Why Broncos are going with Trevor Siemian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Broncos are going with Trevor Siemian

When I look at Trevor I do see Alex Smith, especially after seeing his mobility in last weeks game. There was one game last year where Alex Smith was playing amazing against us, he seemed to be making every right decision against our defence. If we can get that kind of poise and decision making from Trevor, we have all we need to make another run.

http://cover32.com/2016/09/06/bronco...revor-siemian/

Why we ride with Trevor Siemian can be summed up in two words: Alex Smith.

Smith shows that you don’t need to have a flashy game to win in this league. And win a lot. He’s had a perfect passer game. He has a 142 to 83 TD to INT ratio. He’s lead the league in completions, as well. He’s taken his teams to playoff games. He’s the guy that won’t dazzle you, but he gets the ball down the field and does it with very few interceptions. His play matches his personality. Efficient.

Trevor Siemian is being held up to impossible standards. Denver fans have become quarterback snobs. While Peyton Manning had a poor last year, his pre-snap analysis was still the best in the league. Four years of having an elite quarterback like Manning, makes everybody else pale in comparison. His engaging and funny personality didn’t hurt, either.

While Siemian isn’t going to blow our doors off, he does know what he’s doing. Sounds simple, but it’s not. He is smart and can process information quickly. This means when a play is relayed to him, he knows where his team needs to line up and what look he wants on defense to make it happen.

He also has proper technique. His hand off and drops backs are correct. When he goes to make a throw, he’s in the right spot, with the right weight distribution. This goes far in making completions and using the entire playbook.

His team knows Siemian will have the correct line-up, call the right play and has enough scrambling and arm strength ability. I’m going to assume his no pulse demeanor translates well to keeping it professional. This makes him the leader in the huddle.

Combine these things and Siemian can execute the playbook Gary Kubiak wants. Kubes won’t have to call a timeout because the team is lined up incorrectly. Give Gary a Smith type of quarterback with our defense and he will win. That’s what it appears we have in Siemian.

Many are befuddled as to why it’s Siemian and not Paxton Lynch starting. Above is why. Lynch has the Elway style of play, but he has to master the Smith way, first. He’s hasn’t, yet.

His five step drops backs are the biggest stumbling block and combined with not being fully comfortable with the entire playbook, sending him out now, could set him up to fail.

In order for the scheme Kubes wants to play to work, the quarterback must drop back into the correct spot and/or step up in the pocket to the right spot. Lynch has three step, roll outs, and boots to perfection. He can make all the throws on the run. He can muscle a ball anywhere.

On his five step though, his steps are too big. A problem every super tall quarterback has to deal with. It’s very possible that with an offensive line that knows how to block for three or four seconds this issue may clean up sooner, rather than later. Repetitions in practice, with the first string OL should help.

When you know your protection is nil, it’s habit to drop away from the pressure to buy time. Unfortunately, this also is feasting time for good edge rushers. You’re the lone antelope at the watering hole.

Too big of steps besides making you dinner, has other issues, as well. Everyone has a job and a spot they want to be in. If your drop is too deep, that effects timing with the receivers. That extra foot, that extra split second is the difference between a ball hitting the sweet spot and one being a sour ball. The linemen, who aren’t small guys, may now be in your line of sight, too so seeing who’s covering your number one read will be rough. Even at 6’7″.

In short, this means accuracy is effected. If you know you’re now a split second late, you rush the ball, back foot throw it. You don’t see a defender and throw a pick. The timing is off and throw an incompletion. Follow your receiver with your eyes because you’re not in the right spot to lead a defender away from the play. While you may have every tool in the box, using a flat head when you need a Phillips screwdriver can be done, but not efficiently.

Siemian isn’t the exciting choice, but he’s the safe choice, for now. Until Lynch gets his feet right and knows the playbook well enough to call the correct plays, knows where everyone should be lined up, it does make sense to go with Smith talent over Elway talent if we’d like Lynch to live long enough to be the XXL Elway.

Whether that time is in a week, a month or six, Siemian is our guy, NOW. We can win with an Alex Siemian.
    "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Trevor played fairly well considering the game was his first start, a new offensive line and a very good Panthers defense. I want to see how he builds on each game and how he plays on the road - Bengals next.

Think about how different the narrative would be if Gano made the field goal. I think we would hear the early rant for Lynch. We may have heard, "Trevor had two interceptions - one was a bad decision and the other was not a good throw. If he keeps this up he could be a turnover machine. Give Lynch a try - he can't be worse."

I really liked the balance with run/pass vs. Panthers. Hopefully Trevor will continue improving - I think he will but we have to see.

