X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
    So? How many TDs? How many big runs?

Better yet how many TFL? Or NO GAIN?
    First on your list is TDs. Ronnie Hillman was 9th in Touchdowns amongst all Runningbacks in the NFL.

I'll let you look up the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
      How much of that is Kubiak, for some reason, firmly implanting him in the "starter" role?
      I have no clue what you are asking. But the reason Hillman played so much, early in the season, was because CJ Anderson was injured (toe). And although Anderson played with the injury in a lot of those early games, he was ineffective.

I simply posted two statements of statistical facts concerning Hillman. No reason for people to get all defensive.

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
        I have no clue what you are asking. But the reason Hillman played so much, early in the season, was because CJ Anderson was injured (toe). And although Anderson played with the injury in a lot of those early games, he was ineffective.

I simply posted two statements of statistical facts concerning Hillman. No reason for people to get all defensive.
        I'm not the one getting defensive. You've just given a reason that may have been why CJ wasn't as effective earlier last season. I would point out that there have also been indications that he wasn't in as good a shape as he should have been to start the year. That still doesn't explain why Kubiak stuck with Hillman as the "starter" for as long as he did, because Anderson very obviously showed that he was the better back over time. It has been speculated that this was a calculated move to motivate CJ. So, since my original post appears to have been unclear, Hillman benefited from a situation where he was getting more plays than he actually deserved and this helped pad his stats.
        Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
          I'm not the one getting defensive. You've just given a reason that may have been why CJ wasn't as effective earlier last season. I would point out that there have also been indications that he wasn't in as good a shape as he should have been to start the year. That still doesn't explain why Kubiak stuck with Hillman as the "starter" for as long as he did, because Anderson very obviously showed that he was the better back over time. It has been speculated that this was a calculated move to motivate CJ. So, since my original post appears to have been unclear, Hillman benefited from a situation where he was getting more plays than he actually deserved and this helped pad his stats.
          Really? I follow this board pretty carefully, but have never heard that "conspiracy theory" before. I think Kubiak is a pretty down to earth guy who played the running back who gave the team the best chance to win. And when Anderson's toe was injured, that left Hillman. Both Hillman and Anderson were playing behind one of the most dysfunctional offensive lines I've seen since becoming a Broncos fan in 1968. To suggest that Hillmans numbers were some how padded is to say that he didn't earn every yard he got as the runningback who was the best option as starter that we had at the time.

I couldn't disagree anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by mozzerpete View Post
            From the article,

"He’s also dealt with a back injury after he got slammed by Zaire Anderson on Sunday."

It goes on to state that Anderson, Booker and Bibbs will be our RBs.

I was really hoping R. Hillman would find his groove since I viewed him as a home run threat.
            It looks like he's on his way out. Sigh.
            To start with I do not see us carrying 5 RB's/ FB's on offense after only carrying 3 RB's last season. So I'd be more inclined to see Booker/CJ & Thompson as our RB's with Thompson as a / player. To be honest that just makes too much sense.

Also on Hillman he has not done enough with his speed when he has had the chance. HE has not shown the ability to be smart while on the field. He speeds left when he should cut right and he is notorious for getting tackled by arm tackles for little to no gain....potential yes....but that appears to be where it ends.

Comment

Ronnie Hillman led the Broncos in Rushing, last season, with 863 yards. He was 14th in the league in Rushing.
              If I may CJ was injured for the first portion of the season and that impacted his play. Add onto that the fact that for most of the time when CJ was our "starter" peyton was in and the plays and style being used was....well a hot mess.

Hillman was then given reps as the starter regardless of his stats later in the season for the most part. IF memory serves correctly once CJ came back healthy I am nearly certain we saw him surpass Hillman stats-wise despite Hillman starting most games. Also remember CJ was in a hybrid system with an OLine who was allowing holes to be punched in them like Swiss cheese.

Comment

Really? I follow this board pretty carefully, but have never heard that "conspiracy theory" before. I think Kubiak is a pretty down to earth guy who played the running back who gave the team the best chance to win. And when Anderson's toe was injured, that left Hillman. Both Hillman and Anderson were playing behind one of the most dysfunctional offensive lines I've seen since becoming a Broncos fan in 1968. To suggest that Hillmans numbers were some how padded is to say that he didn't earn every yard he got as the runningback who was the best option as starter that we had at the time.

