No announcement yet.

Brock Osweiler will start for Denver Broncos vs. Eagles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason I think this took so long and the problem elway wanted to avoid is if Brock plays well and go on a run maybe even make the playoffs there will be pressure to get him re signed. The problem with that is 8 games isn’t nearly enough to commit to someone long term and the franchise tag is probably somewhere around 22 million. I think we will end up right back where we have been rolling the dice on unknown QB prospects on rookie deals.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
      This criticism of Osweiler has always been interesting to me.

Do you remember the timeline? Broncos left him hanging for weeks without negotiating until Manning officially announced retirement. When negotiations started the low balled him, complained in the media about the market value of QBs and then told him to see what he could get from other teams. Then didn't even match the offer when given the opportunity to do so.

Not sure how Osweiler would not feel a bit disrespected at that point. His not calling his teammates I do see as an issue. But not calling back the FO or Elway. It wasn't like they were enthusiastically breaking down his door either until it was too little too late.

Obviously he failed in Houston. As have a dozen other QBs until Watson. Not arguing that Osweiler was worth that contract or it was handled well by either side. But I do not see how he gets so much crap for leaving Denver. And as mentioned, they must have worked through it or the FO or his teammates would not have welcomed him back. Going to be interesting to see if the offense rallies around him or just more lackluster efforts and results.

This is not Entirely Accurate.....Pretty close but here is what happened:

They were in Elways office (or some office, I assume Elways) and were going over the final contract details. Ready to sign. Brocks agent got a phone call, stepped outside, came back in 20-30 seconds later....and said "We are done here". Grabbed brock and they left.

They did not give elway a chance to match, counter or anything else. They got the call from Houston, accepted it and left. That is what happened.
      So far:
      FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
      1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by SMR81 View Post
        I don't see how people can say Oz was low balled? He certainly wasn't worth the contract he ended up with. I think most people are glad we didn't ended up with that contract.
        This is an old topic. Perhaps you should go back and review the facts and timeline. . Elway was in no rush to negotiate for a month. Late Feb he was openly selling the "middle class" QB contract and that this "would not be Osweiler's big contract". A couple of comparisons were in that $8-12M range. Elway didn't even extend an offer until after the HOU rumors started to pick up steam around the first week of March when free agency started.

This has always been a pet peeve of mine. IMO Elway mismanaged the situation. All speculation on my part but If Elway had shown some enthusiasm and negotiated early instead of letting him hit free agency they "might" have signed Osweiler for much less then the HOU offer.

Who knows how things would have turned out for the Broncos or Osweiler if they offered him a 4yr/$50M contract. Would Osweiler have developed into a good starter the past couple years? As the established starter would he have been better then bottom t3rd in QB ranking? Would the Broncos have used that Lynch pick on an olineman?

All hindsight. Who knows how the dominoes fall if handled differently. As for this game... ?

Comment

GUYS-

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS PLEASE?!

What is the point of announcing who our starting QB is for the Eagles? Joseph should have made no comment all week- allowed the Eagles to prepare for Trevor Siemian and then marched Brock out there the first series. That would be a real competitive advantage.

Why all the PR correctness? Should go for the throat.

Comment

Interesting......

Brock shows some good stuff over less than half a season, and gets this great contract. Sucks in Houston, then Cleveland doesn't give him a go (ooooohhh....not even Cleveland!!). Comes back to us at a very low price.

It is kind of funny though, that we were pressed hard to give him a contract well over $15M/yr, and now we get him for almost nothing, and to actually start!! I know, this was not planned, but karma is female dog. And if he plays really well again, which I have my doubts, I am sure negotiations would go much different. But for me, this is a temporary thing.

I will say this though, each of our QBs, and some of O should be taking out our D for supper every week, because without them, we are getting beat badly of late. Maybe some coaches need to chip in as well.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
              The reason I think this took so long and the problem elway wanted to avoid is if Brock plays well and go on a run maybe even make the playoffs there will be pressure to get him re signed. The problem with that is 8 games isn’t nearly enough to commit to someone long term and the franchise tag is probably somewhere around 22 million. I think we will end up right back where we have been rolling the dice on unknown QB prospects on rookie deals.
              I doubt any coach/gm would continue to lose games with inferior QB just because they were worried about an upcoming contract situation.

They wanted to give Siemian enough time to get out of this funk, and it's clearly not happening. Yes they probably should've made the switch halfway through the Chargers game, it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                This is not Entirely Accurate.....Pretty close but here is what happened:

They were in Elways office (or some office, I assume Elways) and were going over the final contract details. Ready to sign. Brocks agent got a phone call, stepped outside, came back in 20-30 seconds later....and said "We are done here". Grabbed brock and they left.

They did not give elway a chance to match, counter or anything else. They got the call from Houston, accepted it and left. That is what happened.
                Interesting. Don't think i ever heard the negotiations ever got that close to being signed.

No disrespect meant, but do you remember the source or where you heard that? Just want to check that m opinion is fact based.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  Interesting......

