• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GiddyupGetEm
    replied
    Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
    Don't forget Rod Smith and Elam guys
    Rod Smith is one of my all time favorites. 11000 yards and 68 touchdowns is noteworthy, especially for an undrafted rookie. But objectively they are not HOF numbers.

Elam was clutch and had a boot, but the standard for kickers is so high I don't think he makes it.

The real unsung hero is Nalen. From 1995 to 2006 as a starter, the Broncos rushed for more yards than any team in the NFL. He had new RBs every year after TD. He had rotating line mates up front. Nalen was the only constant. But he doesn't get recognized because they didn't talk to the media. But Dermonti Dawson (with Jerome Bettis) and Larry Allen (with Emmitt Smith) are in the HOF as interior lineman. But Nalen had more yards than they did.

Leave a comment:

• HUMCALC
    replied
    Don't forget Rod Smith and Elam guys

Leave a comment:

• GiddyupGetEm
    replied
    Multiple members of the Selection Committee, including Peter King, have explicitly said TD WILL get in soon. I think 2016 might be the year. Of the newly eligible, LT is a first ballot guy, and possibly Jason Taylor. That leaves plenty of room for TD. But the politics of the Selection Committee are atrocious.

The bias against the Broncos is inexplicable. There are four major criteria: production (#s), greatness (best at your position at the time), championships, and longevity. What I hate most about the Selection Committee is that for Steelers and Packers and Cowboys they are willing to waive multiple criteria. But for Broncos, ALL FOUR criteria seems to be required.

Lynn Swann had a brief career. In 1975 he had 11 touchdowns to lead the League, but otherwise never led the league in any notable WR stats. He was an All Pro just once. Yet he is in solely for his championship performances. But TD has more yards from scrimmage, more touchdowns, more playoff yards, more playoff touchdowns, and all in far fewer games.

Simply put, if the HOF allows players without rings because it is outside their control, then the HOF has to allow players with brief (but amazing) careers ended by injury because it too is outside their control.

Once we get TD in, we need to get Atwater, Wright, Gradishar and Nalen. (Champ is a no brainer)

Leave a comment:

• fraguela09
    replied
    It's easy to refute the greatest point of contention TD detractors espouse.... this notion of longevity (lack thereof in this case): Gale Sayers.

Yep. The galloping ghost is in the HOF... There already is precedence here... TD's career as long as his and definitely, no-doubt about it, TD was more productive (and Gale played in the era of 3 yards and a cloud of dust, while TD played in the West Coast passing era).

The next argument is the Shanny system factor, or the Elway component... To that, I say BAH! Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis are in the HOF... Put TD in plz!

The Broncos had the greatest 3 year stretch in NFL history (most wins)... TD had the most impressive 4 year span as any RB in NFL history... He accomplished the rare feat of 2K yards in a season (and had DEN not sit TD
    most 4th quarters that 14-2 season, TD would have set the single season record)....

But, what puts TD over the top... Is the combination of hardware and "legacy"... MVP, NFL leading rusher, SB MVP... The NFC won every Super Bowl from 1984-1996... TD ended all that NFC domination and prevented a GB dynasty in the process...

Next year... LT will be elected into the HOF... He sat himself... Took himself out of the AFC championship game vs NE.... Meanwhile, TD went on to the field in the SB despite being blind... Used as a decoy.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    Originally posted by ChupaThingy View Post
    I literally went on a rant last night on an ESPN article where Kevin Seifert was talking about TD being a deserving candidate for the HoF. A bunch of those bafoons in the comment's section were downplaying his candidacy because of his overall career length. I argued that he was so good in the playoffs that it ought to give him special consideration for the hall... Here's what I wrote....

Regarding Terrell Davis, Kevin Seifert makes ZERO mention of how otherworldly dominant Davis was in the playoffs. Not against any random bum team, but playoff teams.

TD is tied with Emmitt Smith for the NFL record most career playoff games rushing for 100 yards, at seven games. Davis did that in eight games, the 1st stopping short at 91 yards. Smith? 17 games to get seven. Only Josh Riggins of Washington was remotely as efficient in the playoffs as Davis, six 100 yard games in nine attempts.

TD alone holds the NFL record for most 150 yard rushing games in the playoffs, at four. No other player did so more than twice.

Davis is tied for 5th all time in touchdowns, at 12 in eight games. That’s an average of 1.5 TDs per playoff game. Smith had 19 in 17 games… 1.1 TDs per playoff game.

Davis holds the NFL record for highest average gain in a career (100 attempts min.) at 5.59. Second is Marcus Allen at 5.04 yards average gain.

Even though he only played 8 playoff games total, he is 6th all time in yards gained (1,140) in the playoffs, with considerably fewer games played than most. Smith ended with 1,586, again, with more than double the amount of games played as Davis.

Even with his injury shortened career, Davis’ playoff performance against quality teams warrants special consideration for the HoF.
    must spread rep around....

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    I don't understand why they hold longevity against him. He was GREAT when he was playing. It shouldn't matter. Jerome Bettis had a longer career and he still doesn't hold a candle to TD's accomplishments in my opinion.
    He wasn't great. He was THE BEST. over the 4 years of him being a fulltime starter, he was the best RB in the league. better than emmitt and barry sanders.

