Broncos ask Britton Colquitt to take pay cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos ask Britton Colquitt to take pay cut

Another year, another request to revise his contract.

As first reported by Altitude Sports’ Vic Lombardi, Britton Colquitt, the Broncos’ veteran punter who was once the highest-paid player at his position, has been asked by the team to take a significant cut off his $3.25 million salary for 2016.

They asked because they have the leverage. The Broncos drafted Riley Dixon in the seventh round this year, giving them a younger and cheaper alternative, to the tune of four years and $2.42 million, with approximately $530,000 due this season.

The Broncos decided to have Dixon take all eight of their punts Saturday against the Rams, and handle all holding duties. He averaged 44.9 yards per punt, with one touchback and one inside the 20-yard line.

“It really gets back to the same thing, when you have a veteran guy who’s been doing it for you, you know what they bring to the table and what they do,” coach Gary Kubiak said Saturday night. “When you have a young kid that’s competing with them, you never know how far they’ve come until you give them a chance. You can ask me about the quarterback, it’s the same thing with Riley. We wanted to watch him hold, we wanted to watch him punt. We have some tough decisions to make and we’re trying to help ourselves make those decisions with how they play.”

The decision, however, may be mostly financial. Colquitt, the longest-tenured Broncos on the roster, signed a three-year, $11.7 million extension in 2013 that made him the highest-paid punter in the NFL with an average salary of $3.9 million.

In August 2015, Colquitt accepted a $1.4 million reduction in salary for that year only. His salary for 2016, the final year on the deal, was to stay at $3.25 million.

The Broncos must trim their roster from 90 to 75 players by Tuesday and reach the final 53-man group by Saturday. Should Colquitt not accept the latest request — it seems unlikely that he would — the Broncos could cut him and have only $750,000 in dead money. They could also look trade him and not have any of his remaining salary count against the cap.
    http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/28...unter-pay-cut/

Going to be interesting to see if he accepts another pay cut. Report says " it seems unlikely he would". Wonder how low they want him to go this time.

This is why all the "greedy players" try to get the most they can get in free agency. The realities of pro football are brutal.

Comment

Troy Renck wrote that Elway wants Colquitt to take a cut all the way down to R$ 1.6 million (slash his salary in half). I believe Colquitt can get at least $2 million from another team, so I won't be surprised if he refuses to take the pay cut.
      sigpic

Comment

He is overpaid for a punter ... I bet he cannot get anywhere near 3.25M as a FA, maybe 2M. The difference between him and Dixon, at this point looks slight if anything - Colquitt has been up and down the last couple of years - Dixon did a good job last night. For a pay cut to really make a real difference I think it would have to be at least half ... Dixon's cap # is actually $470,002 if cut his dead money is 80K his average salary is 605K.
        Even with a 50% pay cut, is Colquitt worth something in the neighborhood of 2M compared with 470K is he worth it? Nope, Dixon is good enough.
        sigpic

Comment

Punter, ST and K all are more important TD year with our O & D situations - that said if thy can save a few million, that provides some flexibility - maybe sign Knighton
          Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
            Troy Renck wrote that Elway wants Colquitt to take a cut all the way down to R$ 1.6 million (slash his salary in half). I believe Colquitt can get at least $2 million from another team, so I won't be surprised if he refuses to take the pay cut.
            IMO, I hope Colquitt doesn't accept.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pruke View Post
              Punter, ST and K all are more important TD year with our O & D situations - that said if thy can save a few million, that provides some flexibility - maybe sign Knighton
              Or rather gives some funds for Sanders contract

Actually it looks like Colquitt would be a savings of 3.25M off the cap and add Sanchez; a 3.5M savings on the cap is 6.75M in cap savings
              Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 08-28-2016, 01:53 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Broncos are shopping Colquitt:

http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denv...uitt/309805757

KUSA—Britton Colquitt is on the trading block.

The Denver Broncos have called teams inquiring if they’d be interested in acquiring their veteran punter, who has one year and $3.25 million left on his contract.

Among the teams who could be interested in Colquitt are the Minnesota Vikings, Arizona Cardinals, Carolina Panthers and Chicago Bears.

The Broncos were hoping to save money at the position this year when they selected Riley Dixon out of Syracuse in the seventh round of the NFL Draft in late-April. To see if Dixon could handle the pressures of the NFL, the Broncos had him take every punt and placekick hold in the team’s 17-9 preseason win Saturday night against the Los Angeles Rams.

Dixon acquitted himself well, averaging 44.9 yards on eight punts and Brandon McManus made all three of his placekicks, including a 50-yard field goal.

Dixon is scheduled to make $530,008 in signing bonus and salary this year. After the game, Colquitt understood its possible he may have made his last punt with the Broncos, although he remained hopeful something could be worked out.

“We’ll see what God has planned,” Colquitt said. “God’s got me this far so I’m putting everything in his hands and we don’t have control over anything, anyway.’’

After Colquitt put together terrific back-to-back seasons in 2011-12, he received a three-year extension at an annual average of $3.9 million that in “new money” made him the NFL’s highest-paid punter.

But before year two of that extension the Broncos and Colquitt agreed to a pay cut. The team has again offered Colquitt a pay cut this year similar to the 50 percent reduction to $1.6 million he accepted last year.

Although Colquitt ranked 21st last year with a 39.7 yard net average, he found his rhythm in the playoffs, when he had an NFL-most 23 punts for a 42.7 yard average that was the best among those who made at least eight punts. He also had 9 punts land inside the 20 against just one touchback.

Copyright 2016 KUSA
                So it looks like we will roll with the rookie punter.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                  Broncos are shopping Colquitt:

http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denv...uitt/309805757

So it looks like we will roll with the rookie punter.
                  Yeah, I highly doubt we get anything in return for Colquitt. Most likely scenario is just releasing him.
                  A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                    Or rather gives some funds for Sanders contract

Actually it looks like Colquitt would be a savings of 3.25M off the cap and add Sanchez; a 3.5M savings on the cap is 6.75M in cap savings
                    Ding ding - we have a winner
                    Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

It's a rather interesting late in camp story - how much do we need punts in the 20, how confident are we in our D, how much do we want Sanders going forward - good fun

Comment

In addition to punting, I think they wanted to see how well McManus would do with Dixon holding. Colquitt might take a pay cut or we'll roll with the rookie. Wonder if Elway wants to press for the contract with Sanders.

Comment

No surprises here. I think most people saw the eventuality of moving on from Colquitt. If we have to take our lumps, now is as good a time as any.

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                            IMO, I hope Colquitt doesn't accept.
                            I will agree with your sentiment, I was also not so impressed with him throughout the year last year. But I will say when we punted that final time vs. Carolina in the SB and they sent the house, I was glad we had a very experienced punter back there in that circumstance
                            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

And,this is why I have no problem with a player trying to get his money,because teams can ask a player to take a player to take a paycut in the middle of a contract,but expect players to honer theirs.....
                              I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

Working...
                              X