Frustration building in Denver with Broncos' offensive scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    Softness?!? Did softness change from a press-man defensive scheme to an off-zone scheme. Does softness muff punts? Does softness allow five sacks a game at right tackle?

But supposing it is a softness issue, has anyone asked Elway if he regrets cutting TJ Ward? You can make the case cutting a hard hitting, heart and soul type player will make a team soft. Did use the cap saving from cutting TJ to improve the team THIS YEAR??? No, he is going to rollover his savings into next year since Elway gave up preseason.

Elway always has a scapegoat lined up!!!
    Simmons has greatly outplayed TJ, so yeah cutting TJ improved the team "THIS YEAR". TJ can't even get on the field in Tampa behind Chris Conte and Justin Evans. He's been well below average for over a year now, and now this. He's done and I'm glad we were able to replace him so quickly and easily.

Comment

Four guys I feel comfortable backing as not being soft right now are Simmons, Peko, Ray, and Sanders. I can't attest for everyone on the roster, but those guys are definitely putting in work.

Forgot about Wolfe.
      Last edited by Spice 1; 11-19-2017, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
        Simmons has greatly outplayed TJ, so yeah cutting TJ improved the team "THIS YEAR". TJ can't even get on the field in Tampa behind Chris Conte and Justin Evans. He's been well below average for over a year now, and now this. He's done and I'm glad we were able to replace him so quickly and easily.
        Simmons has been great against the rush, but he has not performed as well as TJ in pass coverage. TJ's status in TB is not relevant. Did any reporters during camp say "TJ has lost a step" or "TJ isn't fitting Woods' scheme"? No one did.

Comment

Here's what's funny. Nothing happens in a vacuum and I doubt the coaches sit around going "how great is this" All 3 phases of the team suck right now & none can look in the mirror and go "hey at least my group is playing well"
          Defense - they are an absolute mess. I mean really - TJ was the heart & soul of the D?? They have dissapeared over the last 4 games. The Pats put up 40 against this team & Bill was being kind by not running it up. This is the Pats the last 4 games before Denver : @ Buccaneers W19-14 @ Jets W24-17 vs Falcons W23-7 vs Chargers W21-13 The Pats put up an avg of 22 points before they came up against our "awesome D" ( Yes I get it that our ST ( funny huh?) helped them a lot.) But can you imagine the Bears & Ravens or Seahawks sitting down like this? While Woods hasn't been great the players keep making excuses. IF the D had done their job we would be in the Playoff picture - Von, Aquib, Harris & Wolfe etc need to look into the mirror. About the only thing a bit worrisome is Wolfe saying " We can only follow the plays called" Not sure what that means, but is a bit scary ie Unlike with Wade are the players being held back by poor D calls?

Offense : We have averaged 16 points a game since Oct 1st - not exactly a winning formula. Stop this RB by committee. I don't think CJ is the answer period run Jammal out there most of the game and sprinkle in Booker or Henderson for a burst of speed. And please can we use a slot receiver to free up DT? I mean if I am D Co-Ordinatior all I have to do is blanket DT & I win. As far as QB goes Brock is good enough to win as long as he get's the ball out quick which is why you use the slot & TE routes across the middle to free up DT & Sanders.

ST: All Taylor has to do is free catch and maybe IF he sees a seam try to run it back. You don't need a home run on every kick off or punt which I think was McKenzies problem - he thought his job was to score a TD on every kid so he would get some love on social media & NFL Network.
          Bronco Bob

Comment

Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
            I think it's simply a psychological tactic for motivating the players, some of whom have given up. Make them mad, because coming in angry is better than flat!

Hindsight on decisions is 20/20, and if we have it in order to criticize his moves, he has it too, and privately he is very likely kicking himself for a bunch of these bad choices, because nobody wants the Broncos to win more than him.
            Psychological tactic? You do that in private. He went public because Elway needs to point fingers. Has Elway accepted any blame for personnel moves?

Comment

I think it's simply a psychological tactic for motivating the players, some of whom have given up. Make them mad, because coming in angry is better than flat!

Hindsight on decisions is 20/20, and if we have it in order to criticize his moves, he has it too, and privately he is very likely kicking himself for a bunch of these bad choices, because nobody wants the Broncos to win more than him.
              If Elway has to use psychological tactics to motivate players it reinforces he hired the wrong HC (if that was Elway's purpose for the statement).

Comment

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
                Psychological tactic? You do that in private. He went public because Elway needs to point fingers. Has Elway accepted any blame for personnel moves?
                There's no "rule" as to when or how that's done. In public it's akin to BB material from an opposing team.

Yes, we know you hate Elway and ASSUME the worst about him so you and others (who also hate Elway while denying that they do even though all your actions and words are to the contrary) continue with your character assassination. It's unfounded and getting old, dude.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                  If Elway has to use psychological tactics to motivate players it reinforces he hired the wrong HC (if that was Elway's purpose for the statement).
                  Yes it does, but it's also basically midseason, which is why he's showing support for VJ and some solidarity in leadership because he wants them to turn it around. What would publically blaming himself and VJ's staff accomplish at this point? That certainly wouldn't motivate them or the players! I know the fans think the season is over and because it's a trainwreck we should tank, but I don't think they see it that way.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Assassin27 View Post
                    Didn't Elway do the same thing after we got blown out by Seattle in the SB? He blamed the players and coaches.
                    But he was spot on though. We were too soft and got exposed in the SB. I like him calling the players out, as it puts them on notice. I expect the last of “hired guns” of the defense will be given their walking papers. As well as many offensive changes. 2018, this team will be very different.

