Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The few small adjustments that can take the Broncos from competitor to contender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    He was not good Sunday. The reason that game was even close was the deficit Denver played with at QB. You hold an opponent to 250 yards (64 of that on one play) and 10 points, it should be no doubt. He's played well in two games and not good in two, hopefully game 5 leads to an upturn and consistency. If he's going to be 6th alternate to the Pro Bowl again he'll need that.
    Wasn't he the most pressured QB against the Raiders that week? Over 50% of his plays? I thought I read that somewhere. He was definitely pressured a lot. Considering that he had a solid day. No turnovers, TD, WIN, divisional opponent, pretty solid game management day. It's not great, but not bad either. There are better QBs out there having much worst games, "bad games".

Is anything under 250 yds and 3 TDs considered a bad day to you?

Pro Bowl Trevor doesn't think so, I doubt the coaches think so either.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      So, in that scenario, do you leave Garcia at LG? And, who is the Swing Tackle on game day?
      Leave Garcia at LG, since he's been rotating with Barbre anyway. Make Watson the swing OT and 6th o-lineman for jumbo packages. I would schedule workouts with free-agent OTs in an attempt to replace Donald Stephenson on the roster. The guy allowed a strip sack on his first play replacing Watson, then kept watching as the players fought for the ball; he's simply too lackadaisical and sloppy.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
        Leave Garcia at LG, since he's been rotating with Barbre anyway. Make Watson the swing OT and 6th o-lineman for jumbo packages. I would schedule workouts with free-agent OTs in an attempt to replace Donald Stephenson on the roster. The guy allowed a strip sack on his first play replacing Watson, then kept watching as the players fought for the ball; he's simply too lackadaisical and sloppy.
        Why not put Watson at LG and start getting McGovern reps as the swing tackle?

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
          With his improvement over the past two games, I'd leave him at RT at least for the Giants game and use the bye and Giants to determine what, if any changes, for the Chargers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
            With his improvement over the past two games, I'd leave him at RT at least for the Giants game and use the bye and Giants to determine what, if any changes, for the Chargers.
            While he has improved at RT I just feel like he'd be a monster at LG. He's as strong as an ox and he's more athletic than his size indicates, he just has trouble mirroring rushers on the edge, he almost seems like he's just guessing at times rather than reacting quickly. Put him in a phone booth and let him go to work. Plus we'd have a really strong interior line for those short yardage situations

Comment

Connor McGovern is the backup C. If he became the Swing Tackle, another backup C would need to be prepped and repped.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Connor McGovern is the backup C. If he became the Swing Tackle, another backup C would need to be prepped and repped.
                Max Garcia played C in college right?

Comment

Max Garcia played C in college right?
                  Yes, in his last season at Florida. I think he repped at C some during his rookie year.

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                    The moment to free ourselves of Stephenson was in the off season when we could have released him and freed ourselves of all his guaranteed money. At this point that bad decision to keep him then has cascaded into other bad decisions which ended up with him still on the roster.

I still think his worst games will come against KC...it was true in 2016 and KC celebrated when we re-did his contract in the off-season. My lone hope he we some how manage to not suit him up against KC

There is someone, or multiple people, in the front office really bad at evaluating OL players
                    Lets Ride!

Comment

Something to consider is that the best puller in an angle blocked rushing attack should be the LG. So, the question to be asked about Watson at LG is can he pull to the opposite TE hole and get there before the ball carrier?

Something similar was tried in 2014 when Orlando Franklin was moved from RT to LG, and Chris Clark went from LT to RT. Orlando did a good job; Chris not so much.

Comment

Something to consider is that the best puller in an angle blocked rushing attack should be the LG. So, the question to be asked about Watson at LG is can he pull to the opposite TE hole and get there before the ball carrier?

Something similar was tried in 2014 when Orlando Franklin was moved from RT to LG, and Chris Clark went from LT to RT. Orlando did a good job; Chris not so much.
                        I don't think athleticism is really the problem with Watson so much as he's just bad at mirroring edge defenders. So I think he has the ability to be a great pulling LG, but if not Leary made his money at LG so we could put him at LG, slide Watson down to RG, and put Barbre at RT although he won't down block as well as Watson but he should be better than Chris Clark.

McGovern can play all 5 positions on the line so I would make him our 6th linemen should someone go down.

Comment

I don't think athleticism is really the problem with Watson so much as he's just bad at mirroring edge defenders. So I think he has the ability to be a great pulling LG, but if not Leary made his money at LG so we could put him at LG, slide Watson down to RG, and put Barbre at RT although he won't down block as well as Watson but he should be better than Chris Clark.

McGovern can play all 5 positions on the line so I would make him our 6th linemen should someone go down.
                          Connor McGovern played Right Guard and both Tackle spots at Mizzou. With the Broncos he has learned Center and has played some RG in relief of Ron Leary. To my knowledge, he hasn't repped either Tackle spot with the Broncos. At this time, it might be a stretch to project him as game day ready to fill in at all five spots.

Usually pro teams activate seven O-Linemen on game day; the starters, one inside guy and a Swing Tackle. Because Allen Barbre has been sharing snaps at LG with Max Garcia, Denver has activated eight O-Linemen, if I'm not mistaken. I think Billy Turner has been inactive, so far.

Comment

Connor McGovern played Right Guard and both Tackle spots at Mizzou. With the Broncos he has learned Center and has played some RG in relief of Ron Leary. To my knowledge, he hasn't repped either Tackle spot with the Broncos. At this time, it might be a stretch to project him as game day ready to fill in at all five spots.

Usually pro teams activate seven O-Linemen on game day; the starters, one inside guy and a Swing Tackle. Because Allen Barbre has been sharing snaps at LG with Max Garcia, Denver has activated eight O-Linemen, if I'm not mistaken. I think Billy Turner has been inactive, so far.
                            He hasn't but if anyone goes down there will be some shuffling regardless. Bolles and Barbre at OT would have Watson kicking back out with McGovern taking Watsons spot. If an interior guy goes down McGovern would come in. Also I'd look for a new OT to replace Stephenson asap

That's just what I would do with our current set up.
                            Last edited by beastlyskronk; 10-10-2017, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X