Broncos release veteran punter Britton Colquitt, paving way for Riley Dixon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos release veteran punter Britton Colquitt, paving way for Riley Dixon

After parting ways with eighth-year veteran Britton Colquitt, the Broncos have shown full confidence in rookie Riley Dixon.

Ben Swanson
    Associate Editor, DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. —In the Broncos’ first round of roster moves to pare the roster to 75 players, the team released veteran punter Britton Colquitt Tuesday, heralding an answer to one of the most competitive position battles through training camp and preseason.
    Eight-year veteran Britton Colquitt sat out Saturday’s game, as the Broncos’ coaching staff opted to take a longer look at rookie Riley Dixon. With Dixon receiving all the snaps, the coaches were able to get a larger sample of what he could bring to the table.

“When you have a veteran guy who’s been doing it for you, you know what they bring to the table and what they do,” Head Coach Gary Kubiak said after the game. “When you have a young kid that’s competing with them, you never know how far they’ve come until you give them a chance. You can ask me about the quarterback, it’s the same thing with Riley. We wanted to watch him hold, we wanted to watch him punt. We have some tough decisions to make and we’re trying to help ourselves make those decisions with how they play.”

Dixon averaged a net punting distance of 40.9 yards against the Rams, including one punt downed inside the opponent’s red zone, two fair catches, one touchback and five punts returned for 12 yards. The night brought Dixon’s comprehensive preseason statistics to a net average distance of 41.2 yards, four punts inside the 20-yard line and one touchback.

The touchback had taken a bad bounce at the 10-yard line and caromed into the end zone, and was not how Dixon intended to hit the ball, he said after the game.

“That’s a mis-hit on my part,” he said. “That’s supposed to be an end-over-end ball, [but it] came out a little straight. I’ve got some things to work on. … [I’m] just gonna go back to work this week, and hopefully I’m here for next week.”

Now that he knows his future, Dixon is focused on improving the finer points of his game: “flop punts, end-over-end, plus territories — definitely got to work on those and just building consistency every week will be the goal for the rest of my life.”

DenverBroncos.Com
    Welcome to the club! :thumb:

To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Saw this one coming. The Broncos asked him to take a pay cut and evidently he declined.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 80stheman View Post
        Saw this one coming. The Broncos asked him to take a pay cut and evidently he declined.
        They wanted him to essentially take the vets min. They wanted him to decline

Only in the NFL does a guy getting the equivalent of $25 an hour get asked to take min wage and it is spun as he declined when he refuses.

This is a cut throat business. This is just another example of why I will never begrudge a player for grinding a team for the most they can in the rare cases they have the ability to do so.

Wish him luck. Now its on to the rookie.

Comment

He would of accepted a $1 Million cut, but they offered the pay cut and a three-year extension that in average salary would have placed him at or near the bottom of veteran punters. There were also essentially zero guaranteed dollars in the extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos_man23 View Post
            There were also essentially zero guaranteed dollars in the extension.
            Which indicates Elway didn't want him to take the deal in the first place, otherwise he would have offered some incentive based compensation. Oh well...he made some clutch punts for us in the postseason and earned a SB 50 ring...next man up
            "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
            PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
            LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Thank you Britton, and good luck.
              2014/2015 Adopt-A-Bronco : TJ Ward - GO DUCKS!

Comment

They should have just cut him straight up instead of offering that slap in the face restructure deal.

Comment

And finally the most important position battle has concluded

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                    And finally the most important position battle has concluded

Yup, they punted him for younger and cheaper!
                    sigpic

Comment

All I can say is WoW! Never saw this coming. Glad I was sitting down when I read the news.
                      sigpic

Comment

I was really frustrated with Colquitt during the season last year but he erased all of that in the playoffs. What a great showing. He'll have no problem finding a team that happily pay for his services. Why wont Denver? Probably can thank Von Miller for that - and his agent. If there was no cap I'm sure the Broncos would keep all the best players. Bowlen has shown over and over that it's not a matter of $$$.

Last edited by dizzolve; 08-30-2016, 08:34 PM.
                        The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

So is he going to be our #3QB if Sanchez gets released?
                          Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Riley Dixon
                            No. 9 Denver Broncos
                            Position: Punter
                            Personal information
                            Date of birth: August 24, 1993 (age 23)
                            Place of birth: Oneida, New York
                            Height: 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)
                            Weight: 221 lb (100 kg)
                            Career information
                            High school: Christian Brothers Academy (Syracuse, New York)
                            College: Syracuse
                            NFL draft: 2016 / Round: 7 / Pick: 228
                            Career history

Denver Broncos (2016–present)

Roster status: Active

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riley_Dixon

He made a TD throw on that 'roll out' to his left in that video. He'd be a better option at QB than Kap.
                            Last edited by listopencil; 08-31-2016, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Colin Kaepernick
                              No. 7 San Francisco 49ers
                              Position: Quarterback
                              Personal information
                              Date of birth: November 3, 1987 (age 28)
                              Place of birth: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
                              Height: 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)
                              Weight: 230 lb (104 kg)
                              Career information
                              High school: Turlock (CA) Pitman
                              College: Nevada
                              NFL draft: 2011 / Round: 2 / Pick: 36
                              Career history

San Francisco 49ers (2011–present)

Roster status: Active

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Kaepernick