I can see some very interesting mov s being made between March and May........
                    #swapping

Comment

I agree 100% here, you cannot tell me that there is anyone on the team that's trying harder or cares more than Elway. Mistakes happen but you need to take chances in real life and in football, sometimes they work sometimes they don't. We fans have had some great times the last few years and more to come, this season can still turn around..:lombardi:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!

CP to ya.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bfallona View Post
                        Here's what's funny. Nothing happens in a vacuum and I doubt the coaches sit around going "how great is this" All 3 phases of the team suck right now & none can look in the mirror and go "hey at least my group is playing well"
                        Defense - they are an absolute mess. I mean really - TJ was the heart & soul of the D?? They have dissapeared over the last 4 games. The Pats put up 40 against this team & Bill was being kind by not running it up. This is the Pats the last 4 games before Denver : @ Buccaneers W19-14 @ Jets W24-17 vs Falcons W23-7 vs Chargers W21-13 The Pats put up an avg of 22 points before they came up against our "awesome D" ( Yes I get it that our ST ( funny huh?) helped them a lot.) But can you imagine the Bears & Ravens or Seahawks sitting down like this? While Woods hasn't been great the players keep making excuses. IF the D had done their job we would be in the Playoff picture - Von, Aquib, Harris & Wolfe etc need to look into the mirror. About the only thing a bit worrisome is Wolfe saying " We can only follow the plays called" Not sure what that means, but is a bit scary ie Unlike with Wade are the players being held back by poor D calls?

Offense : We have averaged 16 points a game since Oct 1st - not exactly a winning formula. Stop this RB by committee. I don't think CJ is the answer period run Jammal out there most of the game and sprinkle in Booker or Henderson for a burst of speed. And please can we use a slot receiver to free up DT? I mean if I am D Co-Ordinatior all I have to do is blanket DT & I win. As far as QB goes Brock is good enough to win as long as he get's the ball out quick which is why you use the slot & TE routes across the middle to free up DT & Sanders.

ST: All Taylor has to do is free catch and maybe IF he sees a seam try to run it back. You don't need a home run on every kick off or punt which I think was McKenzies problem - he thought his job was to score a TD on every kid so he would get some love on social media & NFL Network.
                        Agree with everything except the part about CJ. He is by far and away the best back on this team. Best runner, best blocker, and best pass catcher. When we feed him the ball 20+ we win, and that’s a fact. He’s the back that moves the chains, not JC or anyone else. When we’re rolling between the 20’s, it’s because CJ is heavily used in the lineup. When they decide to put Booker or Charles in inside the red zone, that’s when things get stagnant. Same reason why things fell apart last year when he went on IR. He is the answer for this offense.
                        #swapping

Comment

Yeah I get the part about CJ & I would be fine if we rode him as RB. I would just like to see a running game. CJ can break a long run & I also thing any of the others could too. It's funny Pro Football Outsides ranks CJ down at the very bottom of RB & yet PFF ranks him as #11. ( I was never good at math so PFOutsider has a ton of off the wall stats like physics or accounting (again neither of which I excelled at) running backs are ranked according to DYAR, or Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. This gives the value of the performance on plays where this RB carried/caught the ball compared to replacement level, adjusted for situation and opponent and then translated into yardage. DYAR (and its cousin, YAR, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) But I have to believe if any OC decided to ask Jim Brown or OJ or Emmitt to share touches it would not go well. Having never played nor coached, I am not sure who thought rb by committee was a great idea. Yes rest them if they are getting winded or beat up, but I have to think most would love to keep running until the D is worn down & then crush them in the 4th quarter.
                          Bronco Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bfallona View Post
                            Yeah I get the part about CJ & I would be fine if we rode him as RB. I would just like to see a running game. CJ can break a long run & I also thing any of the others could too. It's funny Pro Football Outsides ranks CJ down at the very bottom of RB & yet PFF ranks him as #11. ( I was never good at math so PFOutsider has a ton of off the wall stats like physics or accounting (again neither of which I excelled at) running backs are ranked according to DYAR, or Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. This gives the value of the performance on plays where this RB carried/caught the ball compared to replacement level, adjusted for situation and opponent and then translated into yardage. DYAR (and its cousin, YAR, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) But I have to believe if any OC decided to ask Jim Brown or OJ or Emmitt to share touches it would not go well. Having never played nor coached, I am not sure who thought rb by committee was a great idea. Yes rest them if they are getting winded or beat up, but I have to think most would love to keep running until the D is worn down & then crush them in the 4th quarter.
                            RB by committee is something that's been around for a while, but made mainstream by Shanny in the post-TD era. But even in that fashion of it, Anderson was the lead back. But the focus was on running and running and running some more, then PAP. Game plan had Anderson getting 20-25 touches and Gary with another 10-15. That was a great recipe..
                            #swapping

Comment

I have to be honest - what scheme works when you assume your OL can protect but they can’t. OL, OL, OL
                              Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

Working...
                              X