Devontae Booker Stealing First Team Reps From Hillman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
    A little news bit from the Internet stated that hillman will most likely traded or cut on the last day . You know you can't believe all the stuff you read just thought id share it.
    Does anybody know the interest out there for Hillman?

He's been faithful but mostly average (last year he did have a good average of over 4 YPC). He's not the quick change of pace back he should be for his size, ususally goes down on first contact, isn't great in blocking, and does not pose much of a threat as a receiver.

Hillman was a free agent until after mid-April after a lot of other players and shuffled around during free agency. He didn't get much interest then, what kind of trade interest do you think he'd get now?

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      Juwan Thompson is currently the backup Fullback. If I Formations are to be used a fair amount, the FB position needs depth. If Thompson is cut, another backup FB will need to be found.
      In the 1st preseason game a FB was used less than 40% of the plays and about 20% of the plays or 13-15 plays in the 2nd preseason game. IF our FB goes down is it that difficult to scrap using a FB and keep with primarily 1 back formations? I like using a FB, CJ's 19 yard TD run Janovich made a significant block. We did have Thompson last year but did not really use 2 back formations/FB; was that due to Thompson being unable to play the position well enough?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
        In the 1st preseason game a FB was used less than 40% of the plays and about 20% of the plays or 13-15 plays in the 2nd preseason game. IF our FB goes down is it that difficult to scrap using a FB and keep with primarily 1 back formations? I like using a FB, CJ's 19 yard TD run Janovich made a significant block. We did have Thompson last year but did not really use 2 back formations/FB; was that due to Thompson being unable to play the position well enough?

We've been pass heavy to evaluate the QB's.
        Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
          We've been pass heavy to evaluate the QB's.
          OK, that doesn't really answer my questions but are you saying that if a FB is in the game we aren't going to pass? I would think a 2 back formation would still be mixed in on pass plays quite a bit if we plan on carrying a FB or 2. And I would think there is a need to evaluate/practice using 2 back formations on pass plays too. There were 57 passes in the 2nd game, 25 runs ... with sacks 88 offensive plays; that is a lot of plays. My guess would be the score dictated that many plays and pass plays but still a FB was used far less than 20% of the plays.
          sigpic

Comment

OK, that doesn't really answer my questions but are you saying that if a FB is in the game we aren't going to pass? I would think a 2 back formation would still be mixed in on pass plays quite a bit if we plan on carrying a FB or 2. And I would think there is a need to evaluate/practice using 2 back formations on pass plays too. There were 57 passes in the 2nd game, 25 runs ... with sacks 88 offensive plays; that is a lot of plays. My guess would be the score dictated that many plays and pass plays but still a FB was used far less than 20% of the plays.
            It looked to me like we 'opened up' the passing game quite a bit, even right at the beginning of games. Put more guys out on the LOS in potential routes to give the QB's more complicated reads.
            Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Originally posted by Tarheel23 View Post
              If Jano goes down we will figure it out from there. We also have 3-4 TEs who can play FB if called upon. If they cut Thompson I highly doubt they sign another FB unless injuries happen.
              Tight End and Fullback are pretty different in the type of blocking they do and routes they run. The part of the playcall that speaks to the FB is different from the TE. Practice time is already limited. Asking one guy to have command of both is asking a lot. If a game plan called for a fair amount of I Formations and the one FB left the game, it might not go well with a backup TE playing from Fullback depth.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

With regards to the OP, Booker isnt stealing reps, he's earning them. Hillman is losing them because he still gets knocked over by a stiff breeze and his one move is to bounce it to the outside.

I think the lack of Thompson at FB may have been because he wasn't as familiar with it last year, but mostly because we were trying to accomodate a pass happy Peyton Manning lead offense.

Now, some speculation on my part. Having seen how the offseason unfold, I really think that Elway resigning Hillman was all just a smokescreen for the draft and an insurance policy at worst. He knew full well heading into the draft that we were incredibly shakey at QB having only Sanchez and Siemian on the roster. Plus, I would wager that he wasn't thrilled with the RB's production last year, so that was an area he thought needed improvement. I think he knew that he would have to get one or the other, or both in the first half of the draft with the emphasis on getting a QB early. As everything unfolded we got Paxton, and we still needed a RB in the mid rounds. Hillman, at this point, was insurance to cover that hole if we couldn't get one Elway liked in the 4-6 rounds. Although he's not the best, he knows the offense and does come away with a home run every now and then. By signing him, Elway was making it seem like we were set at RB, so teams looking to grab one wouldn't try to trade ahead of us. That's when the unexpected happened and Booker fell to us in the 4th and Elway got both positions he wanted.

All that being said, I don't know how much money he was guaranteed, but he will probably be a cap casualty. I'm not as high on Bibbs as some of the Colorado natives are on these boards, but he does seem like he is capable of breaking more tackles than Hillman. If it were me, this is how I'd stack the depth chart.

CJ
                Booker
                Thompson
                Bibbs

I put Thompson ahead of Bibbs because as others have mentioned, he is very versatile and can come in handy in a pinch.RB/FB/STs are a lot of hats to hold and a lot of people who need to fill them if he gets cut. I thought he made a great tackle against SF on a kickoff, so he has that going for him too.
                Last edited by ChupaThingy; 08-23-2016, 03:15 AM.
                2014/2015 Adopt-A-Bronco : TJ Ward - GO DUCKS!

Comment

My favorite college team is the Utah Utes, so I have paid attention to Booker throughout his collegiate career. I'm confident in saying that this guy is going to be a FORCE in the NFL. I was thrilled that the Broncos drafted him.

Comment

Booker looks explosive and I can't wait to see him roll during the season.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                      Booker looks explosive and I can't wait to see him roll during the season.
                      Heck yeah!

Comment

Working...
                      X