X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flosstein
    replied
    Originally posted by osfantaztic View Post
    Ward's comments were aspirational. I don't think there's anything wrong with believing your team can be better. What is he supposed to say, "We reached our potential, not much we can improve on..."

I like the desire to be better in 2016.
    This is where we totally agree! Garfield has a point when things get pinpointed at particular teams or players. But stating that you feel your teammates are excellent enough to top last years performance, there's no jabs or "bulletin board" material there. Heck, the Raiders, Chefs, and Jags have said almost the exact same sentiments!

But again what I love is that every member of this team feel this way about this defense. You ask offensive personnel and they say the same thing. They want opponents to bring their "A" work! They thrive on the challenge. They want Cam to come in with a chip on his shoulder. They want to see Gronk and Brady at their best. So if a team on our schedule is that thin skinned and has something to "prove"..............Let em' try!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by Garfield View Post
    Big mouths just create locker room fodder.

Keep the lips tight and go to business on the field.

Talk is cheap and gives other teams incentive to whoop up in the D.
    Ward's comments were aspirational. I don't think there's anything wrong with believing your team can be better. What is he supposed to say, "We reached our potential, not much we can improve on..."

I like the desire to be better in 2016.

Leave a comment:

• Garfield
    replied
    Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-of-all-time/

The 2015 Broncos defense, which won the Super Bowl despite shaky quarterback play throughout most of the year, was one of the best the league has seen in recent years. Safety T.J. Ward thinks the Denver defense can become one of the best of any year.

“There is no ceiling,” Ward said Monday at his charity golf tournament, via Cameron Wolfe of the Denver Post. “We can be as good as we want to be. We can become the best defense of all time. That’s what we’re working toward.”

Part of the challenge in 2016 will be to adjust to the departure of defensive lineman Malik Jackson and linebacker Danny Trevathan via free agency. The good news is that linebacker Von Miller has a new six-year contract.

“Von, he’s up to every challenge,” Ward said. “That’s the caliber of player that we expect him to be from here on now, and that’s why he got paid the way he did. He is a franchise player, and he is the face of this franchise.”

With five total sacks in the two most important games of the year, it’s a title Miller has earned. Whether the Broncos nail down the title of best defense ever will hinge on Miller and the rest of his teammates playing at an even higher level next year.

love seeing the confidence. Just like with anything else in the league the Broncos have to do it twice as long to get the same respect. :shrug:

Hope we can repeat and really cement this legacy.
    Big mouths just create locker room fodder.

Keep the lips tight and go to business on the field.

Talk is cheap and gives other teams incentive to whoop up in the D.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by flosstein View Post
    One trick pony. No one on their whole team gives me a second though except Ben and AB. Not Bell or that living off 5 years past hype defense. And injuries to our Safties were the ONLY reason they were even in the playoffs and not eliminated by us to begin with. They're a dangerous team, but mostly for the biggest reason that NE is, and that's Big Ben.
    I'm not so sure about that. Steelers drafted heavily on the defense:

Artie Burns, CB Miami
    Sean Davis, S Maryland
    Javon Hargrave, DT S. Carolina St.
    Travis Feeney, OLB Washington
    Tyler Matakevich, ILB Temple

How these draft picks pan out is yet to be seen - Steelers made the move to shore up their secondary and line backers.

Ben was banged up and AB and Bell were out in the playoff game - their "5 years past hype defense" kept the game close. Granted our offense struggled with Manning but we barely beat them.

Every season is different and I would not dismiss the Steelers.

Ben torched our defense in the regular season game - 40/55, 380 yards, 3 TDs. We had some injuries and Ben took advantage.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 07-23-2016, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• the0rangecrush
    replied
    One trick pony. No one on their whole team gives me a second though except Ben and AB. Not Bell or that living off 5 years past hype defense. And injuries to our Safties were the ONLY reason they were even in the playoffs and not eliminated by us to begin with. They're a dangerous team, but mostly for the biggest reason that NE is, and that's Big Ben.
    They gave us an absolute dogfight in the playoffs, and that's without AB and Bell. They may be a one trick pony, but so were we last year. At their top vs our top let's not pretend it's cakewalk.

Leave a comment:

• flosstein
    replied
    Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Pittsburgh
    Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    They will be dangerous this year. They tested us more than anyone last year, and Bell wasn't even healthy.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Very difficult to compare defenses from different eras. Think about the limitations put on today's defenders - where they can hit receivers, cannot go low on QBs, flags for the slightest hit to QB's head, CBs have to play perfectly to avoid holding/PI. It even seems like Seattle's LOB got away with being more physical - not sure if this is fact but it seemed like it.

