Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's one heck of a pay cut...

Comment

Just read that Demaryius Thomas is now the longest tenured Bronco (2010) on the roster. Colquitt had been a Bronco since 2009.

Comment

I just hope his salary is enough to extend sanders.

Comment

Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
          I just hope his salary is enough to extend sanders.
          That's why now I am wondering if they plan to cut Sanchez for the extra money for Sanders, would make sense I guess.:thumb:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
            Something to also consider imo, as we are establishing a new offense with a new inexperienced qb and new line group. The Punting position may end up being very important to us and our defense, especially in the beginning of the year.
            I expect to see some special teams gaffes this year. Everyone has a grand ol time calling Colquitt terrible but you could always count on him to get the ball away and not fumble or get blocked.

Rooting for Dixon, but this was a mistake. Colquitt isn't an all-pro punter but he loved playing for the Broncos and he had thoughts/dreams of retiring here. Those things combined with solid *mostly* mistake-free play and experience were well worth the 1 million.

As he explained on the Afternoon Drive, it wasn't about the cut as much as the guarantee - or lack thereof. Set to make $3.25 million this year - after taking a trim to his contract last year to $1.6 million - Colquitt was offered $1.3 million per year for three years, with only the first year guaranteed. And it was only guaranteed if he made opening day roster. So, if Riley Dixon ended up making the final roster, Colquitt would be out and possibly too late to find a job with another team.

"After talking to John, it just couldn't have worked," Colquitt said. "I'm not mad. I don't want to say I'm pissed off, but I'm hurt. Not because of what anybody did. But because we love being here."

Highlighting is mine, it sounds like the Broncos were already setting themselves up to cut him, regardless.

I would also like to say that I'm tired of hearing Elway saying "we want players that want to be here" because it's a lie. He should amend it to "we want players than we think are worthy of playing here and want to do it for pennies on the dollar". I love me some John, but I can't be the only one noticing the increased instances of him talking out of both sides of his mouth...

This could end up hurting us worse than the QB position.
            Last edited by CoryWinget81; 08-31-2016, 05:58 AM.
            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
              I expect to see some special teams gaffes this year. Everyone has a grand ol time calling Colquitt terrible but you could always count on him to get the ball away and not fumble or get blocked.

Rooting for Dixon, but this was a mistake. Colquitt isn't an all-pro punter but he loved playing for the Broncos and he had thoughts/dreams of retiring here. Those things combined with solid *mostly* mistake-free play and experience were well worth the 1 million.

As he explained on the Afternoon Drive, it wasn't about the cut as much as the guarantee - or lack thereof. Set to make $3.25 million this year - after taking a trim to his contract last year to $1.6 million - Colquitt was offered $1.3 million per year for three years, with only the first year guaranteed. And it was only guaranteed if he made opening day roster. So, if Riley Dixon ended up making the final roster, Colquitt would be out and possibly too late to find a job with another team.

"After talking to John, it just couldn't have worked," Colquitt said. "I'm not mad. I don't want to say I'm pissed off, but I'm hurt. Not because of what anybody did. But because we love being here."

Highlighting is mine, it sounds like the Broncos were already setting themselves up to cut him, regardless.

I would also like to say that I'm tired of hearing Elway saying "we want players that want to be here" because it's a lie. He should amend it to "we want players than we think are worthy of playing here and want to do it for pennies on the dollar". I love me some John, but I can't be the only one noticing the increased instances of him talking out of both sides of his mouth...

This could end up hurting us worse than the QB position.
              Looking at it that way it does have a sting to it. The guaranteed money in the new offer to Colquitt, if I remember correctly, was zero.

For a vet that was a good part of the SB winning team - I.e., playing when it counted, that was not a good offer.

But then, as punters go, Colquitt has been over payed for a while.

It's too bad both sides couldn't meet in the middle and then sit down to talk about that.

But as far as Elway saying "we want players that want to be here," it isn't an outright lie. There are 25 guy recently / soon to be cut that want to be here. That statement has always included caveats relative to performance and the bottom line. As a GM, that is just the harsh reality.

Ironically, Colquitt's situation isn't that much different that Miller's. Yes, their overall value to the team is obviously what seperates them, but Miller's 2015 season was ho-hum and then he killed it in the post season, similar to Colquitt. Colquitt just didn't have any leverage like Miller did to hang on.
              Last edited by Rastic; 08-31-2016, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                Looking at it that way it does have a sting to it. The guaranteed money in the new offer to Colquitt, if I remember correctly, was zero.

For a vet that was a good part of the SB winning team - I.e., playing when it counted, that was not a good offer.

But then, as punters go, Colquitt has been over payed for a while.

It's too bad both sides couldn't meet in the middle and then sit down to talk about that.

But as far as Elway saying "we want players that want to be here," it isn't an outright lie. There are 25 guy recently / soon to be cut that want to be here. That statement has always included caveats relative to performance and the bottom line. As a GM, that is just the harsh reality.

Ironically, Colquitt's situation isn't that much different that Miller's. Yes, their overall value to the team is obviously what seperates them, but Miller's 2015 season was ho-hum and then he killed it in the post season, similar to Colquitt. Colquitt just didn't have any leverage like Miller did to hang on.
                Not sure there was anything to talk or compromise about.

Elway offered a non guaranteed vet minimum and Colquitt declined it. Broncos released him. There was no negotiation involved.

NFL is a brutal business. Here is a great example of how a player can do everything right and be ingrained into the organization and still get the shaft.

Wish Colquitt luck. And that Dixon can live up to the expectations Bronco fans have become accustomed.

Comment

Working...
                X