I think Kubiaks motivation near the end was clear...CJ was healthy and Kubiak wanted to save him...like a vet rest day. Hillman therefore got more carries just because. CJ had stellar stats for the back half of the season...again. That all IN-SPITE of the fact he was not the starter until the SB...fancy that. If Hillman was, as you stated, the best option to have us win why did we barely see him in game in SB50?

Comment

You keep going back to the beginning of the season and ignoring how Anderson performed once he was healthy. Hillman was very obviously not the best option, as Anderson outplayed him more and more as the season went on. And, no, I didn't suggest that Hillman didn't 'earn every yard' he got at Running Back. I said that he didn't earn the starting job over a healthy Anderson and pointed out a speculation as to why Kubiak kept Hillman in as the nominal starter.

So disagree with the words that you're trying to put in my mouth all you wish. It's getting close to Winter. Practice building snow men instead of straw men.
                  Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

I believe Hillman is a better RB than most give credit for. I think the problem was all the hype he got coming into the league gave everyone unrealistic expectations. While Hillman is no work horse, he can be effective in a run by committee approach. Hillman has progressed each year, all though not by a lot, progress is still progress. I also would not be to upset if Hillman moved on.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncolassiter View Post
                      I believe Hillman is a better RB than most give credit for. I think the problem was all the hype he got coming into the league gave everyone unrealistic expectations. While Hillman is no work horse, he can be effective in a run by committee approach. Hillman has progressed each year, all though not by a lot, progress is still progress. I also would not be to upset if Hillman moved on.
                      Not trying to be argumentative but genuinely curious. How has Hillman progressed?

Maybe protects the ball better then his first couple years. But other then that what has he improved?

Still not good at pass pro, still gets arm tackled too often, rarely shows the speed we keep hearing about, has never played STs although that seems a natural way to make himself useful.

Hillman is limited IMO. Tough for one dimensional backup RBs to keep a roster spot. At this point I would think his roster spot is in real danger. Both Thompson and Bibbs are proving themselves more versatile and IMO Hillman is the odd man out at the moment.

Five RBs is about the max I see the Broncos keeping. Anderson, Booker, Janovich, Thompson and either Bibbs or Hillman if the choose to keep five. Interesting battle for that roster spot.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                        Not trying to be argumentative but genuinely curious. How has Hillman progressed?

Maybe protects the ball better then his first couple years. But other then that what has he improved?

Still not good at pass pro, still gets arm tackled too often, rarely shows the speed we keep hearing about, has never played STs although that seems a natural way to make himself useful.

Hillman is limited IMO. Tough for one dimensional backup RBs to keep a roster spot. At this point I would think his roster spot is in real danger. Both Thompson and Bibbs are proving themselves more versatile and IMO Hillman is the odd man out at the moment.

Five RBs is about the max I see the Broncos keeping. Anderson, Booker, Janovich, Thompson and either Bibbs or Hillman if the choose to keep five. Interesting battle for that roster spot.
                        I completely agree with your statement however one thing worries me.

Capri bibbs, as bad as Ronnie Hillman has been as one dimensional running back how the heck hasn't Capri not beat him for a higher position on the depth chart?

I've heard the Capri is a very talented running back but he's one-dimensional as well meaning he can't block to save his life but can he really be that much worse then he'll man comes the blocking down the field?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                          I completely agree with your statement however one thing worries me.

Capri bibbs, as bad as Ronnie Hillman has been as one dimensional running back how the heck hasn't Capri not beat him for a higher position on the depth chart?

I've heard the Capri is a very talented running back but he's one-dimensional as well meaning he can't block to save his life but can he really be that much worse then he'll man comes the blocking down the field?
                          As I said, interesting battle.

Reports I have heard is Bibbs is running well in the system and if I remember correctly played kick return last year. Also some comments that he would not last on the practice squad if sent there.

Hillman has been called out for lack of effort. Also same old arm tackling issues. Not good for him IMO. But experienced.

If a fifth RB is kept I would go Bibbs. Still young and hopefully can improve his pass pro. Can Hillman ever improve his? Admit I have been disappointed with Hillman's development since drafted. So my judgement is biased.

Comment

Ryan Murphy brought back to play safety, but he left the prostitutes at home. Kenny Anunike waived.

Comment

Working...
                            X