Broncos' Pat Bowlen finalist for Hall of Fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hesky View Post

I've seen Cowboys fans saying it's about 'contributions' to the league, but as far as I know Bowlen helped turn around the TV side of things in the 90s when he took over as head of the committee. Partnering with multiple networks and Sunday Night Football don't happen without Pat Bowlen, plain and simple.
    They also both co-owned Arena Football teams, for about the same period of time. Pat Bowlen has one ArenaBowl ring, Jerry Jones has zero.
    Anyone seen Jake Plummer?

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post
      They also both co-owned Arena Football teams, for about the same period of time. Pat Bowlen has one ArenaBowl ring, Jerry Jones has zero.
      He's just a loser all around, and yet....
      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
        He's just a loser all around, and yet....
        I don't think I'd actually call an owner who's teams are 3/3 in SB's "a loser" (you might want to reserve that description for Jimmy Haslam of the Browns ) but to me JJ represents the worst qualities of the owners of professional sports franchises. Egomaniac billionaires who make everything about them instead of the team. It's just as hard for a team to be successful with a prima donna QB as it is a prima donna owner
        "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
        PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
        LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
          I don't think I'd actually call an owner who's teams are 3/3 in SB's "a loser" (you might want to reserve that description for Jimmy Haslam of the Browns ) but to me JJ represents the worst qualities of the owners of professional sports franchises. Egomaniac billionaires who make everything about them instead of the team. It's just as hard for a team to be successful with a prima donna QB as it is a prima donna owner
          Yeah, I'll go with that too.

Comment

He was 3/3 because of the team Jimmy Johnson put together, and the genius trade that Johnson made with the Vikings for Herschel Walker. Johnson got a bunch of players but made the Vikings attach draft pick values to each player in case the players "got injured" and didn't make the team, so the Vikings gave each player a draft pick value (most 1st and 2nd round picks) the Vikings never thought that the Cowboys would just cut most of the players and take the picks instead. That was Jimmy Johnson the visionary.

As soon as Jerry Jones forced him out and took over as GM the Cowboys started their descent.

Comment

Honestly, this may hurt worse than all the great players we've had that were snubbed. And all I keep hearing is the nonsense of "what Jerry did for the game". And that's nonsense because the majority of "what Jerry did for the game", was done almost lock step with Pat! Especially anything to do with the TV revenue, as Pat was the Chair on that committee. Just a bunch of hogwash!

I hope we smash through the league this year. Just about all our staff has a vested, deep relationship with Mr.B. From Ellis & Elway on down the line. I know it's not a bust in Canton, but I hope this adds a bit more fuel to the fire to add another Lombardi to that tremendous trophy case in Dove Valley that is a testament to how great an owner Mr.B has been, not just to the team, but to us fans and the NFL as a whole.
              #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
                Honestly, this may hurt worse than all the great players we've had that were snubbed. And all I keep hearing is the nonsense of "what Jerry did for the game". And that's nonsense because the majority of "what Jerry did for the game", was done almost lock step with Pat! Especially anything to do with the TV revenue, as Pat was the Chair on that committee. Just a bunch of hogwash!

I hope we smash through the league this year. Just about all our staff has a vested, deep relationship with Mr.B. From Ellis & Elway on down the line. I know it's not a bust in Canton, but I hope this adds a bit more fuel to the fire to add another Lombardi to that tremendous trophy case in Dove Valley that is a testament to how great an owner Mr.B has been, not just to the team, but to us fans and the NFL as a whole.
                Great post Floss and beautifully said.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                  He was 3/3 because of the team Jimmy Johnson put together, and the genius trade that Johnson made with the Vikings for Herschel Walker. Johnson got a bunch of players but made the Vikings attach draft pick values to each player in case the players "got injured" and didn't make the team, so the Vikings gave each player a draft pick value (most 1st and 2nd round picks) the Vikings never thought that the Cowboys would just cut most of the players and take the picks instead. That was Jimmy Johnson the visionary.
                  That was a brilliant strategy. Ever since their 70's dominance the Vikings have shown a history of front office blunders (taking Darrin Nelson ahead of Marcus Allen in the '82 draft, etc) so the fact that they agreed to such a ridiculous clause doesn't surprise me in the least
                  "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                  PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                  LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

The Selection Committee is mostly comprised of beat reporters who make less than 1% of the top players they cover. I have a feeling "outside influence" is involved in the decision making process. It really is the only logical reason they have been so terrible for so long.

I hope "Real Sports" investigates this.

Comment

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
                      The Selection Committee is mostly comprised of beat reporters who make less than 1% of the top players they cover. I have a feeling "outside influence" is involved in the decision making process. It really is the only logical reason they have been so terrible for so long.

I hope "Real Sports" investigates this.
                      Well and the fact that 2 of the members were from Dallas.

Comment

I read Bill Parcell's book this Summer. He had a much more difficult relationship with Robert Kraft* than he did with Jerry Jones. I think he liked Jerry and got along with him, but his favorite owner was probably Leon Hess. That was Bill's perspective for what it's worth.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Boy were they a little upset about it during the game last night. Not sure who the announcers were they were saying there has been a lot of backlash, especially against Peter King.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                            Boy were they a little upset about it during the game last night. Not sure who the announcers were they were saying there has been a lot of backlash, especially against Peter King.
                            It was Mike Klis making a big deal about it in the pre-game. He went a little overboard and it seemed to me to be a little self-serving cheerleading.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                              It was Mike Klis making a big deal about it in the pre-game. He went a little overboard and it seemed to me to be a little self-serving cheerleading.
                              I was talking about when they were talking about it during the game. It was whomever was calling the game. Don't think it was Klis.

Comment

Definitely John Lynch was one of the announcers who went off, can't remember the other
                                2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

Working...
                                X