Broncos' core group of defenders now under contract through 2019 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos' core group of defenders now under contract through 2019 season

I know there are some that aren't happy about Von's contract, but lets be really honest. We are in a VERY good place right now. We are setup to be a competitive force for several years to come with this amazing defense.

http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2016...nse-contracts/

The Orange Rush and No Fly Zone—the stars of the Denver Broncos defense—is poised to stay together through the 2019 season.

The Broncos won Super Bowl 50 last season due in large part from the historic play of their dominating defense. Denver general manager John Elway has ensured that the most important pieces of that defense will continue their dominance together.

Superstar linebacker Von Miller is under contract through the 2021 season. Pro Bowl cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Chris Harris are both locked up through the 2019 season, as is defensive end Derek Wolfe and linebacker Brandon Marshall. Those five players are arguably the core of Denver’s defense.

Some star defenders, like safety T.J. Ward and linebacker DeMarcus Ware, will see their contracts expire soon. But even if Denver loses those players to free agency (or retirement, in Ware’s case), the Broncos are poised to have success on defense for years to come.

Elway’s defense has brilliant depth. When Ware moves on, young pass rushers Shane Ray and Shaquil Barrett will step up. If Talib exits Denver, Bradley Roby will be more than capable of taking on an increased role. If Darian Stewart leaves in free agency, Justin Simmons will be a prime candidate to replace him.

Adam Gotsis will also be around for at least four more years, and Jared Crick is only 26. From the defensive line to the linebackers to the secondary, Denver has an abundance of talent. Expect this defense to harass offenses for a long, long time to come.
    I am so excited about where we are as a franchise right now and absolutely cannot wait for football to return. Gonna be a fun year! My bold prediction is that the offense will surprise people.
    sigpic

I had read this article also. The defensive bench strength is stellar excepting NT and arguably ILB. We can see a similar investment being made with young guys on the offensive line. Elway seems to have an eye on what the team will look like in the future.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
      I had read this article also. The defensive bench strength is stellar excepting NT and arguably ILB. We can see a similar investment being made with young guys on the offensive line. Elway seems to have an eye on what the team will look like in the future.
      Don't be surprised if we're actually pretty solid at both the ILB and NT positions this season. On paper those are needs for us, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the guys already on the roster come out of nowhere just like the people they are replacing did.
      sigpic

Comment

Me right now...

Comment

Originally posted by IAMRED View Post
          Me right now...

I cannot help but be optimistic. We've put ourselves in a perfect position for a young QB to grow. Lynch gets to have a defense that will keep him a float so that if he makes mistakes, it won't destroy us. I can't help but be excited because I think we are going to get better and better as a team between now and 2019. I don't think we're done winning SB's in the next couple of years.
          sigpic

Comment

The biggest thing is we will need another jump from Ray and Barrett.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
              I don't think we're done winning SB's in the next couple of years.
              I like the sound of that
              "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
              PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
              LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
                The biggest thing is we will need another jump from Ray and Barrett.
                Well the great thing is now that we've locked up Von, worst case scenario if only one of them manages to step up to ware's spot and perform we're still ok. I think barrett will play at a high level going forward and if Ray steps up and does as well, then that's just a bonus for us!
                sigpic

Comment

Elway has been willing to let certain players walk that a lot thought we could not live without. It happened last year with some, the year before with some and this year all the pundits saying we will never be able to replace Malik (who only was really good one season), Trevathon who was good but missed more games than not in the last 3 seasons, so Elway was able to see we had his replacement on the team, and the others are really role players, bruton, and such. I actually really liked Bruton but more on the special teams side.

We will see if he was right yet again to let certain guys walk and keep the right guys in the right places. I think until he's proven wrong I'll trust his decisions, Not a fan of the huge contract to Von, I think he is great but not that once in a generation defensive player like he thinks he is. He is not even the best in the current league let alone the Generation he is playing in. But the contract was written well enough not to strap us so again Elway has made sound decisions so far so I will trust it was the right move.

I can't wait to see this season, I think we will be fine, 12-4 11-5 record and competing for the AFC championship yet again with the moves Elway has made.
                  GO BRONCOS AFC Champs!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

I was pleasantly surprised with the early reports of the structure of Von's deal. I think the timing of the guarantees are superb, and shouldn't cripple us at our biggest need time wise.

I also believes it's a deal Von can be proud of and should keep him content to retire a Bronco. I still have my concerns about him living up to the deal but hopefully he will prove me wrong. All in all I am just glad it is over and the team can move forward with full focus.
                    Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
                      I was pleasantly surprised with the early reports of the structure of Von's deal. I think the timing of the guarantees are superb, and shouldn't cripple us at our biggest need time wise.

I also believes it's a deal Von can be proud of and should keep him content to retire a Bronco. I still have my concerns about him living up to the deal but hopefully he will prove me wrong. All in all I am just glad it is over and the team can move forward with full focus.

Nail, you've been hit upon your head.

Comment

Originally posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
                        I still have my concerns about him living up to the deal but hopefully he will prove me wrong. All in all I am just glad it is over and the team can move forward with full focus.
                        Exactly. I don't like that Von was paid so much, but I also didn't like the weight of the unresolved issue bearing down on us in training camp. Onward and upward!
                        "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                        PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                        LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
                          Exactly. I don't like that Von was paid so much, but I also didn't like the weight of the unresolved issue bearing down on us in training camp. Onward and upward!
                          Hey man, just refer to the "Everything happens for a reason" thread.. You can not like paying Von that much.. but in the grand scheme of things, wouldn't you rather be forking over them chickens to Von, or sinking all your eggs into Osweiler/Malik Jackson..

I'll take a slightly pricier Von and Marshall any day of the week.

Comment

That is key with most of our stars on D we will have a chance every year hands down

Comment

If Sly can become that interior disruptive threat that Malik was.... We are set!

I think Darius Kilgo & Phil Taylor can slide right in and handle NT.

I believe the 2 safeties we drafted will give us insurance if/when Stewart or Ward get hurt...

As long as Talib doesn't get a lengthy suspension... I believe our defense will be even better this season...

Ray & Shaq are older... We have another year under Wade and his coaches...

All we need is for Sly to be Malik...

Comment

Working...
                              X