Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Von Miller called Elway when negotiations stalled to 'take the business out of it'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Von Miller called Elway when negotiations stalled to 'take the business out of it'

Von Miller's contract stalemate with the Denver Broncos lasted 136 days. The Broncos franchise tagged him on March 1, then went right down to the wire in his negotiations on a long-term deal, signing him to a six-year, $114.5 million contract on the July 15 deadline.

The talks had a whole lot of ups and downs, with both sides calling each other out in public and (presumably) in private. How did this get done in the end? According to Miller, he placed a phone call to Broncos GM John Elway to help clear the air and get things started.

"I called Mr. Elway. I wanted to put it back on a human standpoint. I wanted to take the business out of it," Miller said during an interview with "60 Minutes Sports."

"I felt like the leakage of the contract and some of the other stuff that we were doing -- that they were doing in the contract negotiation, it really just didn't have to happen, especially with a guy like me. I'm not even talking about the type of player I am, but the type of person I am. So I felt like some of the stuff that was done, it just didn't have to be done. But they have their own tactics and we just won a Super Bowl so I guess this stuff works."

There's obviously going to be more to that conversation on "60 Minutes," but Miller, even with his long-term deal, doesn't necessarily seem thrilled with the way negotiations played out. The Broncos probably care more about the fact that he's locked up long-term than that he's not necessarily wild about the process it took to get him there, though.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vo...inkId=28311748

Definitely want to watch this and get some insight on how things happen from Von's point of view.

What would be interesting to know as a life long Bronco fan how many of the "tactics" Von percieved were intentional Elway tactics and how many were bona fide "leaks".

We will probably never get a honest answer.

I do think all negotiations should stay a secret until the deal is done personally but stand with the Broncos ...win lose or tie.

Keeping negotiations a secret is best for all involved....except maybe other teams, agents and players trying to use the numbers as leverage....and media of course trying to get views
    Last edited by Hadez; 09-02-2016, 06:46 AM.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Von sounds just a little bit naive. There's no such thing as "taking the business out of it." If that were the case Von wouldn't have demanded so much guaranteed money. Each side was trying to get the best deal possible, and that's how it is.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
        Von sounds just a little bit naive. There's no such thing as "taking the business out of it." If that were the case Von wouldn't have demanded so much guaranteed money. Each side was trying to get the best deal possible, and that's how it is.
        Not sure he is being naive. Just surprised how the negotiations were handled from the Broncos point of view.

IMO it is a fair question and assessment when he states " it didn't have to be done that way".

And he had to ask for the guaranteed money and deadlines to protect himself. As we have just watched with Colquitt the player has to protect themselves. The business side can come back to haunt them if they don't. The organization certainly is going to use every loophole and strategy if it is not guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
          Not sure he is being naive. Just surprised how the negotiations were handled from the Broncos point of view.

IMO it is a fair question and assessment when he states " it didn't have to be done that way".
          Being naive isn't necessarily an overly awful adjective to use about someone in certain cases. What you described seems a bit naive to me as well.

Comment

We just won a Superbowl so I guess this stuff works...Elway is the Man!
            [sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
              Definitely want to watch this and get some insight on how things happen from Von's point of view.

What would be interesting to know as a life long Bronco fan how many of the "tactics" Von percieved were intentional Elway tactics and how many were bona fide "leaks".

We will probably never get a honest answer.

I do think all negotiations should stay a secret until the deal is done personally but stand with the Broncos ...win lose or tie.

