller's deal was at a complete standstill back in early June. Now, they seem to be pivoting back in the other direction with just a week left to agree to terms with Miller before the franchise tag deadline. The Broncos are headed for top-heavy territory in terms of star player contracts that need to get done and they aren't even paying a quarterback significant money. Having Paxton Lynch under team control for the foreseeable future should aid the Broncos in keeping their financial woes in check for now.

As NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport noted a few weeks ago, the snag in Miller's deal continues to be the three-year payout and guaranteed money. The conversation with Miller needs to start at $63.1 million guaranteed (Fletcher Cox received $63 million in his new deal) and the Broncos will need to dig deep over the early years of Miller's contract. Until they get that issue solved, don't expect to hear updates on Sanders.

Source: NFL.com

Swell news that...

Comment

Why can't they work on more than one deal at a time? They better not mess this up.
      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Hopefully it means they're progressing with Von, although it would be nice to multitask.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
          Why can't they work on more than one deal at a time? They better not mess this up.
          Cause it's like a puzzle, you need to see where piece A goes before you can get pice B to fit. The Broncos currently have around $2.6 million in cap room. The two players are currently scheduled to count $20.6 million against the cap combined. I would guess the Broncos would like to be somewhere around $5 million under with the two contracts being done. But you need to finish one before you can see how to structure the other one to make it possible.

And of course one contract has the deadline, Miller's contract needs to be done before next Friday, so it becomes more important, the Broncos have until March to get a Sanders extension done.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
            Cause it's like a puzzle, you need to see where piece A goes before you can get pice B to fit. The Broncos currently have around $2.6 million in cap room. The two players are currently scheduled to count $20.6 million against the cap combined. I would guess the Broncos would like to be somewhere around $5 million under with the two contracts being done. But you need to finish one before you can see how to structure the other one to make it possible.

And of course one contract has the deadline, Miller's contract needs to be done before next Friday, so it becomes more important, the Broncos have until March to get a Sanders extension done.
            But Sanders' contract this year is still in tact and is already counted against the current cap.

His contract was supposed to be a slam dunk. I'm not lying, this is a bummer, he's a baller - what's more, a real team player.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
              But Sanders' contract this year is still in tact and is already counted against the current cap.

His contract was supposed to be a slam dunk. I'm not lying, this is a bummer, he's a baller - what's more, a real team player.
              Yup, I'm getting a little nauseous right now with this news. But I get what Butler is saying too. Ugh. I hate this time of year.
              Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Maybe it was before. Problem is you've got guys of similar talent signing for $12-13M and now suddenly Sander's may be priced out of Denver.
                sigpic

Comment

But you will have a signing bonus involved, even though it's an extension, so you have to structure it to use the resources properly. The Broncos likely don't want Sanders cap hit to go any higher than it's current level (I believe $6 million) this year, unless they manage to get Miller's cap hit lower this season. Until he's signed (Miller) the Broncos only have $2.6 million in cap room, you don't want to burn that unless and until you have to.

Comment

But you will have a signing bonus involved, even though it's an extension, so you have to structure it to use the resources properly. The Broncos likely don't want Sanders cap hit to go any higher than it's current level (I believe $6 million) this year, unless they manage to get Miller's cap hit lower this season. Until he's signed (Miller) the Broncos only have $2.6 million in cap room, you don't want to burn that unless and until you have to.
                    With such a tight cap and after signing Von (assuming it happens) they can assess our punters in TC. If the rookie Dixon does well then Colquitt could be cut which would free up $4 mil, I know this is probably not enough but every dollar counts to get Sanders signed.

Comment

Originally posted by osfantaztic View Post
                      With such a tight cap and after signing Von (assuming it happens) they can assess our punters in TC. If the rookie Dixon does well then Colquitt could be cut which would free up $4 mil, I know this is probably not enough but every dollar counts to get Sanders signed.
                      Absolutely, it's a big puzzle, and each piece you put in has an affect on other pieces. If we get to the season and things haven't worked out, then it might be a worry, but for right now it's choosing a priority, that's it.

Comment

Absolutely, it's a big puzzle, and each piece you put in has an affect on other pieces. If we get to the season and things haven't worked out, then it might be a worry, but for right now it's choosing a priority, that's it.
                        Yes and for now just need to get Von signed, hopefully with enough room leftover for Sanders.

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                          Maybe it was before. Problem is you've got guys of similar talent signing for $12-13M and now suddenly Sander's may be priced out of Denver.
                          Which begs the question..
                          why oh why .
                          wait for all these other deals to force the price upwards?
                          -
                          Just imagine...
                          if they woulda just got Von done in the euphoria of the Post Super Bowl.
                          Price woulda been lower than it is now.

Ditto for Sanders.
                          -
                          All the explaining in the world..
                          aint gonna change that FACT.
                          -
                          The cost has only escalated all summer long.....
                          - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post
                            Which begs the question..
                            why oh why .
                            wait for all these other deals to force the price upwards?
                            -
                            Just imagine...
                            if they woulda just got Von done in the euphoria of the Post Super Bowl.
                            Price woulda been lower than it is now.

Ditto for Sanders.
                            -
                            All the explaining in the world..
                            aint gonna change that FACT.
                            -
                            The cost has only escalated all summer long.....
                            You ignore the fact that there's two sides negotiating every contract. In a perfect world the Broncos would easily extend every player they wanted, well before their contracts expired and for well below market value. But you have no idea what the other side has said. Perhaps Miller and his agent told the Broncos they wanted to see how the market played out this year to judge his value and they wouldn't negotiate until that happened? Or maybe Sanders said he would take a hometown discount but he believes he's worth $20 million per year and a discount to him is $18 million.

Yes I made up both scenarios, but the point is we don't know what both sides have in mind, and what either side decided to do at the start of negotiations, or if either side wanted to negotiate originally. It's more than just saying we're extending you, here's your new contract.

Comment

Well hopefully after we get Miller signed we can sign Sanders soon after I really like Sanders and think he has been one of our better free agents that we have signed in recent years.

Comment

Working...
                              X