X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broncoslover115
    replied
    Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    He's making my point for me, the guy talking about the 85 Bears. Last years defense is easily a top 3.

To put it in perspective, what does everyone think the narrative would be if the Cowboys had won with defense like that?

IMO We'd hear words like "genius", "architect", "dynasty" and phrases like "greatest of all time".

I sound like a super homer but its the truth.
    I agree with you Cory.

First, what I reacted to was not so much to what they were saying but more in the way they said it. They both spoke with an air of complete disdain and dismissiveness in their voice and manner.

Ward has never said they are the best ever but that they are striving to be. There is nothing wrong with working towards that goal.

Second, to your point Cory.. If this were the Cowboys or other media darling team, this defense would be respected more. The level of disrespect our team gets is really mind boggling.

All we hear is that the loss of Malik and Trevathan cannot be overcome and that they were so pivotal to our success last year.

It annoys me that these reporters don't look deeper than that and see that while they were great players for us, they certainly were not irreplaceable type players. If they would dig deeper, they would see that Elway has drafted for depth and we already have their replacements.

Can this defense be the best ever? We shall see. Is it a great goal to work for, absolutely!!!!
    Last edited by broncoslover115; 07-24-2016, 09:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CoryWinget81
    replied
    Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
    I guess if we caveat it with the label modera era this D is historic...

I just see what the analyst is saying when he talks about the ability to defend like those 85 bears and 00 Ravens. If this d could do that... Opponents might have score zero points against us, lol.
    How fun would it be to watch a defense that averages a defensive score a game. :hammer:

Leave a comment:

• EddieMac
    replied
    I guess if we caveat it with the label modera era this D is historic...

I just see what the analyst is saying when he talks about the ability to defend like those 85 bears and 00 Ravens. If this d could do that... Opponents might have score zero points against us, lol.

Leave a comment:

• CoryWinget81
    replied
    Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
    I agree with what they are saying though... This era is tough on d ..
    He's making my point for me, the guy talking about the 85 Bears. Last years defense is easily a top 3.

To put it in perspective, what does everyone think the narrative would be if the Cowboys had won with defense like that?

IMO We'd hear words like "genius", "architect", "dynasty" and phrases like "greatest of all time".

I sound like a super homer but its the truth.

Leave a comment:

• EddieMac
    replied
    Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...0-4751c0866c3b

Listen to the folks on NFLN debate Ward's statement....They certainly don't agree.

I agree with what they are saying though... This era is tough on d ..

Leave a comment:

• CoryWinget81
    replied
    Originally posted by flosstein View Post
    As they will. But it's not like they were quiet last season either, hence the self proclaimed "No Fly Zone". I know our guys can talk that smack and punch somebody in the mouf'. I want us to be on all 32 teams minds. I want that because I know our guys in the secondary can defend anybody. I know our front 7 can crush any run attack and pummel any QB. So I love them talking that talk.
    Yup, those opposing offenses need to see when they step on the field this isn't hype. Get a team intimidated early like that and shaken up, turnover time.

Just finish the game, no bonehead plays. You'll win your fair share and lose a few along the way but every team will remember when they played the Broncos.

Leave a comment:

• broncoslover115
    replied
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...0-4751c0866c3b

Listen to the folks on NFLN debate Ward's statement....They certainly don't agree.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    Absolutely.

Our defense last year was without question an historically great defense. Our yards per play of 4.4 is unbelievable when factoring in newer rules handicapping a defense to help produce higher scores (in addition to player safety). Era adjusted, our defense was easily top three all-time. When you factor in both the fifth hardest strength of schedule, in addition to ranking 29th opponent starting field position, our defense was otherworldly.

If our offense has improved this year (which seems likely)…Ward is not throwing out an empty boast.
    Amazing - 29th ranked opponent starting position. Thanks for adding that stat - says it all about the defense.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by arapaho View Post
    Malik was the recipient of some 15 yard flags

That said let them talk...they believe It, it's not false bravado, they can back It up

Last year was the first year in a new defense...they also had what was one of the worst offenses in the league, and one that at times seemed totally inept, couldn't score, couldn't sustain drives...many 3n outs on top of the frequent TOs

And yet despite one of the hardest schedules

They were by far...when you factor in the bad field position the offense handed them to defend, the offense handing the other team points and great field position

The best defense in the league...and theres nothing preventing them from being better yet
    Absolutely.

