Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanchez worries he ruined an opportunity by playing like crap

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sanchez worries he ruined an opportunity by playing like crap

    Pro Football Talk
    Posted by Michael David Smith on August 21, 2016, 8:10 AM EDT

    Broncos quarterback Mark Sanchez lost two fumbles in Saturday night’s preseason game against the 49ers, and he worries that those two mistakes could cost him the starting job.

    “It’s difficult playing like crap on two plays and ruining an opportunity. That’s difficult,” Sanchez said after the game.

    Aside from those two fumbles, Sanchez didn’t play badly, completing 10 of 17 passes for 120 yards, with no interceptions.

    “No doubt, I thought I came in, we had a lot of energy, moved the team right down the field, two drives of 70-plus yards and we’re rolling,” Sanchez said. “Going into my eighth year, I know better. I know I’ve got to get the ball out. I know I can play this game, and I know I’m better than I showed [Saturday]. . . . Two really bad plays that took away from a great performance and potentially winning a job, so that’s really too bad.”

    Trevor Siemian, who started at quarterback, didn’t have a great game, completing 10 of 14 passes for 75 yards, with no touchdowns and a pick-six. Siemian’s struggles may be good news for Sanchez, but it’s a bad sign for the Broncos that no one is emerging as the clear starter in Denver.

  • #2
    Two fumbles in four plays... yeah, that about sums it up.

    On one play or RT was blown up in coverage and the rusher made the play but Sanchez didn't help himself. He did look well when he, well, looked well. Then Mr. Hyde came out and he coughed up the ball or made bad decisions to throw and got lucky.

    An 8-year vet should know better.

    Siemian has an excuse, he's young and needs to learn to read coverage better and release the ball faster. Also, to put bad plays behind.

    Lynch might get more time with the 1s to let Kubiak evaluate him more. This will be interesting to watch.

    Comment


    • #3
      I just got a chance to watch the game. For the most part he played well until those 2 plays.

      I keep pulling for him cause you can see how much he wants this and how hard he tries. But damn, he's got to stop the turnovers.
      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

      Comment


      • #4
        Pretty much par for the course for Sanchez. I wonder if the "people can change" group watched him fumble twice inside enemy territory and lose two scoring opps. He also had about 3 balls that should have been picked.


        He is who he is. It's not going to change
        sigpic

        Hooray, beer!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
          Pretty much par for the course for Sanchez. I wonder if the "people can change" group watched him fumble twice inside enemy territory and lose two scoring opps. He also had about 3 balls that should have been picked.


          He is who he is. It's not going to change
          People can change...Jake Plummer is an example of that. The problem is Sanchez isn't turning that corner yet and he doesn't have time to make that transition from who he is, to who he's capable of if he cuts down the turnovers.

          He basically needed to show he was capable of changing by cutting down the turnovers in the preseason, he hasn't done that. At this point, go with the best QB and through two games that's been Lynch. The other two have started a game, let him start game 3 (for at least a quarter or more) and see how he rolls with the 1's. If he looks good, start him week one, if not, roll with Trevor.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            It is Sanchez's opportunity to lose - and he might. But let's give the QB whisperer a chance to decide who will start and then really work with him.

            Though, to be fair, guys that Kubiak that had a reboot of their career, like Schaub, they were the clear starters if I remember correctly, already established on their teams. Sanchez is a recently acquired FA who brought lots of baggage with him and only because there weren't better options at the time. It was clear from before day one he'd be fighting for a spot (favored) with a second year player from day one. That's not the best way to come in to a new team.
            Last edited by Rastic; 08-21-2016, 09:01 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              My thought is, if Lynch can play as well as he did with the 3's and 4's, he has to be a lot better with the 1's.

              Put the rookie in.
              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
              You Mad Bro?
              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

              Comment


              • #8
                Sanchez seems so enthusiastic and I wanted him to succeed, but after a stretch of good play he just seems to break down. I don't know what he was doing on that fumble but it almost looked like he was trying to toss it to the SF player.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                  Sanchez seems so enthusiastic and I wanted him to succeed, but after a stretch of good play he just seems to break down. I don't know what he was doing on that fumble but it almost looked like he was trying to toss it to the SF player.
                  You are not alone in that assessment. I'm a USC fan and have watched Sanchez since his college days. When he hit the League he looks, feels and sounds the part in press conferences. He works hard and is likable. Even on the field he looks good for stretches then WHAM! the bottom falls out and he makes a bad mistake or simply turns the ball over.

                  He has had the same story with the Jets and Eagles. Everyone "wants" him to be successful then he disappoints. His turnover stats are not anomalies or twisted stats. They show a significant pattern of turning the ball over. That is why i have not been surprised by the last two games.

                  Sanchez is who he is. That is why he is on a journeyman's contract and was available for a late pick. And why his reputation has analysts and fans throughout the county give the Broncos little chance with Sanchez as the starter. It is only in Denver that the hope for a changed man till remains. Sanchez is a nice guy, just not a viable starting QB.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sanchez is who he is. We all knew this and everyone in Dove Valley knew this going into this season. It's fun to hope and wish for a turn around, but what you see is what you get. He has more turnovers than any other QB across his 8 years. And it's not even the bone headed ints that make it so bad, it's the fumbles! The fumbles are just sooooo bad!!!
                    #swapping

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                      People can change...Jake Plummer is an example of that. The problem is Sanchez isn't turning that corner yet and he doesn't have time to make that transition from who he is, to who he's capable of if he cuts down the turnovers.

                      He basically needed to show he was capable of changing by cutting down the turnovers in the preseason, he hasn't done that. At this point, go with the best QB and through two games that's been Lynch. The other two have started a game, let him start game 3 (for at least a quarter or more) and see how he rolls with the 1's. If he looks good, start him week one, if not, roll with Trevor.
                      I agree! Lets see what the kid can do. If he looks bad go with Trevor.
                      sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
                      Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
                      PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Neither Sanchez nor Siemian seized the position. Siemian's reaction to his interception troubles me. Starting a very raw rookie with a less than impressive offensive line does not inspire confidence.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Sanchez self sack, call up Peyton for some training

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                            It is Sanchez's opportunity to lose - and he might. But let's give the QB whisperer a chance to decide who will start and then really work with him.

                            Though, to be fair, guys that Kubiak that had a reboot of their career, like Schaub, they were the clear starters if I remember correctly, already established on their teams. Sanchez is a recently acquired FA who brought lots of baggage with him and only because there weren't better options at the time. It was clear from before day one he'd be fighting for a spot (favored) with a second year player from day one. That's not the best way to come in to a new team.
                            Actually if I remember correctly, Schaub was the back up for Atlanta and had played in some games in the previous years due to injury to Vick when Houston then acquired him and made him their starter. Sanchez was the same with Philly although he was starter with Jets. Unfortunately, Sanchez's down fall has been his propensity for shooting himself in the foot with neg plays and turnovers. Much the same as Schaubs at the end.


                            I have a lot of faith in Kubiak and am hoping for the best. But, realistically I feel as though sometimes you just can't change the nature of the beast. Some things you just can not control when dealing with another human being.

                            I am obviously going to continue to hope for the best, and if anyone can do it, Kubes can. Time will tell. Its only the 2nd preseason game so we do still have some time.
                            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RobertR View Post
                              Neither Sanchez nor Siemian seized the position. Siemian's reaction to his interception troubles me. Starting a very raw rookie with a less than impressive offensive line does not inspire confidence.
                              You were troubled by an incomplete pass after a long injury timeout and a dropped pass?
                              sigpic

                              Defense wins championships

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X