Probable false report - Talib Facing Possible Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by osfantaztic View Post
    I know. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst - we'll have to wait and see. Roby is having a great camp. Webster and Doss are both doing well.
    Agreed. This team will pull through regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
      And in Ben's case there was a complantant/witness. To my knowledge there are none here and I'm assuming they have not secured the weapon. With what we know right now, I can't figure out what they'd suspend him for.
      He does have a history of offseason shenanigans.

Comment

Also have to consider there are different levels of proof needed.

Same as level proof needed in legal or civil cases there is a much lower and vague threshold for the NFL to find fault and suspend. I realize some are using the initial report with Talib as the victim as the rallying cry. But unless i missed it, that was just the initial incident report.

NFL sent their own investigators. Interesting to know how that went. Police have limited resources and likely spent little time following up on statements and evidence. They had bigger issues to deal with then a bunch of drunk knuckleheads at a park in the middle of the night and one gets shot with a minor wound. Especially when the witnesses were uncooperative.

NFL investigators can spend more time, resources and influence to find out more. Witnesses are much more likely to tell the truth when they will not be forced to go to a trial or sign their name on a witness report. Prosecutors may not have enough to file charges, if they even were motivated to in the first place. But the NFL investigators may have additial info to pass on to Goodell. Most of us here are skeptical of the details, imagine how the league office is reacting.

All speculation on my part, but I have prepared myself for a suspension for a while now. Hopefully not more then 4 games or so. but I just can not imagine it is not coming. Luckily the Broncos are covered by having quality depth but it is a setback.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
          Plaxico Burress went to jail for shooting himself. Every time I hear his name that's what I think of.
          Incorrect, Burress went to jail for carrying a concealed weapon in a state where his concealed weapons license was not valid and had expired the year prior. He was also charged with reckless endangerment as the bullet that fired from his gun barely missed a nightclub worker before being lodged into the wall near the bar of the club.
          sigpic

Comment

If a suspension does come about, looking at the bright side - at least it's from a position where we have a crazy amount of depth.

Roby would step in and we wouldn't miss a beat. Always nice to also have Webster as the #3 CB who has played well.

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
              If a suspension does come about, looking at the bright side - at least it's from a position where we have a crazy amount of depth.

Roby would step in and we wouldn't miss a beat. Always nice to also have Webster as the #3 CB who has played well.
              Lorenzo Doss is a player to watch!

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                Also have to consider there are different levels of proof needed.

Same as level proof needed in legal or civil cases there is a much lower and vague threshold for the NFL to find fault and suspend. I realize some are using the initial report with Talib as the victim as the rallying cry. But unless i missed it, that was just the initial incident report.

NFL sent their own investigators. Interesting to know how that went. Police have limited resources and likely spent little time following up on statements and evidence. They had bigger issues to deal with then a bunch of drunk knuckleheads at a park in the middle of the night and one gets shot with a minor wound. Especially when the witnesses were uncooperative.

NFL investigators can spend more time, resources and influence to find out more. Witnesses are much more likely to tell the truth when they will not be forced to go to a trial or sign their name on a witness report. Prosecutors may not have enough to file charges, if they even were motivated to in the first place. But the NFL investigators may have additial info to pass on to Goodell. Most of us here are skeptical of the details, imagine how the league office is reacting.

All speculation on my part, but I have prepared myself for a suspension for a while now. Hopefully not more then 4 games or so. but I just can not imagine it is not coming. Luckily the Broncos are covered by having quality depth but it is a setback.
                I doubt the NFL investigators would look that much deeper into this. Simply because if they do go deeper and find that Talib shot himself in an attempt to shoot someone else, it would make the NFL look worse than it already looks in this situation. He might get suspended just for being in that situation but I don't believe they'll look too much deeper to try and suspend him longer than a minimal amount of games. Goodell cares more about the NFLs image, people say he gets trigger happy on suspensions but it's always about the image so if he goes deeper into this he's only hurting what he's trying to protect.

Comment

Originally posted by Jermz79 View Post
                  Incorrect, Burress went to jail for carrying a concealed weapon in a state where his concealed weapons license was not valid and had expired the year prior. He was also charged with reckless endangerment as the bullet that fired from his gun barely missed a nightclub worker before being lodged into the wall near the bar of the club.
                  Evidently you missed the sarcasm of my post.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                    I doubt the NFL investigators would look that much deeper into this. Simply because if they do go deeper and find that Talib shot himself in an attempt to shoot someone else, it would make the NFL look worse than it already looks in this situation. He might get suspended just for being in that situation but I don't believe they'll look too much deeper to try and suspend him longer than a minimal amount of games. Goodell cares more about the NFLs image, people say he gets trigger happy on suspensions but it's always about the image so if he goes deeper into this he's only hurting what he's trying to protect.
                    Perhaps. But even defense attorneys hire investigators because they do not want to be blindsided if the facts come out against their clients.

Also seems to be a reaction by the league to be more professional after they looked so foolish after the Rice "investigation" blew up in their faces. That hurt the Shields image too.

JMO. We will see what if anything comes out of it. With all the possible appeals and delays perhaps the Broncos can extend it out to next year when his contract is manageable and likely gone anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                      Plaxico Burress went to jail for shooting himself. Every time I hear his name that's what I think of.
                      Burress was in new York where you can't carry in that area. Texas you are allowed to carry

Comment

Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
                        Burress was in new York where you can't carry in that area. Texas you are allowed to carry
                        Texas carry laws are not as simple as you may think. There are limitations on how, when and where you are legally allowed to carry.

One aspect important here is you can not legally carry if you have a measurable blood alcohol level. Since Talib has stated he "was too drunk to remember anything" he can not admit to having a gun. None of his drunk friends can either or face a stiff penalty.

Talib just has to continue to not say a word and hopefully Goodell just slaps his wrist instead of using the hammer to prove a point.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                          Texas carry laws are not as simple as you may think. There are limitations on how, when and where you are legally allowed to carry.

One aspect important here is you can not legally carry if you have a measurable blood alcohol level. Since Talib has stated he "was too drunk to remember anything" he can not admit to having a gun. None of his drunk friends can either or face a stiff penalty.

Talib just has to continue to not say a word and hopefully Goodell just slaps his wrist instead of using the hammer to prove a point.
                          Um, just as you predicted FR, TMZ just released photos of the "bloody" scene as they put it, on FB. Shows a blanket with blood and some guy in a hospital bed.

I don't know how to download photos here so can't post them but they aren't as "bloody" as the headline shouts.
                          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                            Um, just as you predicted FR, TMZ just released photos of the "bloody" scene as they put it, on FB. Shows a blanket with blood and some guy in a hospital bed.

I don't know how to download photos here so can't post them but they aren't as "bloody" as the headline shouts.
                            My question would be, how is that not a BLATANT HIPAA violation?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                              Because they couldn't/didn't identify who the person was in the bed.
                              Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                                Who knows the source of the photos? Was it a medical professional or one of his friends capturing the moment with a phone?

Judgement seemed to be impaired that night. Photo evidence of your celebrity buddy's misfortune does not seem too far a stretch.

What bothers me most about these situations is how long it lingers. Investigation has been done. Wish the League would make a decision. Either let it go or suspend him. Broncos have a season starting soon. They do not need this drama lingering on the field and in press conferences for the next several weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X