No announcement yet.

Roger Goodell: Discipline Coming for Broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Players can play hard without hitting high. Hitting lower (hips area?) and keeping on your feet makes for a surer tackle anyway. I've seen Marshall's hit on Cam several times and it just looks totally unnecessary, especially leaving his feet to hit Cam in the head/helmet area. Maybe it wasn't, but I think he intentionally targeted Cam's head, that is just wrong. I want to see them play aggressive and hit hard and IF once in awhile they make a mistake and hit too high, too bad accept the fine.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
      Players can play hard without hitting high. Hitting lower (hips area?) and keeping on your feet makes for a surer tackle anyway. I've seen Marshall's hit on Cam several times and it just looks totally unnecessary, especially leaving his feet to hit Cam in the head/helmet area. Maybe it wasn't, but I think he intentionally targeted Cam's head, that is just wrong. I want to see them play aggressive and hit hard and IF once in awhile they make a mistake and hit too high, too bad accept the fine.
      Well ACTUALLY the difficulty is, when a QB is a QB, you can't go low thanks to the Brady rule. So the NFL is basically forcing defenders to hit the middle, but then if the QB changes direction, if they aren't aiming low enough then it's a penalty too even though their initial aim was a legal area...

It's easier when they are a runner because then you can go for the legs...
      sigpic

Comment

I wanna know why hitting Cam has become such a major topic? It's being discussed on every show.

And now they're discussing our dirty defense against IND.
        Last edited by broncoslover115; 09-15-2016, 08:13 AM.
        Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
          Well ACTUALLY the difficulty is, when a QB is a QB, you can't go low thanks to the Brady rule. So the NFL is basically forcing defenders to hit the middle, but then if the QB changes direction, if they aren't aiming low enough then it's a penalty too even though their initial aim was a legal area...

It's easier when they are a runner because then you can go for the legs...
          I understand what you're saying but I did say the hip area, going too low allows the runner to jump over you. Going for the middle (above the knees and below the shoulders), maintain driving your feet, in most cases is going to be the most effective way of ensuring a tackle is made. I'm pretty sure there is no rules against that technique. Cam is tough to defend as he does run like a RB in most cases but it still doesn't make sense to tackle high if your objective is to make a sure tackle.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
            I wanna know why hitting Cam has become such a major topic? It's being discussed on every show.

And now they're discussing our dirty defense against IND.
            Well the fines were officially handed out to players that hit Cam "illegally" yesterday, I think those were the only fines for illegal hits(?), both on Cam Newton. It seems the Broncos strategy against Cam is too knock him around too. I guess from my perspective it is an appropriate discussion for today.
            I don't think the Broncos defense is "relatively" dirty, (relative to the Bengals, Steelers) - with the exception of Talib - they do play fast and hard as a team.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
              I think players should accept fines as part of then game.

Would rather have a guy who will take fines and play hard then a guy who plays soft.

Also guys need to stop hitting players helmet first. Defensive players are punished more severly when their helmet is the first thing that makes contact and given more breaks when their helmet makes contact after another part of their body.

I know it is tough. You still hear coaches and announcers yelling about a fantastic job when a defender leads with their helmet and hits the ball causing a fumble.

Being a defender in the 80s was easy...easier still in the 70s.

It is a tough job now a days.
              That take has it's drawbacks as well. I'm not trying to over simplify your thoughts but the logical end, as it seems to me, would be players that just accept fines as a part of the game and thus the power of fines have as a deterrent is diminished. That effect could go beyond a player but in to a system where a team might prefer players who are willing to play loose with the rules for the sake of the team.

The game in the 70s and 80s was different but then so was our understanding of the serious effect to players that style of game had. I don't think they should neuter the game, but if safety is important to the NFL, players, and fans, then punishment for playing unsafe needs rules with teeth both for willful misconduct as well as negligence.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                That take has it's drawbacks as well. I'm not trying to over simplify your thoughts but the logical end, as it seems to me, would be players that just accept fines as a part of the game and thus the power of fines have as a deterrent is diminished. That effect could go beyond a player but in to a system where a team might prefer players who are willing to play loose with the rules for the sake of the team.

The game in the 70s and 80s was different but then so was our understanding of the serious effect to players that style of game had. I don't think they should neuter the game, but if safety is important to the NFL, players, and fans, then punishment for playing unsafe needs rules with teeth both for willful misconduct as well as negligence.
                If safety was that important to the NFL then we'd see offensive players fined for dropping their head when a defender is coming for them. They made it a penalty and I've only seen it called once and that was right after they made it a point of emphasis.

Comment

Working...
                X