Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos are talking with Von Miller and his reps today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    I would need therapy after a alcohol free beer...well that would not change much tho
    I rarely drink, but at this point I could use one...If it doesn't have alcohol, it might as well be a large Dr Pepper which is what I'll be drinking anyway.

    In other news, Broncos are still trying to capture the elusive and rare Pokemon Vonmiller.

    Last edited by Freyaka; 07-11-2016, 01:14 PM.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
      Once again Miller is not asking for a crippling amount.

      Cap went up so salaries go up.

      Also his salary is right in line with what the Broncos have done for the past five years. Percentage of team salary is comparable to the percentage paid to Manning and Dumervill.

      Very similar to the percentage paid by most teams to their franchise player. The money is there and not crippling.

      Deal seems to be very close to be completed if the reports are to be believed. Let's hope it is soon.
      Miller is asking for QB money. The cap did go up but so will our teams needs. A team can only have so many players making 10-15+ Mil a year and remain viable candidates. Dumervil's contract particularly in 2013 was about 10% of that years cap of 123m. I do not see him as a franchise player by any means. Clearly neither did Elway. This season we have Von who at his numbers he is looking for will be 15ish percent of the cap, DT who is just under 10% of the cap and 3 players who are in and around 7-8% of the cap. So that means with 5-6 players we are already through 30-40% of the cap available to us. That is all without a QB making real QB money. I think it is expected that Ware will not be back next year. His back is in rough shape. So who will flank Von on the other side and not kill our cap numbers? - right now Barett (SP?) and Ray have not been as consistent as Ware.

      So while I do agree that this deal will be close and likely get done I still question how your top 5-6 players make up for 40% of your cap hit. Conversely NE in order to hit similar numbers 30-40% 7-8 players salaries need to be added up and on top of that it can be soundly argued that they do have the best QB. It pains me to say it but Brady is a stellar QB...

      Comment


      • Is today the day...?

        Hope so!
        Denver Broncos
        New York Yankees
        New York Knicks
        Colorado Avalanche


        sigpic

        Comment


        • Originally posted by kingelway7 View Post
          Is today the day...?

          Hope so!
          Yes..............
          My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

          Comment


          • Originally posted by kingelway7 View Post
            Is today the day...?

            Hope so!
            We'll see...I'm ready for people to stop talking out of their hind quarters regarding the situation and start talking football. I've had about enough of the endless back and forth of the matter.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • Miller is not "asking for QB money". He is expecting to be paid what a top defender is getting paid in 2016. Under this cap, this year. Comparing to any contract more then a year or two old is not realistic.

              In 2016 terms QBs are still paid much more. Look at Lucks new contract. $25M per year/ $87M guaranteed. most of the other QBs making $20M plus are on contracts a couple years old. If negotiating today their salaries would go up accordingly.

              As for the percentage of the cap issue. I suggest you go to one of the NFL salary sites and play around with the team cap, salary and percentages. Wide range of how teams choose to spend the cap. Broncos are right in line with the norm in how they choose to allot the salaries.

              Most teams have one marquee player making that 12-14% of the team cap. Miller is the Broncos marquee player on and off the field. Broncos have made the decision to have minimal QB salary for the next few years. All three current QBs add up to about $7M per year. Broncos have that luxury and flexibility for a couple years until Lynch's next contract.

              Last year Manning and Miller combined for more percentage of the cap then what Miller and all 3 QBs are expected to make this year even at the highest speculated for Miller.

              I get the concerns. This is a lot of money and players will not be retained and move on over the next couple years. Same as Jackson, Osweiller and Travathan moved on this year. Or Decker or Thomas in years past. Same as next year Ware, Talib and quite possibly Sanders are likely moving on. Rosters change. But losing the marquee player that is most identified to your team is bad business.

              Use Durant and the NBA as an example. Losing him undermines the entire team and alters marketing expectations. I doubt OKC's GM was worried about losing Stevens, Kanter, Oladipo or possibly even Westbrook to keep Durant. Now they face the reality of a future without the "star".

              Miller is that "star" for the Broncos. Need to get past the quibbling and sign the man, even if it hurts a bit to do so.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                Miller is not "asking for QB money". He is expecting to be paid what a top defender is getting paid in 2016. Under this cap, this year. Comparing to any contract more then a year or two old is not realistic.

                In 2016 terms QBs are still paid much more. Look at Lucks new contract. $25M per year/ $87M guaranteed. most of the other QBs making $20M plus are on contracts a couple years old. If negotiating today their salaries would go up accordingly.

                As for the percentage of the cap issue. I suggest you go to one of the NFL salary sites and play around with the team cap, salary and percentages. Wide range of how teams choose to spend the cap. Broncos are right in line with the norm in how they choose to allot the salaries.

                Most teams have one marquee player making that 12-14% of the team cap. Miller is the Broncos marquee player on and off the field. Broncos have made the decision to have minimal QB salary for the next few years. All three current QBs add up to about $7M per year. Broncos have that luxury and flexibility for a couple years until Lynch's next contract.

                Last year Manning and Miller combined for more percentage of the cap then what Miller and all 3 QBs are expected to make this year even at the highest speculated for Miller.

                I get the concerns. This is a lot of money and players will not be retained and move on over the next couple years. Same as Jackson, Osweiller and Travathan moved on this year. Or Decker or Thomas in years past. Same as next year Ware, Talib and quite possibly Sanders are likely moving on. Rosters change. But losing the marquee player that is most identified to your team is bad business.

