No announcement yet.

Broncos are talking with Von Miller and his reps today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deserves every penny. Now time to finish piecing together a Canton-worthy career.

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
      Curious why you left SB50 off the list?

Miller - 2.5 sacks / 2 QB hits / 1 forced fumble for a TD.

Beyond some occasional hyperbole, I do not see anyone discounting the contributions of the entire defense. The entire season was a remarkable "team" effort to win the number of games in the manner in which they won them. Multiple players making critical plays throughout.

Miller is arguably the best player of that defense. And is the one hitting free agency at the right time. Funny because even with all the complaining of this contract, how long will it last as the highest? Does it even last a year with that distinction? We shall see.

Hope all the rumors and Shefter reports are true. Lets get down to defending a title!
      Because I responded specifically to the post that said, "this one guy can stop Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger in prime time football."

If the reports are true that the guarantees are $70 mil (possibly in excess of $70 mil) - one would think Von will accept the offer. We don't know the details and we'll see what happens tomorrow.

If Miller does get the offer - he cannot be "arguably the best player of that defense". He must be the best player of the defense - consistently game in and game out. It will not be enough to have an elite performance in the playoffs. Von will need to play at an elite level every game.

Looking forward to defending the title...
      Last edited by Fantaztic7; 07-14-2016, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• I'm a nobody here but I have been a Bronco fan since the 70's, I want Miller and I want Sanders signed by tomorrow, I think they make our team a terror and I want them for years to come..I'm not thinking of dollars and all but I would be excited as a fan to have these guys back on our team for years, money works itself out..

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkHorse26 View Post
          Not if this is true depending on the terms ...
          It's not even about that.

Denver could re-sign Von, Stewart, Sanders, others and still have some room to play with in FA.

Just not sure Elway goes higher than 10-11 on a long-term deal for him per year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
            Again, Denver is $59.2 under the presumed 2017 cap of $166 million. Without knowing the structure of the guarantees, you can't say that will eat up Denver's cap space. The NFL cap hits go up and down, it's not like the NHL where it's an annual average value. Not even sure why they give out the annual average since that really has no bearing on the actual value of the contract and the actual cap hits.
            And you can't presume that it will be cap friendly in the second year either. The fact is we will probably end up with around 40m of cap space in 2017 after Von signs the contract. Then we will have to decide who to let go and who to pay depending on their performances of the following players whose contracts expire.

DeMarcus Ware
            Emmanuel Sanders
            Britton Colquitt
            Mark Sanchez
            Sylvester Williams
            Darian Stewart
            Vance Walker
            Kayvon Webster
            Ronnie Hillman
            Shaquil Barrett
            Juwan Thompson
            Kenny Anunike
            James Ferentz
            Robert Myers
            Brandon McManus
            Todd Davis
            Jordan Norwood
            Garrett Graham
            Dekoda Watson
            Phil Taylor
            Shiloh Keo
            Brandian Ross
            DeVier Posey
            Cyrus Gray
            Darrion Weems
            Sam Brenner
            Matt Paradis
            Kapri Bibbs
            Bennie Fowler
            Casey Kreiter
            Jordan Taylor
            Zaire Anderson
            Dillon Day
            Cameron Jefferson
            Kyle Roberts
            Manasseh Garner

This doesn't even include FA signings and rookie contracts.

You may see 40m stretching pretty far but I don't considering some of the players on that list. Hey, I hope I'm wrong but I foresee some major money issues come 2017 and a lot of tough decisions to make once again.
            Last edited by DarkHorse26; 07-14-2016, 09:14 PM.
            sigpic

Defense wins championships

Comment

• Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
              Well regardless, I'd be pissed if he's not a Bronco. Plays with more heart and guts than DT ever does. Maybe he'd cough up some to keep Sanders in Denver.
              Meh players wanna get paid, NFL is Not for Long.

Not saying i disagree, i hope they can find common ground for both sides.

Comment

• Originally posted by BANJOPICKER1 View Post
                I'm a nobody here but I have been a Bronco fan since the 70's, I want Miller and I want Sanders signed by tomorrow, I think they make our team a terror and I want them for years to come..I'm not thinking of dollars and all but I would be excited as a fan to have these guys back on our team for years, money works itself out..

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Long time no see!

