Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roger Goodell: Discipline Coming for Broncos

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Roger Goodell: Discipline Coming for Broncos

    Uh-oh. I guess this isn't a huge surprise, but it's clear that the league is ready to take action (while apparently not doing anything about the Panthers' violations of the concussion protocol). I'm expecting a suspension for Marshall and probably a fine for the others, but we'll see. Whatever the NFL is going to do, they need to be quick, as it is unfair to the Broncos to make them practice this week without knowing whether they'll be missing any starters on Sunday.

    http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/12...os-cam-newton/

  • #2
    Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post
    Uh-oh. I guess this isn't a huge surprise, but it's clear that the league is ready to take action (while apparently not doing anything about the Panthers' violations of the concussion protocol). I'm expecting a suspension for Marshall and probably a fine for the others, but we'll see. Whatever the NFL is going to do, they need to be quick, as it is unfair to the Broncos to make them practice this week without knowing whether they'll be missing any starters on Sunday.

    http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/12...os-cam-newton/
    Don't be surprised if Von, Stewart and Marshall are all suspended. Marshall's hit is the only one worthy of suspension, but I wouldn't put it past Goodell to try and use us as an example to send a message....
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      The hit by Marshall was totally unnecessary and he deserves discipline for that hit. Not sure how he can justify that action/behavior? Is a suspension appropriate? Unless there is some precedent that a player has been suspended for his first(?) illegal/finable hit than I would say he should not be suspended but certainly fined and warned that a suspension is imminent on his next violation. I don't know for sure if Marshall has had any other fines/violations.

      Stewart's hit was unfortunate but looked unintentional; when I first saw the play at regular speed it looked like he hit Cam under his shoulder/arm but after seeing the replay he did hit helmet to helmet ... I expect he will be fined and rightfully so.

      The "hit" from Von ... Cam was falling into him as much as Von was trying to get to him and I believe(?) was being blocked into him; I see that as incidental and really not a hard collision, some hits are just unavoidable and are going to happen.

      Just my opinion, and since I am a Bronco fan it may not be entirely objective.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4


        And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Goodell, and discipline followed with him. And power was given unto them over the Broncos, to shame, to fine, and to suspend...
        Last edited by Rastic; 09-13-2016, 09:48 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
          Don't be surprised if Von, Stewart and Marshall are all suspended. Marshall's hit is the only one worthy of suspension, but I wouldn't put it past Goodell to try and use us as an example to send a message....
          You're talking crazy now.
          sigpic

          Defense wins championships

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
            The hit by Marshall was totally unnecessary and he deserves discipline for that hit. Not sure how he can justify that action/behavior? Is a suspension appropriate? Unless there is some precedent that a player has been suspended for his first(?) illegal/finable hit than I would say he should not be suspended but certainly fined and warned that a suspension is imminent on his next violation. I don't know for sure if Marshall has had any other fines/violations.

            Stewart's hit was unfortunate but looked unintentional; when I first saw the play at regular speed it looked like he hit Cam under his shoulder/arm but after seeing the replay he did hit helmet to helmet ... I expect he will be fined and rightfully so.

            The "hit" from Von ... Cam was falling into him as much as Von was trying to get to him and I believe(?) was being blocked into him; I see that as incidental and really not a hard collision, some hits are just unavoidable and are going to happen.

            Just my opinion, and since I am a Bronco fan it may not be entirely objective.
            I don't disagree with you, but the media and fans are pretty much in an uproar about every single hit and I just wouldn't be surprised if we get Von, Marshall and Stewart suspended for a game or so.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DarkHorse26 View Post
              You're talking crazy now.
              I'm not saying it's warranted...I'm saying, listen to the idiotic media, the idiotic fans. All of them are saying that there were 4 illegal hits (there was 1, Marshall's)

              I hope to god I'm wrong, but I've got a feeling about this one.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                I'm not saying it's warranted...I'm saying, listen to the idiotic media, the idiotic fans. All of them are saying that there were 4 illegal hits (there was 1, Marshall's)