                Use Durant and the NBA as an example. Losing him undermines the entire team and alters marketing expectations. I doubt OKC's GM was worried about losing Stevens, Kanter, Oladipo or possibly even Westbrook to keep Durant. Now they face the reality of a future without the "star".

                Miller is that "star" for the Broncos. Need to get past the quibbling and sign the man, even if it hurts a bit to do so.
                Excellent post!

                I kept trying to point out the same thing on DT's contract. People were upset about how big his payday was, it was what the going rate for a top WR was. People would complain that he was making more than other WR's around him (who were on several year old contracts) but if those same contracts were done today, most of those WR's would be making far more than DT. That's the nature of the NFL. You can't compare a contract from 1-2 years ago because the going rate for a player goes up several million every single year.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • I'd like to buy John Elway a beer and a steak dinner after he's done dealing with our latest Rock Star.

                  Regardless of the outcome...
                  [sigpic

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
                    I'd like to buy John Elway a beer and a steak dinner after he's done dealing with our latest Rock Star.

                    Regardless of the outcome...
                    Today's the day! I have a good feeling that this is taken care of today! Good vibes and positives.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                      Today's the day! I have a good feeling that this is taken care of today! Good vibes and positives.
                      That's how I've felt like, daily. Now I'm just hoping I don't read disaster in the next Denver headline.

                      Comment


                      • I will say this. I love Von Miller. But I am going to be behind our front office no matter what the outcome is. Elway and company are not fools, and if Von's contract negotiations get in the way of building a TEAM for the long run, than he may not be a Bronco for long. There could be a huge residual by giving in to Von's every demand with other players contracts moving forward. I feel right now Von is putting the NFL football family as a higher priority than the Broncos family. That's his choice and I'm sure his agent is feeding him daily the kind of mark and legacy he could make for NFL players facing the franchise tag in the future.

                        Tom Brady is like the 9th highest paid QB. I think him in Rodgers are worth $35 million a year compared to what their counterparts are paid. I don't see them complaining, they want to win every single year and understand they are making more than enough to be set for life.

                        Von needs to choose what his legacy wants to be. He knows what he is going to get by staying with the Broncos...he could be a part of one of the greatest dynasty of Defenses ever to play. But if he leaves he could end up with a team like let's say the Falcons. Maybe with $15-20million more in guarantees...playing each game with not as much meaning and counting down the days till he can just run his chicken farm full time.

                        Do you think future players will have said 20 years from now - "thanks Von for holding strong when you did as it has afforded me a better contract".

                        Or do you think those same players 20 years from now would be better served growing up to and watching a man who terrorized QB's, won multiple super bowls, and was an essential player for one of the greatest D's ever. To me this is what inspires the future of the NFL, not people who set precedent for groundbreaking new contracts.

                        If your playing this game for the money, you will never achieve the heights of your greatness.

                        Cmon Von...it's all there for you, let's do this!!!
                        "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post
                          I will say this. I love Von Miller. But I am going to be behind our front office no matter what the outcome is. Elway and company are not fools, and if Von's contract negotiations get in the way of building a TEAM for the long run, than he may not be a Bronco for long. There could be a huge residual by giving in to Von's every demand with other players contracts moving forward. I feel right now Von is putting the NFL football family as a higher priority than the Broncos family. That's his choice and I'm sure his agent is feeding him daily the kind of mark and legacy he could make for NFL players facing the franchise tag in the future.

                          Tom Brady is like the 9th highest paid QB. I think him in Rodgers are worth $35 million a year compared to what their counterparts are paid. I don't see them complaining, they want to win every single year and understand they are making more than enough to be set for life.

                          Von needs to choose what his legacy wants to be. He knows what he is going to get by staying with the Broncos...he could be a part of one of the greatest dynasty of Defenses ever to play. But if he leaves he could end up with a team like let's say the Falcons. Maybe with $15-20million more in guarantees...playing each game with not as much meaning and counting down the days till he can just run his chicken farm full time.

                          Do you think future players will have said 20 years from now - "thanks Von for holding strong when you did as it has afforded me a better contract".

                          Or do you think those same players 20 years from now would be better served growing up to and watching a man who terrorized QB's, won multiple super bowls, and was an essential player for one of the greatest D's ever. To me this is what inspires the future of the NFL, not people who set precedent for groundbreaking new contracts.

                          If your playing this game for the money, you will never achieve the heights of your greatness.

                          Cmon Von...it's all there for you, let's do this!!!
                          I mean I think most of us are...But I for sure want to see this deal done. We'll live if it doesn't happen, but IMO it's in our best interest for it to happen.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • I continue to see the comparisons to Brady "giving it up for the team".

                            Not correct. Back when he was coming off his rookie contract in 2005 he was one of the highest paid players in the league. Right behind Manning. He was just as greedy and "me first" as Miller apparently is.

                            And if my math is correct his yearly was approximately the same 12-13% of the team salary as Miller would get paid this year. It is only in recent years that Brady and Manning had the luxury to play on team friendly contracts. And even that is arguable depending on your viewpoint of the details.

                            Funny how things have not changed at all. Players still want to get paid. Owners do not want to pay them. And fans continue to be confused by the media and love for the jersey.

                            Miller is just this year's example of the issue. Premier player wants to get paid a premier salary. Nothing new at all.

                            Comment


                            • It's really crazy how media silent everything has gotten...We're going on very little to no news at all since Monday.
                              sigpic

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                                It's really crazy how media silent everything has gotten...We're going on very little to no news at all since Monday.
                                No news is good news. Right...?
                                Denver Broncos
                                New York Yankees
                                New York Knicks
                                Colorado Avalanche


                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X