Manasseh Garner cut... TE John Phillips signed to roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manasseh Garner cut... TE John Phillips signed to roster

The Denver Broncos signed tight end John Phillips Thursday and waived tight end/fullback Manasseh Garner (non-football illness), the team announced.

Phillips (6-5, 251 pounds) was originally drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in the sixth round of the 2009 NFL draft out of the University of Virginia. He most recently played for the San Diego Chargers, catching one pass for a one-yard score last season.

In his six-year career, Phillips has caught 45 passes for 318 yards and four touchdowns. He will join fellow tight ends Jeff Heuerman, Virgil Green, Garrett Graham and Krieger-Coble on Denver’s roster.

Garner, a first-year player, was expected to work as a tight end/fullback hybrid this summer. Earlier this offseason, the team had him listed as a TE/FB on the their roster.

With Garner waived, sixth-round pick Andy Janovich is the lone fullback on Denver’s roster. Janovich, who excelled on special teams while at Nebraska, seemingly has a good chance to make the team’s 53-man roster.

Phillips will have his first opportunity to practice with his new teammates on Friday morning at 9:30 a.m. MT.
    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Janovich is our starting FB.
    -
    Been saying it since draft day.

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Is that from an article? Do you have the source?

Comment

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post
        Janovich is our starting FB.
        -
        Been saying it since draft day.
        Sure. Kubiak wants to use I Formations. Who do you think will provide depth?
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          Sure. Kubiak wants to use I Formations. Who do you think will provide depth?
          Juwan Thompson is playing both tailback and fullback, he was seeing most of his work at fullback in OTAs so my guess is he is #1 or 2 at fullback at this point ... of course he will have to make the team but with his contributions at 3 positions (STs, fullback and TB) he has a better chance than some. He is the only RB getting work at both fullback and tailback.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
            Juwan Thompson is playing both tailback and fullback, he was seeing most of his work at fullback in OTAs so my guess is he is #1 or 2 at fullback at this point ... of course he will have to make the team but with his contributions at 3 positions (STs, fullback and TB) he has a better chance than some. He is the only RB getting work at both fullback and tailback.
            Right. If I Formations are to be used often, there must be depth at FB. Sounds like Janovich and Thompson.

Comment

Heard Janovich interviewed....
              said he has been getting reps with the
              1's.. 2's.. AND 3's..
              but today he was with the 1's...
              and he was hanging right there with 'em....

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                That would be great if Thompson could be effective at FB.
                Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Right. If I Formations are to be used often, there must be depth at FB. Sounds like Janovich and Thompson.
                  Anderson/Booker/Hillman/Bibbs at RB and Janovich/Thompson at FB?

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                    Maybe. Or, Nine OL, Three QBs, Two FBs, Five WRs, Three TEs, Three RBs?

Comment

I think that is too many players assigned to those positions. 5 would be the max, imo. They could also potentially use one of the TE as a FB on occasion.
                      sigpic

Comment

If Thompson can play both there's no need to keep 4 tailbacks. Hillman/Bibbs would be fighting for the final spot, and would be potential players to be de-activated on game days.

Comment

Sounds like Janovich is a starter this year to me
                          Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Maybe. Or, Nine OL, Three QBs, Two FBs, Five WRs, Three TEs, Three RBs?
                            I think I recall Kubiak saying we could end up carrying six WR's. That puts a lot of pressure on Hillman and Bibbs to make the 53. Is Bibbs still PS eligible?

Comment

Roster status: You may or may not have witnessed the miraculous way that the Broncos maintained Montee Ball's practice squad eligibility, making him active for just under the amount of games that would make him ineligible for the practice squad. The Broncos haven't done the same things with Bibbs necessarily, but they can actually sneak him on their practice squad for one more season.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/6...g-has-returned

Comment

Working...
                              X