No announcement yet.

Devontae Booker Stealing First Team Reps From Hillman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Hillman gets bumped off the roster I'll say thanks for the effort and good luck in the future, unless he's playing the Broncos. I try as hard as I can not to rag on him because I think he has given his best honest effort for as long as he has been with the team. As far as the RB positions, may the best men win.
    Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

They signed him to that contract...
      IIRC .. a million bucks?
      -
      That means Hillman can be traded....
      -
      Hillman is too small to contribute on special teams....
      since we already have guys slated for returners...
      but he is fast.
      -
      Hopefully some other team is looking for a returner/RB....
      that would be the best move.. instead of cutting him.
      I bet Matt Russell is scouring the other teams as we speak.
      - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

And since he is signed to that bigger contract....
        if they cant trade him....
        I see them cutting him..
        Bibbs is cheaper.. more up side.
        -
        Kubiak been talking up Bibbs all camp.
        - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

I think this may be the year Hillman finally doesn't sneak onto the team. We will be carrying 3 QB's this season, a FB, and at least 3 TE's. I can't see us carrying more than 3-4 backs. I see the final RB crew looking like this

1. CJ
          2. Davonte
          3. Bibbs
          4 (if we carry 4) Thompson

I just don't see Hillman making the cut and if he does, I really have to question what pictures he has on Elway that are keeping him on the roster.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
            I think this may be the year Hillman finally doesn't sneak onto the team. We will be carrying 3 QB's this season, a FB, and at least 3 TE's. I can't see us carrying more than 3-4 backs. I see the final RB crew looking like this

1. CJ
            2. Davonte
            3. Bibbs

I just don't see Hillman making the cut and if he does, I really have to question what pictures he has on Elway that are keeping him on the roster.

This.
            Bibbs can do everything hillman can only better. He also can play ST. Bibbs has the best vision and anticipation of the RBs. Hes not as good at the other stuff, but he sees the whole before its there. Booker will be the 1B for sure.

Ive never been a fan of ronnie. Always cheered him on no doubt, but never been a fan and I will be happy to see other players take advantage of his spot.
            So far:
            FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
            1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post
              They signed him to that contract...
              IIRC .. a million bucks?
              -
              That means Hillman can be traded....
              -
              Hillman is too small to contribute on special teams....
              since we already have guys slated for returners...
              but he is fast.
              -
              Hopefully some other team is looking for a returner/RB....
              that would be the best move.. instead of cutting him.
              I bet Matt Russell is scouring the other teams as we speak.
              I'm not sure why anyone would trade for him? They can get him cheaper as a free agent, plus no compensation. And the Broncos have tried Hillman as a returner in practice, he can't do it. His value is strictly as an RB, that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post

