Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the0rangecrush
    replied
    With 3 fully guranteed, and the 4th partially guranteed. This sets Denver up in a good position if Lynch becomes the franchise QB. When Lynch's deal is due to be redone, th3y will be in a good spot with Miller to tweak things. People will say this is too much for a non-QB player. However, Denver believes that Lynch is the future, and you're locking up a premier defender and your QBOTF(at l3ast for 4 years) for a reasonable price.

Leave a comment:

• CoryWinget81
    replied
    Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
    It certainly is what frustrates me. Miller is being paid for his overall impact for the team on and off the field.
    Some of the arguments of him not producing every game are just not true. Sometimes expectations stated are unrealistic.

It would be like criticizing a RB like Peterson when he doesn't get a long TD on every play. Stating he sucks because he had half his carries were for no gain even though the defense had to account for him every play and he ended up with another 100 yards and a TD or two.

Elite players are capable of doing special things. Like a 250 yard game from Peterson or a SB 50 performance by miler, Just not going to happen every game for a lot of reasons. JMO but that "threat" of something special is invaluable and why elite players get elite pay.
    What I mean is, before the playoffs started, the general consensus about how Von might perform was "Uhhh, I don't know". IIRC the narrative was that he feasts on lesser opponents but disappears during big games. Then the Pittsburgh game happened and the narrative was "oh here we go again, this guy just won't show up". Then BOOM NE and Carolina happened.

It's a bit of revisionist history to say that everyone expected the greatness that was on display because it was anything but. No one knew. "If Von shows up", "If Von steps up".

By holding out for 70 million guaranteed, in my eyes, that completely erases the "if". Making QB money you HAVE to make an impact on every play you're involved in. End of story.

Leave a comment:

• FL BRONCO
    replied
    ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2m2 minutes ago
    Report: Broncos, Von Miller "closing in" on deal http://wp.me/p14QSB-a4yv via @RapSheet

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    Isn't that what was really frustrating everyone about Von until the playoffs last year?
    It certainly is what frustrates me. Miller is being paid for his overall impact for the team on and off the field.
    Some of the arguments of him not producing every game are just not true. Sometimes expectations stated are unrealistic.

It would be like criticizing a RB like Peterson when he doesn't get a long TD on every play. Stating he sucks because he had half his carries were for no gain even though the defense had to account for him every play and he ended up with another 100 yards and a TD or two.

Elite players are capable of doing special things. Like a 250 yard game from Peterson or a SB 50 performance by miler, Just not going to happen every game for a lot of reasons. JMO but that "threat" of something special is invaluable and why elite players get elite pay.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco51
    replied
    Isn't that what was really frustrating everyone about Von until the playoffs last year?
    Yep. And at 70 million guaranteed, there absolutely and rather fairly will be expectations of high level production. Not just the threat of it.

Leave a comment:

• MileHighInNY
    replied
    Originally posted by IAMRED View Post
    So, say this massive 70 million dollar contract drops. What happens in 5 years when Lynch is in Osweiler's situation?
    Lynch won't be in the position that Osweiler was in after the 2015 season. Os never really had a chance to compete for the starting job because he was sitting behind a legend; there is no such impediment to Lynch's development. If Lynch isn't starting for the Broncos by 2018 then he will have basically proven himself not to be NFL starter material. If he's the starter and he's good, then the Broncos will give him his own big contract when the time comes, and it shouldn't be prevented by Von's contract. There is room under the cap for multiple big contracts on one team.

Leave a comment:

• CoryWinget81
    replied
    The Broncos are paying him to be the "threat" of being spectacular every play.

Leave a comment:

• kingelway7
    replied
    Originally posted by IAMRED View Post
    So, say this massive 70 million dollar contract drops. What happens in 5 years when Lynch is in Osweiler's situation?
    Tell Von to restructure or get cut. All guaranteed money will have been paid to Von by then anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Strip Sacked
    replied
    Big day for his agent too. NFLPA caps agent commissions at 3% for contracts, so his agent is about to score a cool 2.1 mil.
    The slime ball.

Leave a comment:

• CoryWinget81
    replied
    Big day for his agent too. NFLPA caps agent commissions at 3% for contracts, so his agent is about to score a cool 2.1 mil.

Leave a comment:

• Strip Sacked
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Your reasoning is exactly why I made the "tempered expectations" comment. When (or if ) he signs I expect a flood of similar posts with the same tone. Where you and I differ is our opinion of what to expect.

I expect him to continue to do what he has been doing. I agree that the massive contract does come with added responsibilities of leadership and off field duties. But not to the same unrealistic expectations you seem to be thinking.

You seem to expect him to be spectacular on every play. The Broncos are paying him to be the "threat" of being spectacular every play. I am not putting arbitrary numbers on him to gauge his success or failure. His overall impact on every game will be felt before he even steps on the field. His performance on it just has to be the same as we have seen. Not some increased superman performance every game or he is "not worth it".

IMO Miller just has to keep doing exactly what he has been doing. Be a dynamic impact player now entering his prime. That player gets into the HoF.

Once he signs the contract I hope all the criticisms and character attacks will end. I am assuming they will. Then most (but not all) his biggest detractors can go dig out their favorite #58 jersey, find another thread to argue about how disrespected he is as a top defender in the League and cheer as he drops another QB.

Football can not start soon enough.
    I'll start by agreeing that football cannot start soon enough - not to wish away our precious time however it will be great to see the re-match with the Panthers.

I can appreciate not going too far with raising the expectations, after all he will be the same athlete after signing the contract. Being the highest paid defender in NFL history does not suddenly transform with even greater speed, quickness or power. Desire and motivation are 100% controllable. It will be interesting to see the intensity at which he prepares and plays over this season and beyond.

I did not say the expectation is that he must be spectacular on every play. He should however in my opinion, play at a consistently elite level game in and game out.

Disagree completely that he is being paid to be a "threat" of being spectacular every plan. A $70+ million guaranteed contract demands results - not merely a threat. In addition he is not being paid to provide more leadership and off field duties. He is being paid at the highest level to perform at that level on the field.

Again, I see your point about not over-doing the expectations. I differ in that I simply believe for the money he will paid he must deliver more than what he has over the past 5 years. That's just my opinion and I could be unrealistic expecting better play for being the highest paid defensive player.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 07-15-2016, 08:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JJBroncoFan
    replied
    I just want this to be over, no matter the outcome. Once that happens I can stop complaining or rejoicing in peace lol.

Leave a comment:

• Strip Sacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Brace yourselves guys, here it comes!
    I'm so nervous I'm posting from the John...

Leave a comment:

• Sam_Z
    replied
    Brace yourselves guys, here it comes!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X