Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shane Ray on IR

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/12/1...serve-broncos/

Broncos outside linebacker Shane Ray indicated Monday that his injury-riddled season might come to an end sooner than he had hoped. He was right.

After undergoing his third wrist surgery in less than four months, Ray was placed on season-ending injured reserve with two games remaining in the Broncos’ season.

“Life comes at you sometimes and you have to make the best of things,” Ray tweeted Tuesday. “After my 3rd wrist surgery it’s time that I get healthy so that I can be the best I can be. As always I appreciate the love and support and I’m looking forward to what we will be as a team next season!”

Ray injured his left wrist early in training camp and underwent surgery to repair the ligaments and bones. He was placed on recallable injured reserve and, before returning in Week 8, had surgery to remove the pins in his wrist.

In his eight games, Ray wore a cast that allowed for movement in his fingers but hindered his ability to pass rush, and the pain from the first two surgeries never subsided.

On Friday, Ray had the screws removed that secured the bone in his arm. Had he kept playing, he would have to endure more pain and play with a bigger hard cast. Adding to his frustrations this season was the fact that he couldn’t do much upper-body training because of the injury. As a result, his usual playing weight dropped from about 240 pounds to 225.

“With the screws and everything, I can start my recovery process and getting the strength back in my hand,” Ray said. “Once I get the stitches and all of that stuff out, I can actually start lifting weights. I haven’t lifted weights since the surgery happened. You can imagine how tough it is to play injured, not being able to work out and all of that stuff. It’s been a battle, but I haven’t complained and I haven’t said anything. I just come in and work. It’s tough. It’s football, things happen and you just have to deal with things accordingly.”

Ray is the 13th Broncos player and seventh starter to land on injured reserve this year. He finished his abbreviated season with 16 total tackles (10 solo), one sack and four quarterback hits.

In his place, Shaquil Barrett will likely move back into the starting role, where he opened the season opposite Von Miller. The Broncos will have to make a corresponding move to fill Ray’s roster spot, and they could promote Stansly Maponga from the practice squad or look for outside help for depth. Since the team moved hybrid linebacker/defensive end DeMarcus Walker to the line, Deiontrez Mount is their lone reserve on the edge.

I hate injuries but LOL this season.

Comment

"Ray is the 13th Broncos player and seventh starter to land on injured reserve this year."

Yikes for so many reasons.

Comment

Now it makes so much sense why he hasn’t been a big impact since has been back. I have a feeling he will play with his hair on fire next year and we will see a completely different player than we did this year.
        sigpic

Comment

He is broken. Trade him while the trading is good.

KC would be a great place to start the door knocking.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
            He is broken. Trade him while the trading is good.

KC would be a great place to start the door knocking.
            with our lack of pass rush and the fact that we was looking much better at the beginning of the year I am willing to give him a pass and I think we'd be wise to keep him this off-season.

Comment

Now we know why, but he was trash this season. He even hurt us because the pass rush from his side has been non existent. I wish though he would have said something before, that would have spared us our awful pass rushing stats. Maybe we could have had a couple more sacks. Wish him the best and a great recovery so he can come back even stronger and better.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel B. View Post

In his place, Shaquil Barrett will likely move back into the starting role, where he opened the season opposite Von Miller
                It's a shame he had to lose playing time to a player that clearly wasn't 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by aditheman View Post
                  Now we know why, but he was trash this season. He even hurt us because the pass rush from his side has been non existent. I wish though he would have said something before, that would have spared us our awful pass rushing stats. Maybe we could have had a couple more sacks. Wish him the best and a great recovery so he can come back even stronger and better.
                  Having 1 bum arm is definitely tough, but losing 15 pounds is a really big deal as well

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
                    Having 1 bum arm is definitely tough, but losing 15 pounds is a really big deal as well
                    20 pounds the article has his listed weight wrong. he is listed at 245

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/ro...f-34959c4e774b

either way i hope we chalk this year up to injuries and he returns to the 2016 form. honestly they should have never put him back. i can't assumed he looked good in practice and being down 20 pounds is huge in the nfl. also not being able to work out the top half of his body. this was a huge blunder by the coaching staff and management. the real interesting thing to see will the broncos pick up his fifth year this coming up offseason
                    sigpic
                    oakland raders gm
                    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Per Ian Rapoport and James Palmer:

Unexpected good news for #Broncos: OLB Shane Ray was supposed to have wrist surgery this summer, but the doctor slated to perform it didn’t believe it was necessary, sources tell @JamesPalmerTV and me. He stuck to rehab & his timetable for return is much quicker than anticipated.

I think this is good news - would be nice to see Ray have a chance to make impact this season. Would be awesome to have Miller, Chubb, Barrett and Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

Unexpected good news for #Broncos: OLB Shane Ray was supposed to have wrist surgery this summer, but the doctor slated to perform it didn’t believe it was necessary, sources tell @JamesPalmerTV and me. He stuck to rehab & his timetable for return is much quicker than anticipated.

I think this is good news - would be nice to see Ray have a chance to make impact this season. Would be awesome to have Miller, Chubb, Barrett and Ray.
                        Awesome, hope he's fully healthy. Wouldn't expect him to have a big impact the first few games.
                        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                        sigpic

Comment

Great news!!! A contract year performance is sure to motivate him even further.

I just hope his new bionic wrist is more durable than the old one.
                          To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

It begs the questions, "has he been lifting weights with that bad wrist"? What kind of shape is he in? How much does he weigh? And were the Broncos FO and Coaching Staff taken by surprise by this news, because I hadn't heard a word about Ray not having the surgery until now?

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                              It begs the questions, "has he been lifting weights with that bad wrist"? What kind of shape is he in? How much does he weigh? And were the Broncos FO and Coaching Staff taken by surprise by this news, because I hadn't heard a word about Ray not having the surgery until now?
                              That really depends on what his pre-surgery regimen was and what he and his doctor(s) have implemented for rehab after making a determination that surgery is not required. "He stuck to rehab" would seem to indicate he would not have been lifting with an injured wrist - at least how I read it.

Weight: per the USA today in early June, Ray said his weight was up to 247, 250lbs.

As for the FO and coaches, whether they knew before hand or not may not really factor into any decisions they have with Ray at present. The team already opted out of Ray's 5th-year option leaving everything on Ray to go in to this season and make a case for a contract offer. He's had three surgeries already on that arm, looked like a fourth would be necessary. Denver made the decision to not exercise his 5th-year option in early May and later learned in late May / early June he would need a surgery after all. At that time it looked like the team made a good business decision.

Now that he is not having surgery does not change what was already put in motion and leaves Ray in a place of needing to have a good year.
                              Last edited by Rastic; 07-23-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X