1. CJ
                2. Davonte
                3. Bibbs

I don't think Hillman makes it either, but Thompson would be above Bibbs because of his versatility. When Janovich left practice the other day Thompson took 100% of the fullback reps. Because he's a player who takes care of depth at two positions I think he's above Bibbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                  I don't think Hillman makes it either, but Thompson would be above Bibbs because of his versatility. When Janovich left practice the other day Thompson took 100% of the fullback reps. Because he's a player who takes care of depth at two positions I think he's above Bibbs.
                  So now you say Bibbs and Thompson are competing for a spot on the team? The other day you said that Bibbs wasn't competing with Thompson for a spot. Is Thompson actually capable of being sufficient at the FB position? I thought that last year he could be but we did not utilize him or others to play FB and actually cut Casey who was considered TE/FB and pretty much abandoned the use of a FB. So far in the 1st preseason game I don't think we used a FB more than maybe 50%? of the time. I am interested in seeing what Thompson actually contributes to ST in the upcoming games, it doesn't seem obvious - what he contributes, he has 1 assist in his 2 years on ST - but I don't pay particular close attention to individual players efforts on ST... I did see Juwan miss or basically get ran over when in position to make a tackle on our first kickoff, he failed to tackle the runner. I agree that he is versatile but how hard is it to replace him on ST? Just my opinion but he isn't the impact ST player that Bruton was for instance and many players are capable of contributing to ST, including Janovich, Latimer and maybe Bibbs etc. As far as the RB/TB position goes; is he better than Bibbs? I don't think it is known yet, need to see more plays from both in the next preseason game or two or three.
                  BTW, I don't see it far fetched that we keep 3 RBs and 2 FBs that allows both Thompson and Bibbs to make the team. As far as Hillman ... I don't think he will be better than other prospects on STs and his salary also puts him at a disadvantage relative to Bibbs, I think he will ultimately be cut.
                  Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 08-16-2016, 01:53 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                    So now you say Bibbs and Thompson are competing for a spot on the team? The other day you said that Bibbs wasn't competing with Thompson for a spot. Is Thompson actually capable of being sufficient at the FB position? I thought that last year he could be but we did not utilize him or others to play FB and actually cut Casey who was considered TE/FB and pretty much abandoned the use of a FB. So far in the 1st preseason game I don't think we used a FB more than maybe 50%? of the time. I am interested in seeing what Thompson actually contributes to ST in the upcoming games, it doesn't seem obvious but I don't pay particular close attention to individual players efforts... I did see Juwan miss or basically get ran over when in position to make a tackle on our first kickoff, he failed to tackle the runner. I agree that he is versatile but how hard is it to replace him on ST? Just my opinion but he isn't the impact ST player that Bruton was for instance and many players are capable of contributing to ST, including Janovich, Latimer and maybe Bibbs etc. As far as the RB/TB position goes; is he better than Bibbs? I don't think it is known yet, need to see more plays from both in the next preseason game or two or three.
                    BTW, I don't see it far fetched that we keep 3 RBs and 2 FBs that allows both Thompson and Bibbs to make the team. As far as Hillman ... I don't think he will be better than other prospects on STs and his salary also puts him at a disadvantage relative to Bibbs, I think he will ultimately be cut.
                    No, if you see I said Thompson is third, nowhere did I list Bibbs and Thomspon competing. Thompson is third because of his versatility, if the Broncos want to keep 4 RBs, then Bibbs can make it. But his abilities on special teams will determine whether he's active on game days. Also possibly working against Bibbs is that he has PS eligibility left, that could be a factor.

Thompson was the special teams captain at Dook (spelling intentional) one play on one kickoff isn't going to be a determining factor one way or the other for any player. Yes it can lead to opportunities (as it did for TD in 1995) but the coaches aren't going to judge Thompson on the one play.

I know you're a big Bibbs guy, and that's cool, but I think that he's behind Thompson (if the Broncos keep 3 RBs) because of Thompsons versatility. Therefore Bibbs is competing against Hillman if the Broncos keep 4 RBs with the thought of them all being RBs (Bibbs has a big advantage there in my opinion) But if they're leaning towards 3 RBs then I believe Bibbs is competing against bubble players from various positions (TE, LB, DB) for a roster spot as a special teams player.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                      No, if you see I said Thompson is third, nowhere did I list Bibbs and Thomspon competing. Thompson is third because of his versatility, if the Broncos want to keep 4 RBs, then Bibbs can make it. But his abilities on special teams will determine whether he's active on game days. Also possibly working against Bibbs is that he has PS eligibility left, that could be a factor.

Thompson was the special teams captain at Dook (spelling intentional) one play on one kickoff isn't going to be a determining factor one way or the other for any player. Yes it can lead to opportunities (as it did for TD in 1995) but the coaches aren't going to judge Thompson on the one play.

I know you're a big Bibbs guy, and that's cool, but I think that he's behind Thompson (if the Broncos keep 3 RBs) because of Thompsons versatility. Therefore Bibbs is competing against Hillman if the Broncos keep 4 RBs with the thought of them all being RBs (Bibbs has a big advantage there in my opinion) But if they're leaning towards 3 RBs then I believe Bibbs is competing against bubble players from various positions (TE, LB, DB) for a roster spot as a special teams player.
                      So indirectly Bibbs and Thompson are competing for a spot via ST. The one play on the kickoff will not be the determining factor but it doesn't seem we can assume that just because Juwan was a captain on ST at "Dook" that he is automatically a good ST player at this level. Juwan has not stood out on ST that I have seen but I will be watching closer in the next games. Even trying to be objective, I think Bibbs is ahead of Juwan at RB depth, his 15 carries Thursday I think is an indication of that, and maybe not sometimes a player is given more reps in order for coaches to make a decision. Last October Bibbs was promoted to the active roster from the PS and it was reported by at least the Denver Post it was due to interest from another team ... he may not make it past waivers to the PS?
                      As I said, I think they both make the team.
                      sigpic

Comment

Butler I don't see how Broncos only keep 4 out of the 6 guys (RBs & FBs). CJ and JT don't have the best health history. Ronnie and Kapri would most likely get picked up by another team if cut so if injury bug hit Broncos would be forced to pick up a RB off the street who wasn't in camp.