Keeping negotiations a secret is best for all involved....except maybe other teams, agents and players trying to use the numbers as leverage....and media of course trying to get views
              That's exactly why I will not bother watching any of these "soaps". Negotiations sometimes take their own course and most likely neither side is the villain or angel. Miller should be ecstatic that he received a very lucrative deal and made him the highest paid player at his position.
              sigpic

Comment

And he had to ask for the guaranteed money and deadlines to protect himself. As we have just watched with Colquitt the player has to protect themselves. The business side can come back to haunt them if they don't. The organization certainly is going to use every loophole and strategy if it is not guaranteed.
                How many of us "regular people" get guaranteed money/contracts? Just my opinion, but I don't think they should get anything "guaranteed" other than for injury or whatever they got at signing. There is no "guarantee" that the players performance will continue to be what it was when a contract was done. Many players play their best in "contract years" ... hmmm. :2cents:
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                  How many of us "regular people" get guaranteed money/contracts? Just my opinion, but I don't think they should get anything "guaranteed" other than for injury or whatever they got at signing. There is no "guarantee" that the players performance will continue to be what it was when a contract was done. Many players play their best in "contract years" ... hmmm. :2cents:
                  Interesting viewpoint. Not really relevant until the NFL goes to a system of non-guaranteed contracts you are proposing.

NFL contracts are already far different then other sports. MLB and NBA for example. Those are fully guaranteed contracts. Unlike the NFL where the huge numbers discussed mean nothing unless they are guaranteed. With the last years being basically talking points with no expectation of getting paid by either side. From a team or fan perspective I get what you are saying. From a player point of view I am not going to criticize a player for attempting to get paid in a gladiator sport that careers can end on every play.

When you discuss "normal people" are you considering the "guaranteed" contracts of heavily unionized industries or Golden Parachute execs that get paid (at times including raises) even when job performances are declining? It could be argued that heavily government subsidized industries like farming, banking, solar production or research grants are "guaranteed" payment for the non sports world. Those are just off the top of my head. others can likely state more and better examples.

"Regular people" do get paid. Miller and other players have a right to get as much as they can. And be a bit upset when negotiations go badly when the team uses the media to promote an agenda. .

Comment

Interesting viewpoint. Not really relevant until the NFL goes to a system of non-guaranteed contracts you are proposing.

NFL contracts are already far different then other sports. MLB and NBA for example. Those are fully guaranteed contracts. Unlike the NFL where the huge numbers discussed mean nothing unless they are guaranteed. With the last years being basically talking points with no expectation of getting paid by either side. From a team or fan perspective I get what you are saying. From a player point of view I am not going to criticize a player for attempting to get paid in a gladiator sport that careers can end on every play.

When you discuss "normal people" are you considering the "guaranteed" contracts of heavily unionized industries or Golden Parachute execs that get paid (at times including raises) even when job performances are declining? It could be argued that heavily government subsidized industries like farming, banking, solar production or research grants are "guaranteed" payment for the non sports world. Those are just off the top of my head. others can likely state more and better examples.

"Regular people" do get paid. Miller and other players have a right to get as much as they can. And be a bit upset when negotiations go badly when the team uses the media to promote an agenda. .
                    I'm not proposing anything, just giving my opinion. The NFL/players aren't going to go BACK to non-guaranteed contracts, (the NFL is relatively new to guaranteed contracts) the market has now dictated that players can get guarantees in the NFL ... with Colquitt the market said he wasn't worth what he was getting (he only got 1.65M with the ... Browns) ... IMO, no kicker is. And Colquitt had guaranteed money on his original contract anyway; he did alright ... for a kicker.

I not sure where it is that I am criticizing a player? I think a player should attempt to get the best deal he can. The negotiations with Miller and the Broncos are done but apparently he is still wanting to talk about the process as if it is wrong ... I think it is just how it plays out. I said the guarantees should be for injury - to "protect" them - they can and do get signing bonuses too.

The vast majority ("regular people") of us get employment "at will", generally the employment relationship can be terminated "at will" by either party, in most cases there is no money paid past what was earned/worked. There are some exceptions to that rule but most of us here in the USA work at will. In the private sector today only about 7% of employers are unionized and that doesn't mean they have "guaranteed money". The vast majority of us don't get "golden parachutes".

I'm not criticizing that they get paid what they get paid or get some guarantees but, as I have stated most of us don't so they're are not being treated bad if they don't get guarantees... including a kicker like Colquitt.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X