Our defense last year was without question an historically great defense. Our yards per play of 4.4 is unbelievable when factoring in newer rules handicapping a defense to help produce higher scores (in addition to player safety). Era adjusted, our defense was easily top three all-time. When you factor in both the fifth hardest strength of schedule, in addition to ranking 29th opponent starting field position, our defense was otherworldly.

If our offense has improved this year (which seems likely)…Ward is not throwing out an empty boast.

Leave a comment:

• Pack Mules
    replied
    Pittsburgh has some of the answers, but we can adjust I believe

Leave a comment:

• arapaho
    replied
    Originally posted by Garfield View Post
    As do I.

But there is a time and place for everything.

Announcing to the world NOT SMART.

During a team meeting VERY SMART.

we had a lot of dumb mistakes last year.
    Loads of first downs via penalty.
    Lots of big plays guven up.

Nothing worse IMO than getting them into a third and more than ten because weve had TFL or sacks. Deep in there end of the field

Then Give it all up because someone gets a pass interference or personal foul, roughing. 15 yarder. ETC.

It is those types of back breakers that TAP the strength of the defense and gives the other team a chance to get the BIG MO.

That is what they need to do IMO to become the best.
    Malik was the recipient of some 15 yard flags

That said let them talk...they believe It, it's not false bravado, they can back It up

Last year was the first year in a new defense...they also had what was one of the worst offenses in the league, and one that at times seemed totally inept, couldn't score, couldn't sustain drives...many 3n outs on top of the frequent TOs

And yet despite one of the hardest schedules

They were by far...when you factor in the bad field position the offense handed them to defend, the offense handing the other team points and great field position

The best defense in the league...and theres nothing preventing them from being better yet

Leave a comment:

• flosstein
    replied
    Yet they arenot defending SB champions that in its self puts a big enough bulls eye on the team.

As I said there is a time or place for everything.

In the locker room is that place for this team..

Let the on the field performance do the speaking.
    As they will. But it's not like they were quiet last season either, hence the self proclaimed "No Fly Zone". I know our guys can talk that smack and punch somebody in the mouf'. I want us to be on all 32 teams minds. I want that because I know our guys in the secondary can defend anybody. I know our front 7 can crush any run attack and pummel any QB. So I love them talking that talk.

Leave a comment:

• Garfield
    replied
    Originally posted by flosstein View Post
    This is where we totally agree! Garfield has a point when things get pinpointed at particular teams or players. But stating that you feel your teammates are excellent enough to top last years performance, there's no jabs or "bulletin board" material there. Heck, the Raiders, Chefs, and Jags have said almost the exact same sentiments!

But again what I love is that every member of this team feel this way about this defense. You ask offensive personnel and they say the same thing. They want opponents to bring their "A" work! They thrive on the challenge. They want Cam to come in with a chip on his shoulder. They want to see Gronk and Brady at their best. So if a team on our schedule is that thin skinned and has something to "prove"..............Let em' try!!!!!!
    Yet they arenot defending SB champions that in its self puts a big enough bulls eye on the team.

As I said there is a time or place for everything.

In the locker room is that place for this team..

Let the on the field performance do the speaking.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    As do I.

Nothing worse IMO than getting them into a third and more than ten because weve had TFL or sacks. Deep in there end of the field

Then Give it all up because someone gets a pass interference or personal foul, roughing. 15 yarder. ETC.

It is those types of back breakers that TAP the strength of the defense and gives the other team a chance to get the BIG MO.

Eliminating/reducing those mistakes will go a long way toward being the best.

Leave a comment:

• Garfield
    replied
    Originally posted by osfantaztic View Post
    Ward's comments were aspirational. I don't think there's anything wrong with believing your team can be better. What is he supposed to say, "We reached our potential, not much we can improve on..."

I like the desire to be better in 2016.
    As do I.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X