Broncos are talking with Von Miller and his reps today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    Isn't that what was really frustrating everyone about Von until the playoffs last year?
    Yep. And at 70 million guaranteed, there absolutely and rather fairly will be expectations of high level production. Not just the threat of it.

Comment

Isn't that what was really frustrating everyone about Von until the playoffs last year?
      It certainly is what frustrates me. Miller is being paid for his overall impact for the team on and off the field.
      Some of the arguments of him not producing every game are just not true. Sometimes expectations stated are unrealistic.

It would be like criticizing a RB like Peterson when he doesn't get a long TD on every play. Stating he sucks because he had half his carries were for no gain even though the defense had to account for him every play and he ended up with another 100 yards and a TD or two.

Elite players are capable of doing special things. Like a 250 yard game from Peterson or a SB 50 performance by miler, Just not going to happen every game for a lot of reasons. JMO but that "threat" of something special is invaluable and why elite players get elite pay.

Comment

• ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2m2 minutes ago
        Report: Broncos, Von Miller "closing in" on deal http://wp.me/p14QSB-a4yv via @RapSheet
        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
          It certainly is what frustrates me. Miller is being paid for his overall impact for the team on and off the field.
          Some of the arguments of him not producing every game are just not true. Sometimes expectations stated are unrealistic.

It would be like criticizing a RB like Peterson when he doesn't get a long TD on every play. Stating he sucks because he had half his carries were for no gain even though the defense had to account for him every play and he ended up with another 100 yards and a TD or two.

Elite players are capable of doing special things. Like a 250 yard game from Peterson or a SB 50 performance by miler, Just not going to happen every game for a lot of reasons. JMO but that "threat" of something special is invaluable and why elite players get elite pay.
          What I mean is, before the playoffs started, the general consensus about how Von might perform was "Uhhh, I don't know". IIRC the narrative was that he feasts on lesser opponents but disappears during big games. Then the Pittsburgh game happened and the narrative was "oh here we go again, this guy just won't show up". Then BOOM NE and Carolina happened.

It's a bit of revisionist history to say that everyone expected the greatness that was on display because it was anything but. No one knew. "If Von shows up", "If Von steps up".

By holding out for 70 million guaranteed, in my eyes, that completely erases the "if". Making QB money you HAVE to make an impact on every play you're involved in. End of story.
          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• With 3 fully guranteed, and the 4th partially guranteed. This sets Denver up in a good position if Lynch becomes the franchise QB. When Lynch's deal is due to be redone, th3y will be in a good spot with Miller to tweak things. People will say this is too much for a non-QB player. However, Denver believes that Lynch is the future, and you're locking up a premier defender and your QBOTF(at l3ast for 4 years) for a reasonable price.
            What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
            I don't know and I don't care

Comment

What I mean is, before the playoffs started, the general consensus about how Von might perform was "Uhhh, I don't know". IIRC the narrative was that he feasts on lesser opponents but disappears during big games. Then the Pittsburgh game happened and the narrative was "oh here we go again, this guy just won't show up". Then BOOM NE and Carolina happened.

It's a bit of revisionist history to say that everyone expected the greatness that was on display because it was anything but. No one knew. "If Von shows up", "If Von steps up".

By holding out for 70 million guaranteed, in my eyes, that completely erases the "if". Making QB money you HAVE to make an impact on every play you're involved in. End of story.
              Relax dude. Even Brady doesn't toss it for six on every snap.

Comment

• Originally posted by IAMRED View Post
                Relax dude. Even Brady doesn't toss it for six on every snap.
                Nobody questions if Brady is going to show up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                  Nobody questions if Brady is going to show up.
                  Von averages a sack a game. I'd be happy with a TD pass a game. More would be preferred.

Comment

• What is taking so long to agree with this proposal? This is driving me nuts.
                    sigpic
                    Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

• Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
                      What is taking so long to agree with this proposal? This is driving me nuts.
                      Likely double checking, crossing T's and dotting I's on the agent side of things. I fully expect it to get done immediately.

That's best case scenario.

Worst case scenario is the agent fiddling with Elway's chin until 2:00..

Comment

Von averages a sack a game. I'd be happy with a TD pass a game. More would be preferred.
                        Von does not average a sack a game. 72 starts with 60 sacks. Average is .83 sacks per game. Granted that is a high average but it is not a sack per game.

Comment

• No fax problems today

Comment

A TD pass a game gets you nowhere near 70 million guaranteed. Look, Von had an epic post season performance, and what looks like what will be an epic contract for a defender. Like it or not, the regular season will have to have a lot of those epic performances to be considered justifiable. But if fans are asking "where's Von" in half of the games....there will be some extreme vocal rumbling. And in all honesty DT did him no favors admitting his head wasn't all the way in it last season after signing his big deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                              ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2m2 minutes ago
                              Report: Broncos, Von Miller "closing in" on deal http://wp.me/p14QSB-a4yv via @RapSheet
                              The endless stories that Mike Florio churned out about how Miller should sit out the year, no just the first 10 games, and how awful the Broncos treat him (Miller) and blah, blah, blah, may have been the waste of time that almost anyone could see that they were.

I'm getting tired of PFT. I used to love it, but it's gone from a site that would have every story, with some inside info occasionally, and some decent one liners every now and then to a site where Florio is adding his own editorial take to more and more stories. To be fair it is his site, but I was never reading it for his opinion on things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                                A TD pass a game gets you nowhere near 70 million guaranteed. Look, Von had an epic post season performance, and what looks like what will be an epic contract for a defender. Like it or not, the regular season will have to have a lot of those epic performances to be considered justifiable. But if fans are asking "where's Von" in half of the games....there will be some extreme vocal rumbling. And in all honesty DT did him no favors admitting his head wasn't all the way in it last season after signing his big deal.

Being just over a touchdown pass per game, and having 7 career starts gets you $37 million guaranteed, not $70 million guaranteed...

Comment

Working...
                                X