Brock shows some good stuff over less than half a season, and gets this great contract. Sucks in Houston, then Cleveland doesn't give him a go (ooooohhh....not even Cleveland!!). Comes back to us at a very low price.

It is kind of funny though, that we were pressed hard to give him a contract well over $15M/yr, and now we get him for almost nothing, and to actually start!! I know, this was not planned, but karma is female dog. And if he plays really well again, which I have my doubts, I am sure negotiations would go much different. But for me, this is a temporary thing.

I will say this though, each of our QBs, and some of O should be taking out our D for supper every week, because without them, we are getting beat badly of late. Maybe some coaches need to chip in as well.
                  Wait...Whut???

LOLOL
                  [sigpic

Comment

There was a reason Brock was ahead of Trevor on the depth chart the year's he was. Not saying Brock is going to lead us anywhere, but I believe he's better than Trevor. Hopefully he's got the playbook down.

Comment

Originally posted by Zealander View Post
                      GUYS-

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS PLEASE?!

What is the point of announcing who our starting QB is for the Eagles? Joseph should have made no comment all week- allowed the Eagles to prepare for Trevor Siemian and then marched Brock out there the first series. That would be a real competitive advantage.

Why all the PR correctness? Should go for the throat.
                      I don't think that strategy ever actually works, yet coaches love to do it. Nothing is going to change for the Eagles D regardless of who is starting, there is goal is going to be to sellout to stop the run and make the QB beat them with his arm, they are going to practice the same and gameplan the same for Brock or Siemian.

Also, everybody knew Siemian was done after his performance in KC, there's no way any sane coach would send him back out another week after that performance. Everybody knew Brock would be starting this week, why delay it and try to trick them?

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiiancrush View Post
                        Hmmm, when the Browns don’t want you, even with having all the dead money and still needing A QB , but elect too release him, I have my doubts. But I hope your right, and he is just a stop gap till Lynch is healthy enough to start.
                        So, you think the Browns Know what they are doing ? I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                          This is an old topic. Perhaps you should go back and review the facts and timeline. . Elway was in no rush to negotiate for a month. Late Feb he was openly selling the "middle class" QB contract and that this "would not be Osweiler's big contract". A couple of comparisons were in that $8-12M range. Elway didn't even extend an offer until after the HOU rumors started to pick up steam around the first week of March when free agency started.

This has always been a pet peeve of mine. IMO Elway mismanaged the situation. All speculation on my part but If Elway had shown some enthusiasm and negotiated early instead of letting him hit free agency they "might" have signed Osweiler for much less then the HOU offer.

Who knows how things would have turned out for the Broncos or Osweiler if they offered him a 4yr/$50M contract. Would Osweiler have developed into a good starter the past couple years? As the established starter would he have been better then bottom t3rd in QB ranking? Would the Broncos have used that Lynch pick on an olineman?

All hindsight. Who knows how the dominoes fall if handled differently. As for this game... ?
                          It's not the timeline that I am talking about. It's the fact that people have continuously claimed OZ was "lowballed" by JE.

Houston paid him what, $16 mil/year? Do you think he was overpaid by Houston? Or did he live up to that $16 mil they paid him?

Comment

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
                            There was a reason Brock was ahead of Trevor on the depth chart the year's he was. Not saying Brock is going to lead us anywhere, but I believe he's better than Trevor. Hopefully he's got the playbook down.
                            Wasn't that only one season? And Trevor's 1st at that? I would hope the higher drafted 4 year vet would be higher on the chart than the 7th round rookie.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                              I don't think that strategy ever actually works, yet coaches love to do it. Nothing is going to change for the Eagles D regardless of who is starting, there is goal is going to be to sellout to stop the run and make the QB beat them with his arm, they are going to practice the same and gameplan the same for Brock or Siemian.

Also, everybody knew Siemian was done after his performance in KC, there's no way any sane coach would send him back out another week after that performance. Everybody knew Brock would be starting this week, why delay it and try to trick them?
                              I would do it...

I would do it because I can.

-Zealander

Comment

Trevor has played like a Deer in your headlights, Defenses have him figured out. He eyeballs his intended receiver, and D-backs jump the route and you know the rest. Maybe our O line cannot protect our QB, or is it the coach's will not make adjustments after some thing collapses.

OZ, Has his shot this weekend. Strange how it has gone for this guy, Yes he did get his money. It seemed as if he sold his soul and had no respect for the people that brought him into the NFL. This was last year.

Now it seems like it went full circle and he is back with the team. I think Elway was given all the right answers before bringing Brock here, and with us not having a franchise QB, needed to get some insurance and it worked out well for hardly any cost.

Now Brock has another opportunity to show the NFL he is serviceable. I believe he is more mobile than Trevor and if he retained anything he learned under Peyton , this may work out well for the broncos. I expect better results than we had the last 3 weeks.

Lastly, out QB of the future may just be Mr. Irrelevant from the last draft. Go Broncos.

Comment

Working...
                                X