Leave a comment:

• captainbronco
    replied
    If TD played on an east coast team he would have been in a long time ago. Its the hall of fame not the hall of longevity. TD was dominant in the mid to late 90s when there were guys like emmitt smith and barry sanders still running.

Leave a comment:

• broncoslover115
    replied
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Jerome Bettis was never a really dominant RB for any stretch in the NFL. He had 3 good seasons but followed them up with a lot of mediocre seasons. But the key is he had a lot of them, so they think he was great, he never was.
    Yup! And I agree with you about Tony Dungy as well.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    I don't understand why they hold longevity against him. He was GREAT when he was playing. It shouldn't matter. Jerome Bettis had a longer career and he still doesn't hold a candle to TD's accomplishments in my opinion.

Jerome Bettis was never a really dominant RB for any stretch in the NFL. He had 3 good seasons but followed them up with a lot of mediocre seasons. But the key is he had a lot of them, so they think he was great, he never was.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    As long as people like Peter King are picking who goes in to the HOF you're going to get their buddies like Jerome Bettis who was a thoroughly mediocre RB for a really really long time, and Tony Dungy, who was a fairly mediocre coach on some talented teams, going in.

And saying that Davis "didn't play long enough" meanwhile overlooking the fact that he was the most dominant RB in NFL playoff history. And that if you take his 8 playoff games they're statistically better than the great 8 game run Peterson had in his 2k season, which is considered the best 8 game stretch in NFL history.

Leave a comment:

• ChupaThingy
    replied
    I agree. There are some scrub RBs in the Hall, when compared to TD.

I just looked it up, in 2018 Gradishar will be eligible for the Senior Hall of Fame vote. He might have an easier route making it through there. To be elibible for the senior vote, a player must've completed their career 25 years prior.

Leave a comment:

• broncoslover115
    replied
    Originally posted by ChupaThingy View Post
    I literally went on a rant last night on an ESPN article where Kevin Seifert was talking about TD being a deserving candidate for the HoF. A bunch of those bafoons in the comment's section were downplaying his candidacy because of his overall career length. I argued that he was so good in the playoffs that it ought to give him special consideration for the hall... Here's what I wrote....

Regarding Terrell Davis, Kevin Seifert makes ZERO mention of how otherworldly dominant Davis was in the playoffs. Not against any random bum team, but playoff teams.

TD is tied with Emmitt Smith for the NFL record most career playoff games rushing for 100 yards, at seven games. Davis did that in eight games, the 1st stopping short at 91 yards. Smith? 17 games to get seven. Only Josh Riggins of Washington was remotely as efficient in the playoffs as Davis, six 100 yard games in nine attempts.

TD alone holds the NFL record for most 150 yard rushing games in the playoffs, at four. No other player did so more than twice.

Davis is tied for 5th all time in touchdowns, at 12 in eight games. That’s an average of 1.5 TDs per playoff game. Smith had 19 in 17 games… 1.1 TDs per playoff game.

Davis holds the NFL record for highest average gain in a career (100 attempts min.) at 5.59. Second is Marcus Allen at 5.04 yards average gain.

Even though he only played 8 playoff games total, he is 6th all time in yards gained (1,140) in the playoffs, with considerably fewer games played than most. Smith ended with 1,586, again, with more than double the amount of games played as Davis.

Even with his injury shortened career, Davis’ playoff performance against quality teams warrants special consideration for the HoF.

Leave a comment:

• ChupaThingy
    replied
    Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    I especially loved watching him run those stretch plays. Sideways, sideways, sideways, then cut and explode through the line! Bang! TD was in a class of his own.

TD, Atwater and Gradishar's absences in Canton are the top 3 greatest travesties of the HoF
    I agree completely. I found out last night when I was reading about Lynch and TD that the hall hasn't inducted a full time safety in 18 years. The last safety they inducted started his career before the AFL/NFL merger. I believe Atwater ought to be inducted before Lynch, but I won't complain either way. Gradishar had the misfortune of playing in the 70's when teams like the Raiders and Steelers were so dominant. Hopefully he gets in with the old timers. It does look like the Broncos' prospects of getting more HoFers in the coming years is pretty bright. Guys likely to get inducted in the next decade: Peyton, Bailey, TD, Lynch. Hopefully Atwater can add his name to that list, as well as Gradishar. Unfortunately I think Gradishar will be the last of the bunch to add his name to the Hall.

Leave a comment:

• ChupaThingy
    replied
    Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I don't think anyone will ever touch his 2476 yards reg/postseason. I'm not sure there was ever a more productive RB in the postseason
    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    There wasn't, and it's hard to believe it will be broken anytime soon with the way the league passes so much now.

Leave a comment:

• Rastic
    replied
    As long as the HOF depends too heavily on writers/reporters to make a case for a particular player, there will always be the deserving overlooked. If a writer can 'sell' the HOF on his player as well as the next guy, though his player is equally or more deserving, the better sales pitch will win.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X