Denver's 2015 defense was incredible given today's rules.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    I am not too inclined to think "best ever", because lets face it, that is a huge title. And in the course of history there have been some truly amazing Ds. BUT, if we can be even on the perimeter of the discussion, I would be quite happy.

I love the coaching and the talent level. And what we accomplished last season was highly memorable. My take is this, we have the best trio of CBs in the league, the best OLB, and a bunch of quality all around. If our Dline steps it up just a little, I do see us being even better. But even though I want more from them, their ability to stop the run was fantastic.....so lets not expect too much. Lets be real, stopping the run is huge, and combine that with top tier pass rush from the outside, and possibly the best Dbackfield in the league, AND a great DC......hmmm, not much more needs to be discussed!

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    The key to Denver's defensive success is how well they defend the run. They are especially good against zone blocking. An offense committed to angle blocked plays within the TE holes might have more success.

Broncos' D is built to pursue and stop the pass. A pass heavy team, or one that must pass, will be in trouble against Wade Phillip's defense.

Before the Super Bowl, I thought Carolina's only chance was to run the ball, especially Option, because I didn't think their O-Line could block Denver's pass rush. IMO they should have run, not throw any passes and not go out-of-bounds. But, that wasn't going to happen in the pass happy NFL where the ball is in the air most of the time.

Denver's D is pretty set for the next several years contract-wise. There are a couple of guys Elway will need to re-sign, but most of the starters are under contract for at least four years. It's a defense built to stop what the majority of offenses are running these days.
    Carolina planned to run. Jonathon Stewart's early ankle injury seemed to limit that option. Just when they were moving the ball Darian Stewart crushed Mike Tolbert with a forced fumble. Broncos held Cam to 45 yards and long rush 14 yards. Like Mike Tyson says "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth..."

The "No Fly Zone" gets a lot of hype which it should but stopping the run was awesome.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 07-23-2016, 11:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GiddyupGetEm
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    They will be dangerous this year. They tested us more than anyone last year, and Bell wasn't even healthy.
    I hate the Steelers, but their offense is scary good. I don't know when they will be healthy and not have important players suspended. But their top RB, top WR trio and QB together know how to move the ball. If they had a good TE, record breaking potential.

QB, coach, and fans still horrible.

Leave a comment:

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
    replied
    Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Pittsburgh

Leave a comment:

• broncoslover115
    replied
    The great this is that the entire defense shares that mindset. Any interview or media blurb with ANY member of this defense, and they all echo that sentiment. I wouldn't be surprised to see better numbers than last year. Repeating is gonna be tough but, honestly speaking, who outside of the Pats in the AFC can really challenge us down the stretch if we remain relatively healthy? Our defensive guys thrive on the disrespect. They know that regardless of what the talking heads say, this is the team to beat. They have a chip on their shoulder, and that's dangerous for a SB squad that's still 90% intact.

We're gonna lay some hurt down on people. Opposing owners better make sure their team medical is up to par..........
    What drives me nuts, and I'm sure the guys on our team as well, is the media acting as if our defense has been gutted with the loss of Trevathan and Jackson. They were great players but they weren't Von Miller type players.

I love that our D thrives on disrespect cause the Broncos are still getting tons of disrespect big time.

Leave a comment:

• the0rangecrush
    replied
    The great this is that the entire defense shares that mindset. Any interview or media blurb with ANY member of this defense, and they all echo that sentiment. I wouldn't be surprised to see better numbers than last year. Repeating is gonna be tough but, honestly speaking, who outside of the Pats in the AFC can really challenge us down the stretch if we remain relatively healthy? Our defensive guys thrive on the disrespect. They know that regardless of what the talking heads say, this is the team to beat. They have a chip on their shoulder, and that's dangerous for a SB squad that's still 90% intact.

We're gonna lay some hurt down on people. Opposing owners better make sure their team medical is up to par..........
    Pittsburgh

Leave a comment:

• flosstein
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rastic
    replied
    Originally posted by Bterres105 View Post
    Although the defense may miss Jackson's defensive production, they definitely won't miss his bonehead flags. I don't know how many times I've seen unnecessary flags thrown for late hit and roughing the passer.

One trend I am apprehensive of is the Phillips' sophomore slump. His defenses aren't as productive the following year for some weird reason.
    Maybe his slumps are remembered more in part due to the Falcons tanking big time after previously making huge gains. As far as a trend is concerned, it really doesn't exist.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X