Comment

I just wish Trevor would unleash that arm a bit more. He has a cannon that can make every throw. Not quite elite like Lynches arm, but still near elite. Broncos won't play a defensive front 7 again like they did last week all year. So there won't be any Kona Ealy's stealing TD cases, or Kuechlys flying around.
      sigpic

Comment

Good post. It's so annoying when people use his comparison to Smith as a bad thing. It's not the most exciting play ever. But, it's better play than we got last year and it's great qb play for a team with a great defense.

Comment

Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
          Good post. It's so annoying when people use his comparison to Smith as a bad thing. It's not the most exciting play ever. But, it's better play than we got last year and it's great qb play for a team with a great defense.
          I'm enjoying the balanced offense this far - only one game however it shows what Kubiak wants to accomplish. If we remove the turnovers (I know we can't) the offense was efficient.

Alway fun to see some of those 20+ and longer pass completions - those will come in time.

I think seeing the way the line opened holes and the runs were a lot of fun to watch.

Comment

Oh the comparisons.....

Siemian has played ONE game, yet I've seen comparisons from Joe Montana to Alex Smith to Kyle Orton. I don't know how you can make any kind of comparison after one game.

Really should wait at least a few games before calling him the next **insert QB name here**

Comment

They have similarities, but he has a lot more arm talent than Smith.
              sigpic
              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                Oh the comparisons.....

Siemian has played ONE game, yet I've seen comparisons from Joe Montana to Alex Smith to Kyle Orton. I don't know how you can make any kind of comparison after one game.

Really should wait at least a few games before calling him the next **insert QB name here**
                Comparisons are typically used as a method of prediction on what a guys ceiling can be. This does not mean that people are saying they are just as good or accomplished as said comparison. Just that they think it's what they can become. And there's nothing wrong with that. That's part of what a message board is about.

Comment

I would like to see Siemian not throw two interceptions before calling him Alex Smith.
                  My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                  You Mad Bro?
                  Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Why can't Trevor Siemian = Trevor Siemian? Comparing him to Montana is fine to do as he also looks like a QB that will be more about timing than gunslinger. Alex smith is a horrible comparison. Smith is far more athletic, Siemian has a stronger arm. Smith prefers to work inside the numbers, Siemian seems to prefer working outside the numbers (more faith in arm strength less to process).

I think 3-4 games into the season, Trevor will start to trust his eyes more and process thing quicker...then we can talk about what kind of QB he will be.
                    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                      Why can't Trevor Siemian = Trevor Siemian? Comparing him to Montana is fine to do as he also looks like a QB that will be more about timing than gunslinger. Alex smith is a horrible comparison. Smith is far more athletic, Siemian has a stronger arm. Smith prefers to work inside the numbers, Siemian seems to prefer working outside the numbers (more faith in arm strength less to process).

I think 3-4 games into the season, Trevor will start to trust his eyes more and process thing quicker...then we can talk about what kind of QB he will be.
                      Because, to some people comparing is fun. I don't personally share this feeling. But, I'm not going to try to stop them, if they enjoy it.

And I disagree that Smith is "far more athletic".

Comment

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                        Trevor played fairly well considering the game was his first start, a new offensive line and a very good Panthers defense. I want to see how he builds on each game and how he plays on the road - Bengals next.

Think about how different the narrative would be if Gano made the field goal. I think we would hear the early rant for Lynch. We may have heard, "Trevor had two interceptions - one was a bad decision and the other was not a good throw. If he keeps this up he could be a turnover machine. Give Lynch a try - he can't be worse."

I really liked the balance with run/pass vs. Panthers. Hopefully Trevor will continue improving - I think he will but we have to see.
                        Actually, I posted after the game that even if we lost that game I was walking away very encouraged by Siemian's play. Like another poster said, that will be the toughest front 7 we face all year. Not only did he put up 21 points against that D, but he also was moving the chains keeping their offense off the field. All our turnovers were in Carolina territory, so we weren't giving them short fields. For his first start to be thrown in to the wolves and do what he did win or lose, I was impressed.

Not perfect - but he got me excited about our prospects this year and thats all you can ask as a fan
                        "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post
                          Actually, I posted after the game that even if we lost that game I was walking away very encouraged by Siemian's play. Like another poster said, that will be the toughest front 7 we face all year. Not only did he put up 21 points against that D, but he also was moving the chains keeping their offense off the field. All our turnovers were in Carolina territory, so we weren't giving them short fields. For his first start to be thrown in to the wolves and do what he did win or lose, I was impressed.

Not perfect - but he got me excited about our prospects this year and thats all you can ask as a fan
                          I was encouraged as well. A loss is would have been disappointing - either way Trevor ran the offense, made some nice throws and scrambled for key first downs. As you said he was playing against a tough defense.

Looking forward to seeing him play tomorrow!

Comment

He's played one game, I think comparing him to anyone yet is premature.
                            sigpic
                            2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X