How I see it, CJ Jano and Booker obvious locks. If coaching staff thinks JT can be a capable FB, I'd say 95% lock for versatility. Then I see it between Hillman and Bibbs for last spot.

4 out of those 6 would be risky IMO

Could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpelt4prez View Post
                          Butler I don't see how Broncos only keep 4 out of the 6 guys (RBs & FBs). CJ and JT don't have the best health history. Ronnie and Kapri would most likely get picked up by another team if cut so if injury bug hit Broncos would be forced to pick up a RB off the street who wasn't in camp.

How I see it, CJ Jano and Booker obvious locks. If coaching staff thinks JT can be a capable FB, I'd say 95% lock for versatility. Then I see it between Hillman and Bibbs for last spot.

4 out of those 6 would be risky IMO

Could be wrong though.
                          If there is no discernible difference between Hillman and Bibbs on the field, then the obvious choice is Bibbs.

Hillman has made contributions to the team but this is a new season with new competition and he's never made the case that says he must be on the team; he's always managed to hang on. Anderson is a lock as is Booker so Hillman and Bibbs both need to make a case for their place on the roster which will likely mean a greater participation in STs, something which Hillman has little experience with.

Thompson... if they can transition him to a FB type role... if. They already seem sold on Janovich who is more a prototypical FB. Green has also played in the backfield as well. So do they use a TE for depth at FB or a RB that might possibly play RB and FB but is certainly low on the chart in both positions?

I like Thompson, he's a bruiser. But he strikes me as more of a north-south runner not necessarily suited to a ZBS scheme. Maybe they keep him for short yard situations? I don't know.

With the way Kubiak has been talking up Bibbs, it sounds like Hillman on the bubble in a crowded, talented pool.

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                            So indirectly Bibbs and Thompson are competing for a spot via ST. The one play on the kickoff will not be the determining factor but it doesn't seem we can assume that just because Juwan was a captain on ST at "Dook" that he is automatically a good ST player at this level. Juwan has not stood out on ST that I have seen but I will be watching closer in the next games. Even trying to be objective, I think Bibbs is ahead of Juwan at RB depth, his 15 carries Thursday I think is an indication of that, and maybe not sometimes a player is given more reps in order for coaches to make a decision. Last October Bibbs was promoted to the active roster from the PS and it was reported by at least the Denver Post it was due to interest from another team ... he may not make it past waivers to the PS?
                            As I said, I think they both make the team.
                            No. Thompson will make the team because he can play RB and FB along with special teams. No disrespect intended towards Bibbs at all, but Thompson's versatility will ensure a spot. It's the same as someone who could play ILB/OLB or C/S, when you can do more than one thing it helps your cause.

Taking a step back and considering what VP4P said, there is a real chance that the Broncos intend to keep 5 backs total, and because of Thompson being able to play RB/FB it would allow them to keep Bibbs. 5 total backs isn't the worst thing in the world, especially if they are planning on running lots of 2 back sets.

Comment

Juwan Thompson is on the depth chart as a Fullback because that position needs depth. My guess is that the backfield will have two FBs, three QBs and three RB/TBs. That Thompson could play RB/TB is a plus.
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                                We will see. Bibbs had 15 carries for under 60 yards. If Hillman gets 15 carries I think he will top the yardage mark Bibbs set. Him being on special teams tells me that Thompson is no lock either, I highly doubt Bibbs or Hillman will be doing much blocking on special teams. Although I will say Hillman looked better in pass protection against the Bears, he's usually in good position just has problems standing his ground.
                                I think Thompson is more of a lock then Bibbs or Hillman imo. His versatility in playing RB or FB makes him more valuable. While he seems more suited to a bruiser runner, he can be used in short yardage and as depth at RB and FB something the other 2 can not. I personally think we keep 5 with CJ, Booker,Janovich having spots. Believe the versatility of Thompson will give him spot number 4. So that leaves 1 spot for Bibbs and Hillman. I see an odd man out. We shall see what happens next.
                                My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Working...
                                X