Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Report: C.J. Anderson likely to be traded or released by Broncos. Booker to be #1 RB

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: C.J. Anderson likely to be traded or released by Broncos. Booker to be #1 RB

A changing of the guard is coming to the Denver Broncos' backfield.

ESPN's Jeff Legwold reports starting running back C.J. Anderson "appears to be headed elsewhere" this offseason, via trade or release. Legwold says the team is "intent" on entrenching third-year man Devontae Booker as its new No. 1.

Anderson closed out the Broncos' disappointing 2017 as one of the bright spots with his first career 1,000-yard rushing season, but he was openly wondering what his future would be immediately following the season finale. Anderson's contract is structured in such a way the Broncos could release him, with two years remaining on the deal, without any "dead money'' charge against the salary cap. The team also seems intent on getting Devontae Booker into the No. 1 role. Coach Vance Joseph, somewhat surprisingly to many with the team and in the league, fired assistant head coach/running backs coach Eric Studesville after the 5-11 finish, a move Anderson was particularly critical of on social media. Add it all up and Anderson appears to be headed elsewhere. If that's the case, the Dolphins will have interest given the Broncos matched Miami's deal two years ago to keep Anderson
    Anderson has been something of a workhorse over his five seasons in Denver, rushing 693 times for 3,051 yards (4.4 yards-per-carry) and 20 touchdowns. He's also chipped in 103 receptions for 859 yards and four TDs. He gives maximum effort, is a great teammate and a popular figure in Broncos Country. Those attributes are not in question.

Business being business, however, now is the ideal time to move on from Anderson, whose value is at its peak coming off his first-career 1,000-yard campaign. The Broncos could deal him for a mid-round pick while clearing $4.5 million in cap space, with no dead money hit. They'd save the same amount by outright releasing him.

The Dolphins, as Legwold mentions, are an obvious landing spot if he becomes available. In Miami, Anderson would reunite with former Broncos coaches Adam Gase and Eric Studesville -- with whom Anderson is particularly close -- while pairing nicely with Kenyan Drake in the RB rotation.

Booker, the Broncos' 2016 fourth-round pick, deserves a bigger role after ending 2017 on an upswing. Anderson's departure would also free up more playing time for De'Angelo Henderson and leave open the possibility of adding a runner during the NFL Draft, as previously reported.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-bro...ncos-115111027

Interesting!!! I can see it though. Sell high....in that, at this point he could save us some coin and still get us something in return. Plus RBs are not hard to find in the draft. Business is business.

Then again....could be an opening for a dude named Barkley. (Not likely...but imagine if we were set at QB and strengthened our Oline in FA).

Comment

Obvious move, finally has a healthy, productive season and we need the cap space, his value will never be higher. Would be nice if we could get a 3rd or 4th for him. Or even a quality Oline piece.

Buffalo might be a good trade partner. They need to take some of the load off Shady.
      CJ-McCoy would be a lethal combo. Maybe Miami, but Drake is a playmaker.

Comment

Originally posted by SMR81 View Post
        Obvious move, finally has a healthy, productive season and we need the cap space, his value will never be higher. Would be nice if we could get a 3rd or 4th for him. Or even a quality Oline piece.

Buffalo might be a good trade partner. They need to take some of the load off Shady.
        CJ-McCoy would be a lethal combo. Maybe Miami, but Drake is a playmaker.
        Drake looks good, and don't forget Damien Williams, who got injured late in the year.

Or maybe we go big with Buffalo.....as long as we sign a good QB in FA. Then we trade them CJ and our #1 pick, for their 2 firsts (20 and 21) plus one of their 2nds and a 3rd...or maybe a combo of 2 firsts, more picks and a player.

Just havin some draft related fun!!

