QBs performing well against 49ers in first practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QBs performing well against 49ers in first practice

According to Denver Post, all three quarterbacks are performing exceedingly well. Mark Sanchez had a TD drive with a 38yd pass to Sanders. Siemian had two perfect throws but resulted in drops by Taylor and Kalif Raymond. Paxton Lynch also drove the ball downfield with safe check-downs and scrambles. So all in all, it looks like against a D that isn't top rated like the Broncos, our QBs are going to be okay. Looking forward to seeing who Kubiak chooses.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/17...ce-with-49ers/

The unknown brought clarity and context.

The Broncos’ quarterbacks, going against the San Francisco 49ers in the first of two joint practices Wednesday before their preseason game Saturday night, were tested by defenders who didn’t know their formations, didn’t know their code words, didn’t know their receivers’ routes and didn’t know their strengths and weaknesses.

As Broncos coach Gary Kubiak continues to evaluate the trio of QBs with the hope of sifting out his starter for Saturday and beyond, the new faces on the other side of the ball put the level of play into context.

Simply put: The 49ers don’t have the NFL’s leading defense, which makes them a better gauge for the Broncos’ offense-in-transition.
    Related Articles

August 17, 2016 Colin Kaepernick’s arrival at Broncos HQ, still in a 49ers jersey, brings some “what-ifs?”
    August 17, 2016 Shane Ray taking Von Miller’s, DeMarcus Ware’s advice to heart in 2nd year with Broncos
    August 17, 2016 Mark Sanchez, Trevor Siemian strong in Broncos, 49ers joint practice
    August 17, 2016 Broncos’ welcome 49ers to interception party, more observations from Wednesday’s joint practice
    August 17, 2016 Broncos DE Derek Wolfe leaves practice early with an injury

“I think it’s good for all of us,” quarterback Trevor Siemian said. “It’s a competitive environment. At this point in camp, you’re so used to banging on each other for these last couple of weeks. It’s good to get some fresh faces in here and see what you’ve got.”

Siemian and Mark Sanchez, labeled co-No. 1 quarterbacks on the team’s depth chart, took advantage of the different looks, spraying deep balls in the end zone to the roar of the crowd and operating without an interception between them.

The highlights started early, with Sanchez’s deep pass that fell into the hands of wide receiver Cody Latimer as he sprinted past his defender and into end zone during one-on-one drills. When 32 seconds were put on the clock during a drill, Sanchez connected with Emmanuel Sanders for a 38-yard touchdown.

“I think I’m right where I want to be,” Sanchez said of the ongoing quarterback battle. “I know I’m competing hard. That’s all I can control. I just have to keep working.”

Siemian responded with a perfectly placed throw — arguably the best of the day — to Sanders in tight coverage in the right corner of the end zone. In two-minute drills, Siemian’s dart to Kalif Raymond up the middle was bobbled and dropped, and his subsequent deep ball bounced off the hands of Jordan Taylor.
    Broncos quarterbacks
    Denver Broncos quarterback Mark Sanchez (6) Denver Broncos quarterback Trevor Siemian (13) and Denver Broncos quarterback Paxton Lynch (12) in drills during a joint practice with the San Francisco 49ers Aug. 17, 2016 at Dove Valley.
    John Leyba, The Denver Post

Paxton Lynch, the Broncos rookie who saw extra time in the preseason opener at Chicago, displayed his continued development as he ran through his progressions in team drills and opted for safer checkdowns and scrambles over riskier long throws.

“That’s one thing that I’ve kind of started to learn, just to trust my instincts,” Lynch said. “Like I did in college, if I felt the pocket break down, then I wasn’t hesitant to run and try to make a play that way outside of the pocket. Kubiak doesn’t mind me getting out of the pocket and making a play as long as I keep my eyes up and make a good one. Whenever the pocket breaks down, I just trust my instincts, and if it’s to get out of the pocket, that’s what I do.”

Wednesday’s test was the start of what Kubiak declared a big week for his team as a whole. The added competition is expected to bring transparency to multiple positional battles, none bigger than the quarterbacks.

Kubiak said he would probably decide on a starter Thursday for the upcoming 49ers game. The starter for their season-opening Super Bowl rematch with Carolina on Sept. 8 might be clearer by late Saturday night, after five months of evaluation.