Another chance to see Cam running for this life from Von, getting sacked and the ball stripped again is worth $70 mil

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkHorse26 View Post
                  And you can't presume that it will be cap friendly in the first year either. The fact is we will probably end up with around 40m of cap space in 2017 after Von signs the contract. Then we will have to decide who to let go and who to pay depending on their performances of the following players whose contracts expire.

DeMarcus Ware
                  Emmanuel Sanders
                  Britton Colquitt
                  Mark Sanchez
                  Sylvester Williams
                  Darian Stewart
                  Vance Walker
                  Kayvon Webster
                  Ronnie Hillman
                  Shaquil Barrett
                  Juwan Thompson
                  Kenny Anunike
                  James Ferentz
                  Robert Myers
                  Brandon McManus
                  Todd Davis
                  Jordan Norwood
                  Garrett Graham
                  Dekoda Watson
                  Phil Taylor
                  Shiloh Keo
                  Brandian Ross
                  DeVier Posey
                  Cyrus Gray
                  Darrion Weems
                  Sam Brenner
                  Matt Paradis
                  Kapri Bibbs
                  Bennie Fowler
                  Casey Kreiter
                  Jordan Taylor
                  Zaire Anderson
                  Dillon Day
                  Cameron Jefferson
                  Kyle Roberts
                  Manasseh Garner

This doesn't even include FA signings and rookie contracts.

You may see 40m stretching pretty far but I don't considering some of the players on that list. Hey, I hope I'm wrong but I foresee some major money issues come 2017 and a lot of tough decisions to make once again.
                  How many of those players are actually going to be on the roster in 2017? A bunch of them won't even be in the equation in 2016. And then there's several restricted free agents and ERFA that you've included. And you're failing to account for 7-10 draft picks that the Broncos will have in 2017. etc. etc. etc.

Then you're failing to think of players who have contracts who may no longer be here, or players who might restructure.

The picture is however you want to see it, if you feel Denver has no cap room, fair enough. But Elway has shown the ability to work contracts and keep the players they want to keep along with add free agents they want to add.

Comment

• Originally posted by osfantaztic View Post
                    December 20, 2015
                    Broncos vs Steelers
                    Sacks: M. Jackson (1.5), S. Ray (1.0) and D. Wolfe (0.5). V. Miller (0.0)
                    INTs: J. Bush (1.0) and B. Marshall (1.0)

January 17, 2016
                    Steelers vs Broncos
                    Sacks: D. Ware (1.0), A. Smith (1.0) and Derek Wolfe (1.0). V. Miller (0.0)

It was these players and the entire D that shut down Ben - not Von.

Edit:

11/29/15
                    Patriots vs Broncos
                    Sacks: D. Wolfe (1.0), V. Miller (1.0) and V. Walker (1.0)

1/24/16
                    Patriots vs Broncos
                    Sacks: D. Wolfe (1.0), V. Miller (2.5) and D. Ware (0.5)
                    INTs: V. Miller (1.0) and D. Stewart (1.0)
                    Talib/Roby deflected pass/INT on 2 point attempt sealed game.

Von had a key role in shutting down Tom Brady in the AFCCG - it is clear the entire defense played a significant role in shutting him down.
                    Really? Do you not remember Von destroying the RT to seal the game against Steelers? He may not have got the stat but the broncos got the game sealing sack because of Von.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                      Did you spend this much time worrying about if Manning delivered last year? His approx. $1M an interception was not exactly a value.

Expectations need to be tempered. I do not expect to see the SB Miller every week. But the threat that he can be will give many a defensive coordinator and OT sleepless nights. Miller is not just a pass rusher, he goes into coverage, defends passes and plays the run well. Judge him by his overall impact not just his sack total.
                      In the stats posted above I included INTs which reflect coverage. In several of my previous posts I provided specific stats on Von's run defense. He is a top run defender. In addition he gets a lot of pressures that don't show up as sacks. I've provided the exact stats on run defense, complete shut downs, pressures and pressures that led to INTs (not in the posts for the Steelers and Patriots games but in other posts).

I've been more than fair to Von and definitely want him to accept the offer. Expectations will not be tempered - the bar will be raised the instant he signs (if he signs). When Von threatened to hold out if his demands were not met - not play on the franchise tag - to represent the players and NFLPA over the franchise tag - to be the highest paid defender - that comes with high expectations.