Comment

Maybe Miami finally gets him this time around. I'm not sold on Booker being a starter yet though. He needs to have a huge off-season though. Last year's injury really set him back in terms of development.
          Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

I hope we don't go into the season with Book the #1. Hopefully Henderson can beat him out. Signing Jerick McKinnon would be a great choice if we move on from CJ. Would come cheap, explosive and a great pass catcher all over the field. McKinnon makes even more sense if we sign Cousin's, he gets a lot of production out of shifty RBs.

Comment

I hope we don't go into the season with Book the #1. Hopefully Henderson can beat him out. Signing Jerick McKinnon would be a great choice if we move on from CJ. Would come cheap, explosive and a great pass catcher all over the field. McKinnon makes even more sense if we sign Cousin's, he gets a lot of production out of shifty RBs.
              I like your angle too. McKinnon is a really agile back, and would step right in nicely.

As long as we have a power back for short yardage/goal line play.
              Last edited by CanDB; 02-14-2018, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I would agree with this. I really haven't seen much from Booker from a 'running' standpoint that makes me think "Wow, he could be a starting RB in the NFL."

He's not that fast, quick, or agile. He's pretty average as a running back. I'd say he's a better 'receiving' back than a runner...

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                  I would agree with this. I really haven't seen much from Booker from a 'running' standpoint that makes me think "Wow, he could be a starting RB in the NFL."

He's not that fast, quick, or agile. He's pretty average as a running back. I'd say he's a better 'receiving' back than a runner...
                  I'm with you. Booker, like most of our draft picks the last 5 years, has not looked very good. On the surface this makes sense due to saving 4.5 on CJ and trading him while his value is high, plus we spent a 4th rounder on Booker so he should have a larger role, but is he really good enough to be a starter in this league.......... lets hope he makes strides this offseason

Comment

This opens up the possibility of Ballage in the middle rounds.
                    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                    I don't know and I don't care

Comment

This makes no sense to me. The article says Booker finished 2017 on an upswing. What games was he watching? Trading him will be hard....maybe a 5th round pick and what good are those for the most part?

All this would do is open up a hole where we don't have one currently. Those of you advocating for signing McKinnon...what would that accomplish? They wouldn't be saving much $, after having to pay McKinnon, and it would be a downgrade at RB.

If they draft a rookie like Barkley, this would make sense, but not before the draft.
                      sigpic

Comment

Agreed, what is this obsession with Booker ? From everything I have ever seen of him in the NFL, he has looked mediocre. Booker goes down on first contact, can't make people miss in the open field, and looks to have zero confidence or creativity in his running ability. The Monday Night Football crew said during a broadcast last season that this coaching staff planned for Booker to be the starter, and that the only reason he wasn't was because of the injury he sustained early in the year. He has made one nice play in the NFL, a hurdle which was called back on a penalty, outside of this, a whole bunch of mediocre.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                          This makes no sense to me. The article says Booker finished 2017 on an upswing. What games was he watching? Trading him will be hard....maybe a 5th round pick and what good are those for the most part?

All this would do is open up a hole where we don't have one currently. Those of you advocating for signing McKinnon...what would that accomplish? They wouldn't be saving much $, after having to pay McKinnon, and it would be a downgrade at RB.

If they draft a rookie like Barkley, this would make sense, but not before the draft.
                          I understand the idea to let go of CJ because of the dollar savings and no dead cap penalties by doing so, but, I don't agree with making Booker the starter. Especially without even seeing what other competition will be there in training camp. What if Henderson just explodes this offseason and completely impress's? What if they draft a guy like Sony or Guice in the 2nd? I would be willing to bet that either one of these guys would be able to beat out Booker in an open competition in camp.

Comment

I think there are a bunch of running backs going through to rounds 4 or 5 who could easily beat out Booker, Kerryon Johnson is my personal favourite, but I think we already have someone on our roster who could beat him out too, DeAngelo Henderson is better in my opinion and has much more potential.

Comment

I haven’t seen anything from booker that would make me think he can be a decent starting runningback.

Comment

Working...
                              X