Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFF - How Broncos QB Trevor Siemian played in first NFL start

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro...game-analysis/

Couple video examples in the article I did not put here. You can see them at PFF

How Broncos QB Trevor Siemian played in first NFL start

Sam Monson
    18 hours ago

Trevor Siemian didn’t look like an All-Pro in his first start against Carolina, but he was more than passable, and that makes the Denver Broncos Super Bowl contenders once again, given the talent surrounding him.

The Broncos showed a year ago that they didn’t need All-Pro QB play to win a Super Bowl with this roster—they can get it done with average (at best) performances from their signal caller. When the team was looking for a new starter for 2016, the three-way QB competition wasn’t about which QB had the most upside, or who could put up 40 points in a game; instead, it was about which had the most poise down-to-down, and was the least likely to make a key mistake. They judged that to be Siemian, and on the basis of last night, they seem to be correct.

Siemian’s first NFL pass was a nice example of the kind of basic, quick thinking and calm decision-making with the ball that viable pro QBs need. It’s not often that you get anything significant out of a throw on a receiver screen, but on this occasion Denver did nothing to block the play-side DE, and he was standing right in the throwing lane when Siemian wanted to release the ball. Rather than try and loft it over him, taking the chance he wouldn’t make the play, or simple throw the ball away, Siemian calmly pump faked to get him in the air and then side-armed the pass accurately around him.

Broncos QB Trevor Siemian

I’m not suggesting that, because of this one throw, we know Siemian won’t make mistakes or can take this team where it needs to go, but it was a nice, immediate example of veteran savvy from a guy who was throwing his first NFL regular-season pass.

He subsequently had two passes batted at the line, one of which was avoidable and ended up being intercepted by Panthers LB Thomas Davis, and the other of which was more a great play from DE Kony Ealy to save a certain touchdown in the end zone. Siemian wasn’t consistently perfect on even this type of throw, but it was good to see it right off the bat.

Best quality: Good decision-making

Siemian made some mistakes in this game, but they tended to be errors of execution rather than analysis. By and large, he showed good decision-making, able to process what was going on and adjust to make the correct decision and put the ball where it needed to go. His raw numbers aren’t that pretty, but he had a dropped pass, an excellent play from Ealy to save a TD, and there were at least two questionable no-calls where his receivers were held away from a well-thrown pass. His intermediate execution was good and he checked down quickly and efficiently.

Under pressure, Siemian was actually better than when he was kept clean, at least statistically. He completed seven of his nine passes when hurried for 74 yards and a score, with the only black mark being the underthrown interception, which was at least in the right area to go with the football on that play.

Perhaps most importantly, the Broncos trusted him to pass the ball. This wasn’t an offense devised to prop up a flawed QB, it was the full playbook with Siemian running it.

Biggest flaw: Often a fraction slow on read and release

I’m not trying to make out that Siemian was perfect, and we did see mistakes. The batted pass/interception was avoidable, had he fully appreciated the rush on that play, and the other interception was poor execution on a pass that needed to be left long if it was going to miss.

The biggest issue that I saw throughout the game, however, was a tendency to be late—he was often a fraction slow on his read and release, getting himself into trouble when a quicker decision and pass would have done the job.

Take this play down in the red zone in the fourth quarter.

Broncos QB Trevor Siemian

WR Demaryius Thomas is going to break inside against Carolina’s cover-3, with the slot route having cleared out the underneath space. The break to the inside gives Thomas position over CB James Bradberry, and a quick pass would likely have seen him score after the safety backed up into the middle of the field in the end zone.

It wasn’t Siemian’s first read, but he sees it early enough to still make it work, and instead holds the ball just long enough that the safety is able to break on the route from the middle of the field and separate Thomas from the ball. Denver rode their luck on that drive, eventually punching it in, but this play could easily have been the difference between winning and losing the game.

On Denver’s final drive—the final play on offense for the Broncos, in fact (outside of the QB kneel)—Siemian again held the ball too long and was late, resulting in a sack where a completed pass would have come close to sealing the win. It was far from an easy play, but he had Jordan Norwood about to break to the outside from the slot and come open, and had the opportunity to put the ball in the air and trust his receiver would get to that spot. Instead, Siemian held it just a fraction too long, and then was forced to abandon it when he felt the pressure coming from his left.

Throwing late will get an NFL QB into some trouble. It could easily have cost Denver the game here, but the question for Siemian will be whether this something he can develop the longer he starts, speeding up his play to match the greater speed of NFL competition, or is this his fatal flaw that saw him last until the seventh round of the 2015 draft, billed as a comic afterthought to the real starting job competition in Denver?

Right now, Siemian looks good enough to do a job for this team, and that is really all they need from their quarterback—as long as the rest of the roster maintains the high level of play exhibited thus far.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

or is this his fatal flaw that saw him last until the seventh round of the 2015 draft, billed as a comic afterthought to the real starting job competition in Denver?
    I thought the article was decent overall though he missed the mark here. Trevor is pretty much the definition of someone who could fall through the cracks, his college coach rotated QBs as he wanted a running QB out there. He was someone who you had to watch tape on as the stats show he didn't throw all season long.

Could he be the guy? Who knows, for me he passes the eye test in the first game. He needs to keep developing but some film study with Kubiak and I think he is capable of correcting those problems.
    You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

All I need to know is "Best quality: Good decision making"

Comment

Siemian made some mistakes in this game, but they tended to be errors of execution rather than analysis
        The author makes a good distinction here as well as his thoughts about Siemian being a touch slow.

