Broncos Release then Re-sign Veteran Safety Shiloh Keo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Release then Re-sign Veteran Safety Shiloh Keo

I didn't see this posted anywhere on the board. I was trying to find a list of who we had active against the Colts to get an idea of who would take Ware's spot on the game day roster and found this:

KUSA—In a move signaling a vote of confidence in their rookie safeties, the Denver Broncos released veteran Shiloh Keo on Saturday.

Keo, a veteran backup strong safety, had been about to finish his two-game suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy that stemmed from his DUI charge in mid-February.

The move, first reported by 9NEWS, was slightly surprising because the Broncos’ only back up safeties to starters T.J. Ward and Darian Stewart are rookies Justin Simmons and Will Parks.

Parks didn’t take any defensive snaps in the season opener last week against Carolina. Simmons played 29 defensive snaps and didn’t get flattering reviews from head coach Gary Kubiak or defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. Both said Simmons played like a rookie.

“The preseason games are a lot different than from the first regular-season game,’’ said Simmons, a third-round draft pick from Boston College. “There are a lot of things I think I did well and a lot of things I can improve on.’’

Keo had previously played for Kubiak and Phillips with the Houston Texans from 2011-13, but he had been out of football for almost two years when he signed with the Kubiak/Phillips’ coached Broncos last December.

Keo, 28, played in the final four regular-season games and two more in the postseason. He recovered an onside kick to seal the Broncos’ 20-18 victory against New England in the AFC Championship Game.

Despite his DUI charge, the Broncos signed Keo back to their team and he played extensively with them through the offseason, training camp and preseason. He was terrific in the final preseason game at Arizona, albeit in a game played by second and third stringers.

The timing of Keo's release -- before the Broncos’ game Sunday against Indianapolis instead of waiting until the day -- suggests one, the Broncos didn't want to get stuck with any pro-rated salary or termination pay for the vested veteran if they waited to release him on Monday; two, the Broncos are confident they could re-sign Keo if one of their players did get banged up against the Colts; and three, the team is committed to enduring the growing pains of their talented rookies.

Simmons is an intelligent player but the smartest of rookies need time before they can quickly pick up offensive keys. Paradoxically, safeties have to reach a point where reading the keys becomes second nature and they can play without thinking, which means playing faster.

“All things that come with repetition and watching film and years of experience,’’ Simmons said. “It’s all stuff I can improve on. It has nothing to do with effort or technique, so it’s all positives.’’

http://www.9news.com/sports/broncos-...-keo/319712275
    Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Guess who's back?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mileh...android-att-us

The Denver Broncos made a roster move on Tuesday bringing Shiloh Keo back into the fold, while releasing Kyle Peko.

Hope Peko makes it to the PS

Comment

Originally posted by kona bronco View Post
      https://www.google.com/amp/www.mileh...android-att-us

The Denver Broncos made a roster move on Tuesday bringing Shiloh Keo back into the fold, while releasing Kyle Peko.

Hope Peko makes it to the PS
      If Peko makes it through waivers, they would probably release an offensive player from the PS to make room for him since they currently have six offensive and four defensive players on it..
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Broncos to bring back Shiloh Keo; waive Kyle Peko

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Shiloh Keo will return to the Broncos' roster.

After releasing him at the end of his two-game suspension to open the regular season, the Broncos will bring back the veteran safety, providing additional depth at a position where rookies Justin Simmons and Will Parks handled the reserve work the last two weeks.

To make room for Keo, the Broncos waived nose tackle Kyle Peko.

Keo joined the Broncos last December and provided veteran depth during the Broncos' push to the postseason. He also played a vital role on special teams, serving as a fill-in punt returner and recovering the on-side kickoff that clinched the Broncos' AFC Championship Game win over the New England Patriots.

Peko was inactive for both of the Broncos' first two regular-season games after making the 53-man roster at the Sep. 3 deadline. The Oregon State product was the only undrafted rookie to make the roster out of camp after notching two tackles and playing 65 snaps during the preseason.

The 6-foot-1, 305-pounder was the only third-team defensive lineman on the Broncos' roster. He worked at all three spots along the defensive line during training camp and the preseason. His cousin Domata is a starting defensive tackle for the Bengals, who the Broncos face Sunday.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...ampaign=buffer
        Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Mike Klis Twitter:

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h2 hours ago
          Full story is, SS Shiloh Keo was signed back primarily because rookie S Justin Simmons suffered fractured left wrist.

Comment

I'm guessing Obama is going to hear about this

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              If Peko makes it through waivers, they would probably release an offensive player from the PS to make room for him since they currently have six offensive and four defensive players on it..
              I agree...I'd assume it would be a WR as there are two on the PS I believe. Wonder which one we would release?

Comment

Does game 2 count against the suspension? Didn't they cut him before that game?
                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                You Mad Bro?
                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Working...
                X