“I thought they did a really good job,” Kubiak said. “It’s good for them to see different stuff, so they were looking at different coverages. I thought Paxton did some really good stuff. Mark made a great play at the end of the two-minute drill. Trevor made a great throw in the two-minute drill, (but) we got to make the play. It’s a good competition. They’re both (Sanchez and Siemian) becoming really good players. It’s a tough, tough decision for us, but that’s a good thing because they’re doing their job.”
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Gonna be fun to watch the deep ball return to our passing attack this year.

Comment

You mean the deep ball that doesn't need a hang-time clock for it ?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
        The pass that could be confused with a wobbly colquitt shank?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
          Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
          The pass that could be confused with a wobbly colquitt shank?

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
            Gonna be fun to watch the deep ball return to our passing attack this year.
            The "deep ball" was certainly available to the Broncos for a period last season when you consider brock osweiler's arm strength. Unfortunately, brock was ineffective throwing the long ball. But he actually did have a 72 yard completion that was his longest of last season.

And interestingly, Peyton Manning's longest completion last season was 3 yards longer, at 75 yards.

I'll believe the "deep ball" is back when I see "deep ball" completions. In any case, it doesn't matter who the QB is, because the long ball is a low percentage pass for ANY team. The days of Daryl Lamonica (nicknamed the "Mad Bomber") are long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
              But he actually did have a 72 yard completion that was his longest of last season.
              66 yards of which were after the catch

Comment

We're not going to have a deep ball game this season unless our schedule was comprised of playing only the 49ers, Bears, and Saints. No Aaron Rodgers on this team, haha. Pretty sure this season will comprise of the run game as the main feature, with safe check downs.
                Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                  classic..... lol!!!!!
                  #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                    We're not going to have a deep ball game this season unless our schedule was comprised of playing only the 49ers, Bears, and Saints. No Aaron Rodgers on this team, haha. Pretty sure this season will comprise of the run game as the main feature, with safe check downs.
                    There will be a deep ball game. You can count on it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                      Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                      There will be a deep ball game. You can count on it.
                      This offense is based on the deep pass. run, run, short pass, run, short pass.....40 yard pass for the TD.

They run it and then take their shots down the field when they have it set up....that is what I am expecting anyway.
                      sigpic

Comment

eh. In my opinion there will be an attempt at a deep ball game. McManus is probably going to be our leading scorer again.

Sanchez and Siemian both show promise, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of incomplete throws this year when playing against huge defensive teams (Chiefs, Bengals, Texans, Pats). But hey - I love being proven wrong, especially if I'm feeling pessimistic.
                        Last edited by TheAsianPA; 08-18-2016, 08:34 PM.
                        Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                          This offense is based on the deep pass. run, run, short pass, run, short pass.....40 yard pass for the TD.

They run it and then take their shots down the field when they have it set up....that is what I am expecting anyway.
                          Yes. I am expecting a lot of deep shots. If teams will play with 8 in the box and challenge the passing game, I believe the QB won't hesitate to throw deep with DT and Sanders on the field. The play-action shots, the bootlegs... I don't expect a short passing game at all. Kubiak had an aggressive, vertical passing game with Matt Schaub. I don't see why he won't do the same with Sanchez or Siemian.

Bombs away.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                            Yes. I am expecting a lot of deep shots. If teams will play with 8 in the box and challenge the passing game, I believe the QB won't hesitate to throw deep with DT and Sanders on the field. The play-action shots, the bootlegs... I don't expect a short passing game at all. Kubiak had an aggressive, vertical passing game with Matt Schaub. I don't see why he won't do the same with Sanchez or Siemian.

Bombs away.
                            Great clip. To be fair, that's Matt Schaub, who is a pretty good QB imo. Matt Schaub had his best years with Kubiak, who really did wonders for the Texans. Will Kubiak be able to replicate that with Sanchez or Siemian? Time will tell. Like I said, I keep my expectations low because I haven't seen anything mind blowing yet from either co-starter.
                            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

That being said I'd love to see Sanchez become the next Rich Gannon, however unlikely.
                              Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Working...
                              X