                I hope to god I'm wrong, but I've got a feeling about this one.
                There is no way they are all going to get suspended. That is just crazy talk.
                also ol' roger can kick rocks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                  I'm not saying it's warranted...I'm saying, listen to the idiotic media, the idiotic fans. All of them are saying that there were 4 illegal hits (there was 1, Marshall's)

                  I hope to god I'm wrong, but I've got a feeling about this one.
                  Me too because if that happened, it would kill what's left of the game that we used to call football.
                  sigpic

                  Defense wins championships

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                    I'm not saying it's warranted...I'm saying, listen to the idiotic media, the idiotic fans. All of them are saying that there were 4 illegal hits (there was 1, Marshall's)

                    I hope to god I'm wrong, but I've got a feeling about this one.
                    But the problem is that if he gives in to popular pressure then he is allowing the public to dictate what the rules mean, instead of their intended natural meaning. Marshall launched at Cam's head while Cam was on the pocket as a QB, penalty, fine, whatever, it's hard to argue against it.

                    Miller's contact was incidental, Stewart's hit was against a scrambling QB that plays like a RB outside the pocket.

                    I would hope Goodell would make the decision based on what happened on the field rather that was is said in print or Facebook and Twitter.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Reading the article and not just the headline helps. Marshall will get fined, maybe suspended

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                        Reading the article and not just the headline helps. Marshall will get fined, maybe suspended
                        The NFL hired Runyan in May as its chief disciplinary officer for on-field infractions. He could fine or suspend Marshall and other Broncos players for Thursday night’s hits on Newton even if those hits were not penalized during the game.
                        It's up in the air who is fined, who is suspended, ect... We'll have to see what Herr Goodell decides.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My question is why would Marshall be suspended? Has any player ever been suspended for a helmet-helmet hit? By the very nature of the new rules, it would've been his first and only personal foul of the game. So it wouldn't have led to an ejection anyway. So if he wouldn't have been ejected, why would he be suspended? Are the refs going to be fined and/or suspended? If not that's just bogus.


                          To me that just makes it a witch hunt because of people at are all overly butt-hurt for a variety of reasons. And somehow suspending Marshall would be some sort of stupid vindication.
                          #swapping

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by flosstein View Post
                            My question is why would Marshall be suspended? Has any player ever been suspended for a helmet-helmet hit? By the very nature of the new rules, it would've been his first and only personal foul of the game. So it wouldn't have led to an ejection anyway. So if he wouldn't have been ejected, why would he be suspended? Are the refs going to be fined and/or suspended? If not that's just bogus.


                            To me that just makes it a witch hunt because of people at are all overly butt-hurt for a variety of reasons. And somehow suspending Marshall would be some sort of stupid vindication.
                            Yes they have and yes he will... He's the one I have zero doubt will get a 1-2 game suspension. The rest will likely get fined, but I wouldn't be surprised if we had more than one suspension.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Here we go. Hope NFL makes the announcement today. Give the team and player time to prepare for this weeks game.

                              Would not be surprised if Marshall gets a suspension. Stewart likely fined. Too hot a topic for Goodell to ignore.

                              Miller would have been a questionable call during the game, Although we have seen similar incidental contact called over the past couple years. But I would be surprised if he gets a fine at this point.

                              Curious if any scrutiny and potential fines being given to the o-lineman that speared Harris after his pick? That was a blatant targeting of a defenseless player wasn't it?

                              How about fines to the Panthers and the medical staff for letting Newton continue? Goodells' justification in the interview of "Newton did not have concussion symptoms after the game" is BS. At the time Newton was lying on the ground.Clearly dazed.

                              If the players are to be held accountable for hits in the heat of the game how are the organizations and more importantly the medical staff not when they have protocols in place and time to make a decision?

                              Confusing stuff. Looks like next man up is going to be put to the test sooner then we had expected though.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X