X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChupaThingy
    replied
    Originally posted by ChampPik4Six View Post
    With this news, honest question. Do you think Champ gets snubbed by not being first ballot? I mean, the guy was the premier player at his position for 5-6 years and top 3 at his position for close to a decade. Only Ray Lewis has more Pro Bowls for a defensive player in NFL history, has the same amount of INTs as Dion Sanders but was a much better against the run/tackling.

It just worries me the criteria in which they measure. The only thing I can see them snubbing Champ for is him finishing his career not well for the last 3 years or so. He didnt switch to safety and have a Charles Woodson sendoff.
    As much as I think there's a big market team bias in the HoF, I definitely think the Broncos are on the verge of getting a number of players/contributors into the HoF in the next 5 years. TD and John Lynch have been on the precipice of getting in for the last couple years. Mr. Bowlen seems to be a shoe-in among contributors/owners next year. Then you have Champ coming up in 3 years, and Peyton in 5. Then you have the long shots like Atwater and Gradishar getting senior committee votes. So I would expect to have 5 Broncos put in over the next 5 years, and up to 7 in the next 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• broncoslover115
    replied
    Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
    He played for the Broncos...so there is definitely a question if he makes it first ballot
    I know right?

Leave a comment:

• VenomousDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    Na, Champ is pretty much universally renowned as one of the greatest of all time. Even as a Bronco, no question he's first ballot.
    He played for the Broncos...so there is definitely a question if he makes it first ballot

Leave a comment:

• Freyaka
    replied
    Originally posted by ChampPik4Six View Post
    With this news, honest question. Do you think Champ gets snubbed by not being first ballot? I mean, the guy was the premier player at his position for 5-6 years and top 3 at his position for close to a decade. Only Ray Lewis has more Pro Bowls for a defensive player in NFL history, has the same amount of INTs as Dion Sanders but was a much better against the run/tackling.

It just worries me the criteria in which they measure. The only thing I can see them snubbing Champ for is him finishing his career not well for the last 3 years or so. He didnt switch to safety and have a Charles Woodson sendoff.
    Na, Champ is pretty much universally renowned as one of the greatest of all time. Even as a Bronco, no question he's first ballot.

Leave a comment:

• ChampPik4Six
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    He was 3/3 because of the team Jimmy Johnson put together, and the genius trade that Johnson made with the Vikings for Herschel Walker. Johnson got a bunch of players but made the Vikings attach draft pick values to each player in case the players "got injured" and didn't make the team, so the Vikings gave each player a draft pick value (most 1st and 2nd round picks) the Vikings never thought that the Cowboys would just cut most of the players and take the picks instead. That was Jimmy Johnson the visionary.

As soon as Jerry Jones forced him out and took over as GM the Cowboys started their descent.
    I agree Jimmy Johnson was the engine behind the success of the Cowboys.

That trade is dumb in hindsight but at the time everyone though the Vikings had killed the Cowboys in that trade. I have watched a few shows that have interveiws about that trade and no one but Jimmy saw what was coming.

If Jones was worth a HoF nomination he would have put his ego in check and kept Johnson

Leave a comment:

• conannilsen
    replied
    Definitely John Lynch was one of the announcers who went off, can't remember the other

Leave a comment:

• broncoslover115
    replied
    Originally posted by Rancid View Post
    It was Mike Klis making a big deal about it in the pre-game. He went a little overboard and it seemed to me to be a little self-serving cheerleading.
    I was talking about when they were talking about it during the game. It was whomever was calling the game. Don't think it was Klis.

Leave a comment:

• Rancid
    replied
    Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Boy were they a little upset about it during the game last night. Not sure who the announcers were they were saying there has been a lot of backlash, especially against Peter King.
    It was Mike Klis making a big deal about it in the pre-game. He went a little overboard and it seemed to me to be a little self-serving cheerleading.

Leave a comment:

• broncoslover115
    replied
    Boy were they a little upset about it during the game last night. Not sure who the announcers were they were saying there has been a lot of backlash, especially against Peter King.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    I don't think I'd actually call an owner who's teams are 3/3 in SB's "a loser" (you might want to reserve that description for Jimmy Haslam of the Browns ) but to me JJ represents the worst qualities of the owners of professional sports franchises. Egomaniac billionaires who make everything about them instead of the team. It's just as hard for a team to be successful with a prima donna QB as it is a prima donna owner
    I read Bill Parcell's book this Summer. He had a much more difficult relationship with Robert Kraft* than he did with Jerry Jones. I think he liked Jerry and got along with him, but his favorite owner was probably Leon Hess. That was Bill's perspective for what it's worth.

Leave a comment:

• broncoslover115
    replied
    Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    The Selection Committee is mostly comprised of beat reporters who make less than 1% of the top players they cover. I have a feeling "outside influence" is involved in the decision making process. It really is the only logical reason they have been so terrible for so long.

I hope "Real Sports" investigates this.
    Well and the fact that 2 of the members were from Dallas.

Leave a comment:

• GiddyupGetEm
    replied
    The Selection Committee is mostly comprised of beat reporters who make less than 1% of the top players they cover. I have a feeling "outside influence" is involved in the decision making process. It really is the only logical reason they have been so terrible for so long.

I hope "Real Sports" investigates this.

Leave a comment:

• Dennis.1960
    replied
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    He was 3/3 because of the team Jimmy Johnson put together, and the genius trade that Johnson made with the Vikings for Herschel Walker. Johnson got a bunch of players but made the Vikings attach draft pick values to each player in case the players "got injured" and didn't make the team, so the Vikings gave each player a draft pick value (most 1st and 2nd round picks) the Vikings never thought that the Cowboys would just cut most of the players and take the picks instead. That was Jimmy Johnson the visionary.
    That was a brilliant strategy. Ever since their 70's dominance the Vikings have shown a history of front office blunders (taking Darrin Nelson ahead of Marcus Allen in the '82 draft, etc) so the fact that they agreed to such a ridiculous clause doesn't surprise me in the least

Leave a comment:

• broncoslover115
    replied
    Originally posted by flosstein View Post
    Honestly, this may hurt worse than all the great players we've had that were snubbed. And all I keep hearing is the nonsense of "what Jerry did for the game". And that's nonsense because the majority of "what Jerry did for the game", was done almost lock step with Pat! Especially anything to do with the TV revenue, as Pat was the Chair on that committee. Just a bunch of hogwash!

I hope we smash through the league this year. Just about all our staff has a vested, deep relationship with Mr.B. From Ellis & Elway on down the line. I know it's not a bust in Canton, but I hope this adds a bit more fuel to the fire to add another Lombardi to that tremendous trophy case in Dove Valley that is a testament to how great an owner Mr.B has been, not just to the team, but to us fans and the NFL as a whole.
    Great post Floss and beautifully said.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X