Devontae Booker Stealing First Team Reps From Hillman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devontae Booker Stealing First Team Reps From Hillman

According to NFL.com writer Mark Sessler, Booker found himself working with the starters on Saturday behind CJ and ahead of Hillman.

Booker has the size and ability to be a better overall RB than Hillman, IMO. Booker is a good/great receiver. Before he was injured his last season with Utah he was one of the best RBs in the country (ranked by some to be 3rd best at his position), as long as he can stay healthy he will likely be a steal for a 4th round pick. Had he not been injured at Utah I don't think he would've made it past the 2nd round.

If he does surpass Hillman for the #2 spot at RB, it might be time to cut Hillman considering he has a $2M (saving 1.5M on the cap after dead money) contract vs Booker at $545,000 and Bibbs at 525,000 and he doesn't seem to have a role on STs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...s-from-hillman
    Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 08-14-2016, 12:51 PM. Reason: added link to article
    sigpic

Not surprised, they've been quite high on Booker during the offseason and he seems to have responded with a good camp. Although Hillman has had a big role in the past, I think everyone saw that he was facing an uphill competition to make the team.

Comment

I am a Booker fan! I think he fills some voids for us, and brings some real talent to our backfield.

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
        According to NFL.com writer Mark Sessler, Booker found himself working with the starters on Saturday behind CJ and ahead of Hillman.

Booker has the size and ability to be a better overall RB than Hillman, IMO. Booker is a good/great receiver. Before he was injured his last season with Utah he was one of the best RBs in the country (ranked by some to be 3rd best at his position), as long as he can stay healthy he will likely be a steal for a 4th round pick. Had he not been injured at Utah I don't think he would've made it past the 2nd round.

If he does surpass Hillman for the #2 spot at RB, it might be time to cut Hillman considering he has a $2M (saving 1.5M on the cap after dead money) contract vs Booker at $545,000 and Bibbs at 525,000 and he doesn't seem to have a role on STs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...s-from-hillman
        He isnt stealing the time...he's earning it.

And I agree, I do think there is a good chance Hillman will be gone by the end of camp. I expect we will go into the season with CJ, Booker, and Bibbs.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MH Stampede View Post

And I agree, I do think there is a good chance Hillman will be gone by the end of camp. I expect we will go into the season with CJ, Booker, and Bibbs.
          I'm not sure about Bibbs, with Thompson playing TB-FB-ST that versatility will ensure he makes the team. So now it becomes whether Bibbs can make enough of an impact on specials to be active on game days, and if not then it will be about where they want their depth to be amongst their 7 inactive players. Plus I think Bibbs has another year of PS eligibility, so that could come into play as well.

He just needs to keep working and give them reasons why he needs to be on the final 53.

Comment

Not sure why Hillman never wants to bounce anything outside. Every time I see him he's always runing inside.

With that said... Booker looks decent.
            dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

I have high hopes for Booker. I haven't been as excited for a rookie running back since the days of Clinton Portis...

Comment

I'm gonna reach a little further. I can see Booker starting by mid season. CJ will tweak something and Booker will fill in and never look back.
                I'm not a fan of Bibbs as many of you seem to be. I'm sure there are plenty of CSU fans and that's the reason. I'm a UT fan so I don't have the college loyalties to him. From what I've seen, he's small with average vision and speed. If you're his size you better be a game changer and he's not.

Comment

Originally posted by RainyTX View Post
                  I'm gonna reach a little further. I can see Booker starting by mid season. CJ will tweak something and Booker will fill in and never look back.
                  I'm not a fan of Bibbs as many of you seem to be. I'm sure there are plenty of CSU fans and that's the reason. I'm a UT fan so I don't have the college loyalties to him. From what I've seen, he's small with average vision and speed. If you're his size you better be a game changer and he's not.
                  I would agree with you on our feelings about bibbs compared to most of the others here. However, he seems to have actually turned the corner a little bit. It has nothing to do with his numbers or anything. It's just the way he ran Thursday looked way smoother than his first two seasons did, where I agree he was being overrated by many.

Comment

Originally posted by MH Stampede View Post

To me, the use of the phrase, "stealing reps" isn't implying that he isn't earning them." I think he's "stealing reps" because he's earned it.

Comment

Originally posted by RainyTX View Post
                      same can be said of Hillman. I don't think the talk of Bibbs is so much how great he is, but more of he isn't much different than Hillman but with more upside, imo.
                      sigpic

Comment

I could see Hillman getting squeezed off the roster. They could go with RB: Anderson, Booker, (Thompson) and FB: Janovich, Thompson. With Bibbs on the PS if Anderson or Booker go down. But Hillman does have a bit of speed that the others lack, including Bibbs. I don't know, I could see it going either way.
                        Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Ronnie's fine. Lots of straight line speed. Not a good blocker, not a good inside heavy yardage player, and definitely lacking in the ability to deke defenders one on one. Watch the good backs, they either beat defenders one on one with moves, or they try to run over the defenders....usually gaining at least several yards in the process. Plus he does not put up receiving stats, definitely not last season.

So.....3rd back perhaps. Nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            Ronnie's fine. Lots of straight line speed. Not a good blocker, not a good inside heavy yardage player, and definitely lacking in the ability to deke defenders one on one. Watch the good backs, they either beat defenders one on one with moves, or they try to run over the defenders....usually gaining at least several yards in the process. Plus he does not put up receiving stats, definitely not last season.

So.....3rd back perhaps. Nothing more.
                            Is he really that fast straight ahead either? Doesn't appear to have exceptional speed to me. Ran a 4.45 forty coming out I believe. For being a "change of pace back" that isn't that special. What I think of is his 80 yard td against Minnesota and the fact that he never really pulled away from the linebacker. I don't believe that backer was Anthony Barr either.

Comment

I was ready for Hillman to be gone before the beginning of last season so this is good news for me that Booker has already surpassed him. Didn't expect it to happen this quickly

Comment

Working...
                              X