That really is good news. Execution is something that can be worked on, smarts is more difficult. The game will eventually slow down for him so he should also improve on his reads and release.

All in all, facing a top notch defense, Trevor did better than well for his first start. It appears he's gained the trust of his offense and they will fight for him. Their in a good running game so Trevor doesn't have to carry the offense by himself... shoot, we look so much better than we did a week ago.

There still may be some bumps in the road ahead but I think we'll be ok.

NFL, you are on notice: we're back.

Comment

The most important point made, IMO, is that Trevor is running the full playbook, or at least a substantial volume of it at this point in the season. That bodes well for the O going forward. Part of the increase in volume is due to the addition of a FB which adds at least fifteen formations and many more routes.

A point that was not made in the article is the great improvement by the revamped O-Line. As always, the effectiveness of the O-Line is the key to offensive success.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Cool calm and poise in the pocket with an accurate arm will go a long way, not to mention the brilliance that he already possesses and brilliance that he will attain while playing the game.
            I'm telling you guys that Siemian is going to be a very smart all pro QB.

He possesses all the qualities that it takes to be a pretty good QB in this. He may not have Cam Newton or Aaron Rodgers physicalities but not everyone that does is all that great, just look at Jay Culter.
            however he possesses enough. He has Kyle Orton like Calmness in the pocket, Jake Plummers arm (stronger), Elways escape abilities, Manning like accuracy so far. he has all the tools he needs to survive in this offemse in this league!

Comment

Most interesting thing to me was this simple comparison

Trevor

Cam
              The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

"Biggest flaw: Often a fraction slow on read and release"

I suspect that as he gains more experience and gets to know what to expect from his receivers, better timing with receivers and more comfortable with game speed he will be faster with his release. In the preseason I think he was getting the ball out quicker more often than the other QBs ... for a QB that just played his first regular season NFL game he did a decent job overall, and it was against one of the better Ds in the league.
                Better cohesion from the OL and Seimian getting a little more comfortable next week against the Colts defense he should be even better than decent.
                sigpic

Comment

I agree this article leaves a lot of room for hope around here.

Even the negative things mentioned are things that we can realistically think will improve.

Also like how his team mates have his back...think is was CJ who said one of the INTs was on the team. Hearing Kubiak it sounds like something was coached up that the players failed to recognize and pick up.

Siemen's Denverbroncos.com presser was also impressive in how he handles himself in front of the media.

Know some people had the Lynch Train coming to Denver week 1 but we may have to postpone that to a later date....TBD
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Big adjustment from preseason scheme/speed to regular season. I agree he could have pulled the trigger earlier on a few plays, but okay with him taking a split second longer to make sure he read it right. Think this is one of the easier areas to improve as he will start to test his eyes.
                    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Overall the article seemed fair. I think the balanced run/pass helped - 24 run/26 pass. Counting Trevor's 5 runs could have been 24/31 pass attempts. With the defense holding Carolina to a two score lead the offense was able to stay with the run - this took some pressure off passing every down in the 2nd half.

Like a few others have said, Trevor was playing against a really good defense - regardless of the rookie CBs Carolina was tough. O line helped protect him most of the time and did really well run blocking.

Can't wait to see how Trevor plays against Indy.

Comment

I like how the article analyzed the good and the bad and took time to dissect plays to make his point.

What were YOU, as a fan, impressed with? What do you think he needs to work on?

I loved how quick he released the ball. The game commentators displayed the information and it was on average, about 0.33 seconds. I am hoping this isn't a rush to make the first read work or that the line is bad. He also adjusted with the throws...the first one I believe when the defender broke through the line and was in his way between #13 and #88, then Siemian threw a side arm around the defender to get it to Thomas for the 11 yards.

What I want to see improved the next go around is more for the Offensive line to give him space. The first interception by Carolina's Davis, the OL and Defense were right up against Siemian. I hope that will give us a better understanding of Siemian. I would also like to see how he can read and execute passes >20 yards down the field.

Great work nonetheless...Go Broncos!
                        50 Stars and 13 Bars

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                          Cool calm and poise in the pocket with an accurate arm will go a long way, not to mention the brilliance that he already possesses and brilliance that he will attain while playing the game.
                          I'm telling you guys that Siemian is going to be a very smart all pro QB.

He possesses all the qualities that it takes to be a pretty good QB in this. He may not have Cam Newton or Aaron Rodgers physicalities but not everyone that does is all that great, just look at Jay Culter.
                          however he possesses enough. He has Kyle Orton like Calmness in the pocket, Jake Plummers arm (stronger), Elways escape abilities, Manning like accuracy so far. he has all the tools he needs to survive in this offemse in this league!
                          hope he doesn't mean ortons feinting goat syndrome
                          sigpic
                          when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

I really didn't think Siemian did anything wrong aside from the 2nd INT. But that was the right read, just wasn't able to step into his throw. Maybe a better play fake there gives him that extra second but Booker didn't try to sell it either.

I'd definitely like to see more bootlegs. Maybe the coaching staff isn't that comfortable with him having his back to the defense yet or maybe they don't think his fakes are good enough yet. Whatever it was, I hope they implement those bootlegs, it'll really open up the zone stretch for our RBs and CJ looked much improved at finding the holes on the zone runs as opposed to last season.

Comment

Working...
                            X