In many of your posts you have referenced that the Broncos need a face of the franchise. That if not for signing Von there would be no player to carry the face of the Broncos franchise. That Von is needed for marketing and all those things that go with being the marquee player.

He's about to get that contract. No looking back now - if the guarantees in excess of $70 mil are true - expectations will be higher than ever.

Von will need to backup what so many have said he does - that he is the engine that drives the defense. That he is the one player that the defense must have.

We can't have it both ways. Being the highest paid defender - does not align with tempered expectations. There have been hundreds of posts that claim he is the difference maker on the Broncos defense; that everything starts with the impact Von makes; that he is the engine that makes the defense run; that he is double-teamed which allows other players to get their sacks; that he terrorizes quarterbacks.

He's either elite or he's not.

There are high expectations for players that get the type of contract that Von is about to sign - comes with the territory.
                      Last edited by Fantaztic7; 07-14-2016, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• IF the Broncos wouldn't have low-balled him on the initial guaranteed money this would have been done weeks ago. Instead of 38.5 million, they should have offered 55-57 million and he likely would have signed on the spot. Now his agent pushes it out as long as he can and he ends up with four years guaranteed. Good thing Paxton is coming in pretty cheap during those four years. BTW I expect Von's numbers to do down next season as he his now flush with cash (see Haynesworth, Suh and DT)

Comment

• Originally posted by ThreeGees View Post
                          IF the Broncos wouldn't have low-balled him on the initial guaranteed money this would have been done weeks ago. Instead of 38.5 million, they should have offered 55-57 million and he likely would have signed on the spot. Now his agent pushes it out as long as he can and he ends up with four years guaranteed. Good thing Paxton is coming in pretty cheap during those four years. BTW I expect Von's numbers to do down next season as he his now flush with cash (see Haynesworth, Suh and DT)
                          That first contract was the better contract IMO. That entire contract would have became fully guaranteed 5 days after his 2nd season. But his agent wanted as much up front as possible and very well may have ended up costing Von more in the long run. Von wouldn't have got cut going into the 3rd year of this contract but he very well could be cut/forced to take a pay cut at the tail end of this current proposal.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThreeGees View Post
                            IF the Broncos wouldn't have low-balled him on the initial guaranteed money this would have been done weeks ago. Instead of 38.5 million, they should have offered 55-57 million and he likely would have signed on the spot. Now his agent pushes it out as long as he can and he ends up with four years guaranteed. Good thing Paxton is coming in pretty cheap during those four years. BTW I expect Von's numbers to do down next season as he his now flush with cash (see Haynesworth, Suh and DT)
                            Haynesworth is a completely different case (although close to Suh in infield issues) but his two best seasons were both contract years. In no other season did he come close to those two in performance. Suh followed his career pattern, good year, down year, good year, down year, good year, down year (last year). But part of that could possibly be a difference in players around him, a different scheme and different coaching. We'll see how he does this year. And Thomas was only really down in touchdowns, overall his numbers were what they've been. And considering a lot of people said that the only reason his numbers were that high were because of Manning, doing that with the QB play the Broncos had last year, can be somewhat encouraging, because it gives an idea of what to expect going forward.

As for your overall belief the deal gets done if they give a huge guarantee initially, maybe, but business dictates you never give your best offer at the beginning. There's no guarantee that is they offered Miller $55-57 million in guarantees to start that his agent doesn't go for $80 million.

Comment

• If Von doesn't take the latest offer Friday he is truely dumb. The amount of money rumored is staggering
                              sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

• Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
                                Really? Do you not remember Von destroying the RT to seal the game against Steelers? He may not have got the stat but the broncos got the game sealing sack because of Von.
                                I do. That was a great play at the end of the game. Do you remember the fumble caused by Roby and recovered by Ware? That play was as critical as the one Von made at the end of the game. Steelers were driving and could have gone on to score. If I recall that was the first turnover late in the game.

The plays made by those other defenders are indisputable - Von was not the one guy that stopped Brady and Roerhlisberger.

Von is a great player. Elway would not be offering him $70 mil guaranteed if he didn't believe in Von.

I simply disagree that he is the one player that stopped Brady and Roethlisberger. Did he stop them on some plays - he sure did.
                                Last edited by Fantaztic7; 07-15-2016, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X