Broncos are talking with Von Miller and his reps today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    I love how fans love to claim it's all about ego (and not just for von, they stay John's ego is why he shorts players.) Players ask for money all the time, you may not like that he's asking, but let's leave egos out of it
    There is no other reason to try and push to be the highest paid defensive player in the league other than ego and or greed. Before you go all crazy on me with your response hear me out. If Von was truly that confident in himself then one way or another he'd get paid and get paid a MASSIVE paycheck. If he played to the highest of hi ability he'd end up staying here through this entire contract and into his third if he chose to do so. A massively front-loaded contract cripples a team for the duration of that front loading and truly prevents them from acquiring sufficient talent to win a SB. Teams which held the banner of acquiring the highest paid player at any position have almost NEVER made it to the SB. The Texans with JJ Watt, Revis when with the Jets, Suh with the Dolphins etc. etc.

If as a player you truly are THAT good you will be kept through the duration of the contract and earn every DIME the team promised you. Even if they chose to NOT keep you and you're playing at a level which makes you top 1-3 at your position you will make CRAZY money on the open market. So again one way or another you're gonna make the money...asking a team to cripple themselves for your personal gain is all ego and will in all likelihood prevent the team from getting another SB. This is not an issue of the total contract value this is all about WHEN the value of that contract is paid out. IF that value was paid out proportionately over the duration then as a team you could likely compete and do very well. Particularly with the cap increasing at a healthy level annually.
    Last edited by Rich_C; 07-11-2016, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Let's not forget too that agents are involved. Most of what people want to blame on ego is the agent doing what they are paid to do...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
        There is no other reason to try and push to be the highest paid defensive player in the league other than ego and or greed. Before you go all crazy on me with your response hear me out. If Von was truly that confident in himself then one way or another he'd get paid and get paid a MASSIVE paycheck. If he played to the highest of hi ability he'd end up staying here through this entire contract and into his third if he chose to do so. A massively front-loaded contract cripples a team for the duration of that front loading and truly prevents them from acquiring sufficient talent to win a SB. Teams which held the banner of acquiring the highest paid player at any position have almost NEVER made it to the SB. The Texans with JJ Watt, Revis when with the Jets, Suh with the Dolphins etc. etc.

If as a player you truly are THAT good you will be kept through the duration of the contract and earn every DIME the team promised you. Even if they chose to NOT keep you and you're playing at a level which makes you top 1-3 at your position you will make CRAZY money on the open market. So again one way or another you're gonna make the money...asking a team to cripple themselves for your personal gain is all ego and will in all likelihood prevent the team from getting another SB.
        Once again Miller is not asking for a crippling amount.

Cap went up so salaries go up.

Also his salary is right in line with what the Broncos have done for the past five years. Percentage of team salary is comparable to the percentage paid to Manning and Dumervill.

Very similar to the percentage paid by most teams to their franchise player. The money is there and not crippling.

Deal seems to be very close to be completed if the reports are to be believed. Let's hope it is soon.

Comment

Let's not forget too that agents are involved. Most of what people want to blame on ego is the agent doing what they are paid to do...
          I don't know if the agent would tell his client to go on record saying he will be the highest paid defensive (which has now turned into highest period) player in the NFL.

Just doesn't seem smart, teams are a lot more likely to consider poor decision making as a negative when front loading the biggest contract on the team. Talented or not...:2cents:
          [sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
            I don't know if the agent would tell his client to go on record saying he will be the highest paid defensive (which has now turned into highest period) player in the NFL.

Just doesn't seem smart, teams are a lot more likely to consider poor decision making as a negative when front loading the biggest contract on the team. Talented or not...:2cents:
            The agent is responsible for ensuring that his player gets top dollar. If he gets less than top dollar when the popular perception is he deserves top dollar, it can hurt the agent's future business because what player wants to sign with an agent who isn't the best at what they do...There is a lot more involved with these contracts than "I'm greedy and want to be the highest paid"
            sigpic

Comment

The agent is responsible for ensuring that his player gets top dollar. If he gets less than top dollar when the popular perception is he deserves top dollar, it can hurt the agent's future business because what player wants to sign with an agent who isn't the best at what they do...There is a lot more involved with these contracts than "I'm greedy and want to be the highest paid"
              Exactly. The whole business of contract negotiation is exceedingly complex with many moving parts and vested parties. It's an ugly business, bookmarked by greed on all sides...but it is what it is.

An agent that fails may very well lose more than the player he or she failed in the long run...what with all the one star Yelp reviews.
              To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

The role of the blood sucker is obvious, my very specific point, is that Von made a stupid and egotistical statement without anyone's help. Again, JMO

This is payback for me laughing at the Seahawks/Ravens heads exploding after their Championships a few years ago. Turns out our players are just as fickle. As much as I hate to say it the Patriots win due to good management, not star contracts. I think we are headed that way thanks to Mr. Elway.
                [sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
                  The role of the blood sucker is obvious, my very specific point, is that Von made a stupid and egotistical statement without anyone's help. Again, JMO

This is payback for me laughing at the Seahawks/Ravens heads exploding after their Championships a few years ago. Turns out our players are just as fickle. As much as I hate to say it the Patriots win due to good management, not star contracts. I think we are headed that way thanks to Mr. Elway.
                  It's not egotistical to expect him to get paid top dollar...It's not stupid, you may not agree with it, but it's the public perception for all outside of Broncos fans who want to suddenly vilify him.
                  sigpic

Comment

All this talk with no details is like...alcohol free beer

like...playing a game with no winner

like...ok my only example left is probably not suitable for a family envirnment

While it does leave open wildly inaccurate reporting followed by people arguing over details based on wildly inaccurate reporting it is the way Von and the Broncos should do it.
                    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                      It's not egotistical to expect him to get paid top dollar...It's not stupid, you may not agree with it, but it's the public perception for all outside of Broncos fans who want to suddenly vilify him.
                      Gettin' popped for Molly is stupid, cheating a drug test is stupid, trying to crash another team's superbowl celebration is stupid. Or maybe just a lot of poor decisions, it's not subject to just my interpretation. His most recent stupid (oops)decision is running his yap on his upcoming payday. I'm sure the FO looooved that.

You may not agree with me, but there is some small chance that it factored into a very tough decision for the team.
                      [sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

While it does leave open wildly inaccurate reporting followed by people arguing over details based on wildly inaccurate reporting it is the way Von and the Broncos should do it.
                        I could use a beer about now, but alcohol free might cause a Broken arm
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

Actually, just killing time till something better comes along...
                          [sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
                            Gettin' popped for Molly is stupid, cheating a drug test is stupid, trying to crash another team's superbowl celebration is stupid. Or maybe just a lot of poor decisions, it's not subject to just my interpretation. His most recent stupid (oops)decision is running his yap on his upcoming payday. I'm sure the FO looooved that.

You may not agree with me, but there is some small chance that it factored into a very tough decision for the team.
                            He'll be a bronco regardless of either of our opinions. He'll be signed by the end of the week and then we can start talking about how awesome this team is.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
                              Actually, just killing time till something better comes along...
                              yea I understad

On road trips my road trip buddy and I would create our All Pro Teams...our What If Dream Scenarios...and other wild stuff to pass the time.

Maybe we should download Pokemon Go to bypass the time
                              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                                I could use a beer about now, but alcohol free might cause a Broken arm
                                I would need therapy after a alcohol free beer...well that would not change much tho

Comment

Working...
                                X