Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eagles trade OG Allen Barbre for Broncos 2019 conditional pick

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Eagles trade OG Allen Barbre for Broncos 2019 conditional pick

    Pretty good news if you ask me. We need help at the O line, and it looks as if the interior is being sealed. Sorry Max. Don't know if it's bee nconfirmed yet, but this news has me pretty excited.

    http://phi.247sports.com/Bolt/Report...pick-105510576
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

  • #2
    Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Pretty good news if you ask me. We need help at the O line, and it looks as if the interior is being sealed. Sorry Max. Don't know if it's bee nconfirmed yet, but this news has me pretty excited.

    http://phi.247sports.com/Bolt/Report...pick-105510576
    Competition is great. I like John swooping in before Eagles could release him.

    Comment


    • #3
      not Good for Garcia...... but if he is better and let Leary work his natural position.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
        not Good for Garcia...... but if he is better and let Leary work his natural position.
        I think it's understated how important a veteran guard will need to be by Bolles to help him develop. This way we can either let Leary or Barbre seal the gaps instead of worrying if Garcia will blow the assignment
        Superbowl 50 Champions!

        Comment


        • #5
          This is great news! I don't know enough about him myself, so the best I could find was that PFF rated him with an 82 grade and 16th overall guard in the NFL. I'm not one to put a lot of stock into pff, but I'm sure they can't be so off on him that he is worse than what we had last year at guard. If he can match that, sounds like we have an upgrade from last year!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
            This is great news! I don't know enough about him myself, so the best I could find was that PFF rated him with an 82 grade and 16th overall guard in the NFL. I'm not one to put a lot of stock into pff, but I'm sure they can't be so off on him that he is worse than what we had last year at guard. If he can match that, sounds like we have an upgrade from last year!
            I did some research on him, and it looks like the Eagles released him after deciding to go with a rookie OG to save on cap space. That's probably the best case scenario to pick up a player that would be cut, because Barbre wasn't going to be cut due to lack of talent or due to critical injuries. To me a conditional late round pick in 2019 for a veteran OG coming off a good year is a no brainer. Great decision by Elway
            Superbowl 50 Champions!

            Comment


            • #7
              Turned 33 years old last month, the Eagles were releasing him.
              He had trouble in his first few seasons with the Packers ... In three seasons with the Packers (drafted 4th round in 2007), Barbre struggled to find a role on the team. Originally tried at left guard for two seasons, Barbre failed to earn a starting spot and was tried at right tackle for the 2009 season. Barbre began the season as the starter, but was ineffective and soon removed from the starting line-up.

              He worked for Miami and Seattle in 2010, getting 0 starts, in 2011 he is credited for 4 games with Seattle. Did not play for anybody in 2012.
              2013 played for the Eagles, had no starts.
              2014, Barbre signed a 3-year extension with the Eagles but suffered a season ending ankle injury in the opener on September 7, 2014 against the Jacksonville Jaguars. He was placed on injured reserve.

              Finally in 2015, Barbre started all 16 games for the Philadelphia Eagles. With new coach Doug Pederson in 2016, Barbre won the starting left guard position starting in 12 games.

              We can use the competition in camp ... that's good.
              BUT, we have some young OL that could start coming on - Garcia, McGovern maybe even Schofield? - Barbre took a lot of years to finally start 1 full season and then 12 last season. I hope one of the guys we already have will not lose out to Barbre.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                I did some research on him, and it looks like the Eagles released him after deciding to go with a rookie OG to save on cap space. That's probably the best case scenario to pick up a player that would be cut, because Barbre wasn't going to be cut due to lack of talent or due to critical injuries. To me a conditional late round pick in 2019 for a veteran OG coming off a good year is a no brainer. Great decision by Elway
                Eagles saving 2.1M? They are a little close to the cap ~6.5M under but not a huge # there unless they are trying to sign somebody else.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                  Turned 33 years old last month, the Eagles were releasing him.
                  He had trouble in his first few seasons with the Packers ... In three seasons with the Packers (drafted 4th round in 2007), Barbre struggled to find a role on the team. Originally tried at left guard for two seasons, Barbre failed to earn a starting spot and was tried at right tackle for the 2009 season. Barbre began the season as the starter, but was ineffective and soon removed from the starting line-up.

                  He worked for Miami and Seattle in 2010, getting 0 starts, in 2011 he is credited for 4 games with Seattle. Did not play for anybody in 2012.
                  2013 played for the Eagles, had no starts.
                  2014, Barbre signed a 3-year extension with the Eagles but suffered a season ending ankle injury in the opener on September 7, 2014 against the Jacksonville Jaguars. He was placed on injured reserve.

