X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Drive That Never Ends

09/07/16 | ESPN THE MAGAZINE
    BY SETH WICKERSHAM

John Elway earned fame as a quarterback, fortune as a businessman and respect as a general manager. But he will never be satisfied. Not when the very idea of a comfortable life feels like death.

Imagine John Elway dead.

Elway has. He's envisioned it, wondered about it. He's in his office on a June day in the midst of a nasty and personal contract dispute with the reigning Super Bowl MVP. He has replaced a future Hall of Fame quarterback with the author of the Butt Fumble and two guys who've never played, and he's thinking repeat. His right knee hurts; getting out of bed is harder than it was even two years ago. He has written himself two storybook endings, both as a quarterback and a general manager, and he could walk away with his legacy secure and spend the rest of his life jetting to golf courses. But the very idea of a comfortable life feels like death. Elway knows he will be a geezer one day, his body surrendering to life the way it surrendered to football, but the biological imperative, the compulsion to win, will still be there, trapped in an irreversible senescence. It's his fate. And so he leans in over his desk, unveiling that familiar grin, and utters maybe the most Elway thing ever: "I've always thought I was going to die ... with a shovel; in case I woke up, I could dig my way out."

His eyes widen. "It's never over over until it's over."
    Full article:
    http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...rive-never-end

You're in for a treat, enjoy!
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

An article with multiple points showing why John Fox was overrated.
    sigpic

Comment

That was a great read.

Comment

Powerful stuff, truly blessed to have seen him from Stanford to now, and hopefully for many, many years to come.
        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Thx for posting bud! Really good article!!

Makes me like the guy even more......if that's possible.

:thumb:

Comment

Great insight. Interesting to hear Fox say, "isn't winning the division enough?" No wonder he's a goner.
            Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
              Great insight. Interesting to hear Fox say, "isn't winning the division enough?" No wonder he's a goner.
              Passion and ambition do not make a great coach but you'll never find a good one without them.

Fox is a good coach but not one I would call great.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                Thx for posting bud! Really good article!!

Makes me like the guy even more......if that's possible.

:thumb:
                The article definitely helped reaffirm some of the issues many fans weren't quite happy with at the time but also, and perhaps more importantly, it sheds some light on John as a person. I thought it was a fascinating read and like you said, it's kind of hard not to like the guy even more.

All in all, we're damn lucky to have this guy running the show!
                Adopted Poster
                AZ Snake Fan

Comment

This is an award worthy piece. Yes, it is insightful as a Bronco fan. I like all the nuggets of team insider info.

But how many writers get to open up with a legend about life and death as an athlete and competitor? A perspective of sports no one ever sees.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
                    The article definitely helped reaffirm some of the issues many fans weren't quite happy with at the time but also, and perhaps more importantly, it sheds some light on John as a person. I thought it was a fascinating read and like you said, it's kind of hard not to like the guy even more.

All in all, we're damn lucky to have this guy running the show!
                    Again, glad you posted it!:thumb:

Comment

For all the great moves we love, the good moves we like, and the questionable moves we squabble over, I have to ask..........is there anyone "more better" at running our Denver Broncos? There's nothing like having Elway back in the building, QB'ing the organization to the level of dominance that we cherished when he was QB'ing the field.
                      #swapping

Comment

I might just have to revive on old thread......about what Elway did right lately. He's always doing something right!!

FTR....it saddened me thinking about the love he has for his sister.

Comment

Awesome article. Thanks so much for posting. CP to you BroncosDivision, because I never would have found/read this otherwise.

What a unique take on a bio-article. Love the insights into Fox and Manning. Amazing the kind of drive John Elway has. I'm just glad he's on our side!

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                            Passion and ambition do not make a great coach but you'll never find a good one without them.

Fox is a good coach but not one I would call great.
                            Absolutely. CP to you when I'm near a computer.

Comment

Great article. Elway is an incredibly driven man. I'm very glad he's in charge of the team. Everything you needed to know about Fox is summarized in his question about winning the division being good enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X