Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Taylor to IR, Winn signed

http://m.denverbroncos.com/news-and-...5-03d58aca7729

"ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Nose tackle Phil Taylor is headed to injured reserve because of the knee injury he suffered during Friday's practice.

But this does not necessarily mean that Taylor's season is over.

In March, the NFL tweaked its rules regarding recallable injured reserve. Teams are still only allowed to recall one player from injured reserve back to their rosters, but they do not have to designate the player in advance, as had been the case in previous years.

Taylor was carted off the practice field Friday after being injured, but was on the sideline watching the on-field work during each of the past two days.

To fill the vacant spot on the 90-man roster, the Broncos signed defensive end Billy Winn, a 6-foot-4, 300-pounder who heads into his fifth NFL season. Winn broke into the league as a sixth-round pick of the Browns in 2012 and played three seasons in Cleveland, starting 18 games and finishing with three sacks, two forced fumbles, two interceptions, 15 tackles for losses and 11 quarterback hits.

Winn spent last season with the Indianapolis Colts, for which he started three of the 12 games in which he played. Winn had one quarterback hit and one tackle for a loss in his lone Colts campaign."

Sly on the mend, and Taylor to IR. The NT market bears monitoring.
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

Taylor has had a lot of tough injuries. Although it seemed he would be back practicing today or tomorrow, maybe it's best to let him recover 100%. This gives Winn an opportunity to be at TC.

Comment

It did not look like Taylor's "injury" was that serious. He's not happy about the move:

https://twitter.com/PhilTaylor98/sta...98441975595008

@PhilTaylor98

Fishy Fishy

8:48 PM - 31 Jul 2016
      I guess this is just a tactic to release Taylor with an injury settlement. Maybe the staff wanted Taylor to practice this Sunday and he was not willing to do it. Something happened behind the scenes.

Interesting that Elway signed Winn, who is built more like a 3-4 DE. 6'4, 294 (at the Combine), ran 4.84 twice at his Pro Day. NFL Draft Scout had him projected as a 2nd-3rd round pick. Another player drafted by Tom Heckert.
      Last edited by -Rod-; 07-31-2016, 06:15 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Kilgo must have been impressing the coaches

Comment

That's weird, just yesterday Kubiak was saying that he thought Taylor would practice today. If Taylor can actually play this year the Broncos just did him a solid, because they'll release him with an injury settlement $$$, if they were to just wait until he practiced and then release him it would have cost the team nothing.

Comment

If they don't release him, I believe they can re-activate him without designating him in advance. The Broncos can decide who is healthy enough to return from IR in the season without naming Taylor. I guess we'll see if he stays on IR or if he is released.

Also, I think Kenny Anunike is close to returning - read he was running full sprints today.
            Last edited by Fantaztic7; 07-31-2016, 06:55 PM. Reason: Add

Comment

They must not have liked what they were seeing from Taylor. I loved Billy Winn coming out of Boise stat. He adds to the potential pass rush we will have which seems to be shaping up to be deeper and more talented.
              A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

I was interested to see what Taylor looked like this season, but I guess it wasn't to be.

Hopefully Winn can come in and contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by Hesky View Post
                  I was interested to see what Taylor looked like this season, but I guess it wasn't to be.

Hopefully Winn can come in and contribute.
                  Man, Billy Winn was someone I wanted the Colts to keep but he was caught in the numbers shuffle. No one gets a fair shake as a Cleveland Brown. The Colts' DL has better depth than in recent years, except for the OLB position. Winn is very good situationally and as a 3-4 DE, will fit in better on your attacking D, IMO. But given Wade Philips' propensity to use 300 lbers like Jay Ratliff (with Cowboys), Antonio Smith (with Texans and Broncos) as a 1-gap NT, he will be used well even if used as an NT.

Comment

Tweet from Andrew Mason at camp today:

https://twitter.com/MaseDenver/statu...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Billy Winn with pressure on Lynch one play, then good backside pursuit to close on Juwan Thompson on the next snap.

Comment

Originally posted by osfantaztic View Post
                      Tweet from Andrew Mason at camp today:

https://twitter.com/MaseDenver/statu...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Billy Winn with pressure on Lynch one play, then good backside pursuit to close on Juwan Thompson on the next snap.
                      Winn was really held back in Cleveland who played more of the 2 gap 3-4. Winn is a perfect fit for the 1gap 3-4 we run and will contribute in our nickel package across from Wolfe.
                      A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Something really fishy happened. I'm listening to 104.3 and it looks like the Broncos put a healthy Phil Taylor on IR because they wanted to take a look at Winn. It's like they're stashing Taylor and will have a NT available to activate during the season if something happens to Williams or Kilgo. Unless... They release Taylor with a settlement.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                          Something really fishy happened. I'm listening to 104.3 and it looks like the Broncos put a healthy Phil Taylor on IR because they wanted to take a look at Winn. It's like they're stashing Taylor and will have a NT available to activate during the season if something happens to Williams or Kilgo. Unless... They release Taylor with a settlement.
                          Now that anyone can return from IR, they may stash several guys there.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                            Now that anyone can return from IR, they may stash several guys there.
                            I remember hearing this happens a lot with young players. Once final cuts come around, young players get "waived with an injury" and put on the IR for next season. It's one of those grey areas.
                            What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                            I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                              But he can't practice as long as he's on IR and I believe you can only have 1 player return from IR per season. So it would make no sense to stash a guy who has only had part of one practice. Especially when there are other players who won't make the team who can be released for Wynn.

I think this is just a case of the Broncos not wanting Taylor and they were scared that if they just waived him he would claim he's injured and it would turn into an issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X