                  Finally in 2015, Barbre started all 16 games for the Philadelphia Eagles. With new coach Doug Pederson in 2016, Barbre won the starting left guard position starting in 12 games.

                  We can use the competition in camp ... that's good.
                  BUT, we have some young OL that could start coming on - Garcia, McGovern maybe even Schofield? - Barbre took a lot of years to finally start 1 full season and then 12 last season. I hope one of the guys we already have will not lose out to Barbre.
                  Great post. Didn't know he had to play this long in the league before getting any consistency. But in all honesty, with the league being 'what have you done for me recently,' it's important to know how he performed recently than 5 or 6 years ago in my opinion.

                  To be honest, it haven't seen much from any of the drafted linemen that makes me think they can beat out Barbre. As of late, Max Garcia wasn't able to earn the RG position, which would have made him play by Bolles, which is extremely risky. He was definitely one of the best linemen on the Eagles last season and with rookie QBs the time to experiment with linemen that haven't produced since draft isn't now. I'd take a vet that has good years and experience so that we can let Lynch or Bolles get the best protection and vet experience; a 2019 late round draft pick is nothing for what he can do for this line imo
                  Last edited by TheAsianPA; 07-26-2017, 03:53 PM.
                  Superbowl 50 Champions!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                    Eagles saving 2.1M? They are a little close to the cap ~6.5M under but not a huge # there unless they are trying to sign somebody else.
                    They may be trying to do that. Looking at Spotrac it looks like they're at about where you mentioned. I'd assume they'd like to have some cap space left over for emergency signings or for next year's free agency

                    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/cap/
                    Superbowl 50 Champions!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Bolles - Barbre - Paradis - Leary - Watson

                      This is the OL the team wants to put on the field in week 1. No matter if Leary moves back to LG or stays at RG, rookie Bolles will have a veteran presence next to him. This trade likely sends Garcia back to the bench, which is a good thing for the offense.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Interesting read. http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2...he_eagles.html

                        Barbre's experience doesn't bring much inspiration considering how much he moved around and how little starting experience he had. However, last year in PHI he really seems to have crossed some kind of bridge starting 12 games, allowing 2 sacks and 14 pressures.

                        If anything, another camp body to compete that also has a real chance over some guys currently on the roster.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I got interested when I saw this, but deflated a bit once I read up on the guy. To me this has 'camp body' written all over it. We just got him with a trade instead of getting him via FA. It's competition. It's a piece to the puzzle. It might work out, it might not. I'm just not expecting a lot from him.
                          Adopt-A-Bronco: Tim Patrick

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                            Turned 33 years old last month, the Eagles were releasing him.
                            He had trouble in his first few seasons with the Packers ... In three seasons with the Packers (drafted 4th round in 2007), Barbre struggled to find a role on the team. Originally tried at left guard for two seasons, Barbre failed to earn a starting spot and was tried at right tackle for the 2009 season. Barbre began the season as the starter, but was ineffective and soon removed from the starting line-up.

                            He worked for Miami and Seattle in 2010, getting 0 starts, in 2011 he is credited for 4 games with Seattle. Did not play for anybody in 2012.
                            2013 played for the Eagles, had no starts.
                            2014, Barbre signed a 3-year extension with the Eagles but suffered a season ending ankle injury in the opener on September 7, 2014 against the Jacksonville Jaguars. He was placed on injured reserve.

                            Finally in 2015, Barbre started all 16 games for the Philadelphia Eagles. With new coach Doug Pederson in 2016, Barbre won the starting left guard position starting in 12 games.

                            We can use the competition in camp ... that's good.
                            BUT, we have some young OL that could start coming on - Garcia, McGovern maybe even Schofield? - Barbre took a lot of years to finally start 1 full season and then 12 last season. I hope one of the guys we already have will not lose out to Barbre.
                            I don't care how long it took him. He was easily better than anything we had at guard last year. All that matters is where he is now. Not where he was 8 years ago.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                              I got interested when I saw this, but deflated a bit once I read up on the guy. To me this has 'camp body' written all over it. We just got him with a trade instead of getting him via FA. It's competition. It's a piece to the puzzle. It might work out, it might not. I'm just not expecting a lot from him.
                              And that is a fair assessment considering he was cut and he still hasn't provided a long history of consistency. But the good news is that if he doesn't make the team, the Broncos can just simply cut him and get the 7th back. Or he provides strong depth at the guard position at very worst, and that would be good because that would mean Garcia put it together. I would also say that it's a little harsh on Barbre to say that he's just a camp body, especially after he was a starter at the position and the 16th best guard in the league. That's infinitely better than what I saw last season on our line if I'm being honest
                              Last edited by TheAsianPA; 07-26-2017, 04:28 PM.
                              Superbowl 50 Champions!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X